Sign in to follow this  
Red Fox

A Game of Thrones

I started reading A Game of Thrones last week and am now just over half way through, which considering the size of this book is something for me. I have probably enjoyed this book more than any other fantasy that I have read in many a long year. It is a huge epic world, with excellent (pretty evil!) characters and some great plot lines and intrigue so far.

This is the first book in the Song of Ice and Fire series and my only concern in starting to read it is that GRR Martin hasn't actually finished writing them all yet, but from the starts of things here the journey will be well worth it!

I read the first two books in the series, but I saw where Martin was going with the story–nowhere–so I decided to cut my losses.

I liked the characters, the dialogue, and the culture and world that he created, but I just couldn’t forgive him for dragging the story out and milking it for all he could.

First it was Jordan, then Martin, now the flavor of the decade seems to be Erikson: these fantasy writers come and go like pop stars, and they never seem to bring closure to their stories before readers move on to the next fad.

For what it’s worth, there seems to be some discontent regarding book four, however most fans still seem favorable towards him. We’ll have to see what book five brings.

I've read the first book (A Game of Thrones) and am currently reading the second book (A Clash of Kings). I really enjoy the books, however I wish there was a bit less violence and nudity in it. Some characters are pretty evil, too evil. I wish there was a bit less focus on sex. On the other hand, everything else is really good. I really love some of the characters. The plot is good too, though it seems to have a few pacing problems sometimes. I really enjoy reading about some characters but there are other characters that I don't enjoy as much. The writing is pretty good, I really love the world and the tension that's created. It's a shame Martin takes quite some time to write a book, the series probably won't be finished for a while.

I've watched the first season of the TV series, and plan to watch the second season after I finish reading the second book. I've heard though that in the third season they take things from books three, four and five so I'll have to wait a while to watch that (but the Blu-ray isn't out for another while so I have some time). I like the TV show, but the books are so much better. The TV series has more violence and nudity in it than the books, to me it seems it's just added on for spectacle's sake, to get more viewers, and I really don't like that.

I have seen the TV series, and it took me a while to settle into it, but then I rather enjoyed it. Is the series a good reflection of the books? The violence is rather near the limit for me though.

There is less violence in the books than in the TV series (which is a good thing, in my opinion). The books add some to it, they make certain things clearer and there are more scenes and more characters. I prefer the books over the TV series.

There is less violence in the books than in the TV series (which is a good thing, in my opinion). The books add some to it, they make certain things clearer and there are more scenes and more characters. I prefer the books over the TV series.

Athena, if you think there is less violence in the books (and sex) than in the show, you haven't yet reached A Storm of Swords and A Feast for Crows. ;)  The show included a very famous (perhaps THE most famous) scene from the books during Season 3.  Hard-hitting as that scene was, it was 10 times worse in the books.

I'll admit I'm a Thronie, although I would never have picked up a fantasy novel if it hadn't been for my daughter who got me into the TV series.  I watched Season 1, got hooked, then read all 5 books.  There is a lot more detail in the books, of course, and characters are fleshed out more, but to be honest, books 4 and 5 are terribly bloated, so I welcome the TV show being pared back to the basic plot and characters.

But a word of warning to anyone getting on board with A Song of Ice and Fire.  We are still waiting for Book 6, and as there was a 7 year wait between Books 4 and 5, we older readers just hope we live to see the end!

Athena, if you think there is less violence in the books (and sex) than in the show, you haven't yet reached A Storm of Swords and A Feast for Crows.  ;)  The show included a very famous (perhaps THE most famous) scene from the books during Season 3.  Hard-hitting as that scene was, it was 10 times worse in the books.

Wow.. good to know that, thanks :).

I just finished the third book in this series, A Storm of Swords.  I wasn't that familiar with the series before the HBO shows came out, but I enjoy fantasy, so I decided to give them a try.  I have since fallen into the habit of reading the book right before I binge-watch the series with my husband (we don't have HBO, so I don't watch it in real time).  I apparently pre-ordered the third season and got a notice in early February that it would ship on the 18th.  That gave me 2 weeks to read the book and I used every second.  I finally finished last night and am ready to watch.

So far, I really like these books.  Martin has created a fantasy world with certain fantasy elements (wights, wargs, dragons, witches, etc.), but for the most part, the main characters are people.  These people live in a time of knights and ladies and Martin has said that he based a lot of the story on the War of the Roses, although it's not a perfect match.  And he's kept it realistic in that good does not always win (in fact, it usually loses spectacularly) and important and sometimes even beloved people die, in battle, from betrayal, and sometimes for no reason.  This has to be one of the few series in which 3 of the very most important characters are dead halfway through the book.  

Martin also writes and plots well.  Although the book was 1177 pages long (I would read and read and read and read on my tablet and only advance by 1%), I never lost interest.  I couldn't wait to get back to it and looked forward to having a lunch alone so I could read. In fact, I thought it was better than the previous two books.  I'm looking forward to watching the third season and finishing the next book before watching the next season.  We may have to break down and get HBO (or the HBO streaming service) because there's another series on right now that I really wish we were watching.  

One of the things I enjoyed in this series is the fact that there isn't the "good side" and the "bad side." The characters change as the story progresses, and you begin to understand their motives for doing what they did, even if you don't agree with them. There are some characters who I hated in the first book but have now become one of my favourites. I like the idea that no one is inherently good or evil - people just adapt to their circumstances and do what they must to survive. In the end, we're all flawed and motivated by family, wealth and power.

It's a pity the books take so long to be released, but I'm not too fussed. I prefer that George takes his time with the story and makes the writing & plot perfect, than get it out there as quickly as possible for the fans without really putting in the effort to make it a good read.

Having said, there's been such a long gap since the last book was released, I'm beginning to forget certain parts of the plot and what has happened to some of the characters. I think I'll need to reread the series.. not that I'm complaining. ;)

Abandon all hope, all ye “A Song of Ice and Fire” readers who enter here: “Game of Thrones” is officially going to spoil how the books end.

Vanity Fair quotes “Game of Thrones” show runner David Benioff discussing how the show and the books by George R.R. Martin will intersect moving forward, what with the upcoming season five expected to cover the two remaining published books in the series. Basically, if you were hoping that “Thrones” would just cough up an entirely different ending than what Martin has planned, well… let’s go right ahead and give those hopes the King’s justice right here and now:

“Luckily, we’ve been talking about this with George for a long time, ever since we saw this could happen, and we know where things are heading. And so we’ll eventually, basically, meet up at pretty much the same place where George is going; there might be a few deviations along the route, but we’re heading towards the same destination. I kind of wish that there were some things we didn’t have to spoil, but we’re kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. The show must go on … and that’s what we’re going to do.”

Translation: “Game of Thrones” will end the same way as “A Song of Ice and Fire,” meaning it’s almost certainly going to spoil the ending of the books, meaning this is absolutely a Red Wedding level event and everything we love just got massacred.

http://www.mtv.com/news/2112889/game-of-thrones-book-spoilers/?xrs=_s.fb_main_c.tv_h.16