Sign in to follow this  
tagesmann

The Three Musketeers

I started reading The Three Musketeers in 2004 after downloading a digital edition from Project Gutenberg. I enjoyed the book so much that I decided to read the other two novels Twenty Years After and The Man In The Iron Mask. The latter I read in the four volume edition (consisting The Vicomte de Bragelonne, Ten Years Later, Louise de Valliere & The Man In The Iron Mask). And I've finally finished.

I thought Twenty Years After was another good story although it did drag at times. As for the various novels in The Man In The Iron Mask, I have to say I was disappointed. Apart from the sheer length, this wasn't so much a story of heroes as political and romantic intrigues.

If anyone is contemplating reading these, I would recommend the first two novels but advise you to avoid the third.

They are actually a series and meant to be read chronologically. The first book is "The Three Musketeers" and the second book is "Twenty Years After" As for the remaining books, it's a bit of a mess. Alexandre first wrote the rest of the saga as a single book called "The Vicomte De Bragelonne", which publishers deemed too long and sectioned them. They were divided into either 3 or 4 books, depending on the publishing house. I have the 3 book version and they order is: "The Vicomte De Bragelonne", "Louise De La Valliere" and finally "The Man in the Iron Mask". The four book version ad "Ten Years Later" between "The Vicomte De Bragelonne" and "Louise De La Valliere". Depending on which version you have, they may start and/or end at different points in the storyline.

So, my recommendation to those who are considering reading the entire saga is to get all the books from the same publisher and the same edition, if that makes sense. Oxford World's Classics has an excellent edition in the 3 book version of "The Vicomte...." for a total of 5 books.

Sorry if that was too confusing!

June

Thanks for that tip June, I'll bear that in mind since I do want to read them all.

Just finished The Three Musketeers today and I loved it! The translation I read was by Lord Sudley and the story was nothing like any of the films that I've seen. I found it a lot easier to remain interested in than the Count Of Monte Cristo (the only other Dumas, I've read) where my attention waned when the Count got to Italy.

I'd recommend this.

I'm still thinking about this and somewhat disappointed insofaras I still want to find out what's happening to D'Artagnan. It's slightly putting me off my next read, which I have already started and I might park it and go straight on to Twenty Years After.