Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

Peter Knows What Dick Likes

Anybody else a fan of Jonathan Meades? I am, but only on TV or in newspaper articles. Years ago I tried a couple of his novels and whilst he is to be congratulated for writing them, I think all praise should go to the brave reader. "Oh no, is the whole book like this?" They reminded me of Italo Calvino.

Not so with his non-fiction writing. He can write a newspaper article better than most (I almost posted about his collection of restaurant reviews for The Times, Incest and Morris Dancing: A Gastronomic Revolution but this seems as good as any of his. Anybody read it?

Meades doesn't know everything, but he comes fairly close. This is a marvellously cynical, well-informed and broad collection of essays, reviews and fiction covering nearly 20 years. Architecture, poetry, gastronomy and the eccentrics of the literary world make up most of the subject material, although there are also excellent pieces on various peculiar microcosms of British life. Guaranteed to infuriate almost everyone, and all the better for it.

(I gather he's on TV currently in the UK which is what prompted me to think of him).

I'm just a little confused...which book is this about?

The book of the thread title doesn't seem to be in print. At least, Amazon only has it used and somewhat pricey.

It's about the book in the title. It's Meades so £42.25 new seems a fair price to me, though I'm sure there are plenty around second-hand - he's that kind of author that people buy and then can't get wait to get rid of. I'd like to think he'd be pleased that it cost so much that it put it out of reach of people who only look at the monetary price of a book.

ETA: My love for Meades comes from his newspaper articles and programmes about architecture, but if this gem about wine is anything to go by, I'll add any of his non-fiction to my TBR pile straightaway.

It's Meades so £42.25 new seems a fair price to me, though I'm sure there are plenty around second-hand
Those are all second-hand prices, going up tp £178.92 - no new ones listed.

It's about the book in the title. It's Meades so £42.25 new seems a fair price to me ...
This guy must be an excellent writer if you say a paperback is worth 40 pounds. I don't know, maybe you would pay so much for it but if you've never read a book by the guy ... well, I wouldn't.

This guy must be an excellent writer if you say a paperback is worth 40 pounds. I don't know, maybe you would pay so much for it but if you've never read a book by the guy ... well, I wouldn't.

I've never been a book "collector" but in certain cases I'm happy to make an exception. Whether I'd go to £178.92 is another matter.

Sorry, Adrian, I don't share your admiration for Meades.

He has been presenting a TV series on in recent weeks. I tried to watch it, but found him such a grumpy so&so that I only managed half an episode. :mad:

Sorry, Adrian, I don't share your admiration for Meades.

He has been presenting a TV series on in recent weeks. I tried to watch it, but found him such a grumpy so&so that I only managed half an episode. :mad:

I'm a big fan of his TV shows. He did one a while back on Salisbury Cathedral that I thought was just wonderful. The way he tied the cathedral into the city, and then went off on history and geography and politics was just sublime.

But he does have that diction and his programmes have that "look" (:cool:)that won't appeal to all. He (and also the team of directors, editors, music choosers, researchers, sunglass polishers) make outstanding telly, and I'm glad he's still being commissioned. Maybe in a few years time he'll be shown here.

Anyway, I think Victor Lewis-Smith is a TV genius too, so what do I know?

assrediffusionhx4.jpg

jpg[/img]

More than I do, clearly; I've never even heard of V L-S :rolleyes:

Clearly quite a bit, because he is.

I'm surprised Russell T. Davies hasn't developed on VL-S's gay Daleks skits. Presumably because that "Doctor Who" episode couldn't be screened at 7pm on a Saturday.

I watched the first episode of his new TV series. Thought it was the best programme I've seen on nostalgia, childhood and England...brilliantly written.

Then our TV broke down and I haven't been able to watch the subsequent episodes... :mad:

I must have missed this thread and just noticed it when someone else was looking.

I love Meades. He's incredibly sharp with an unfailingly interesting take on any number of subjects. I really like his carefully crafted persona and his verbal flourishes are a delight. My favourite from his TV work is the Abroad programmes, which were absolutely unique. The surreal touches that would turn up every now and again were genius.

Funnily enough, a new DVD collection has recently been released.

I have enjoyed the Jonathan Meades television programmes, although I find him hard to take for a whole programme. His style of bombarding the viewer with information and opinion means you reach saturation point quite quickly and you need a mental breather. I find his style oddly similar to Robinson in Space. I think this is particularly because there is a disconnect between his dress/manner (conservative), and his actions/comment (surreal/radical).