Favourite Poems and Poets....

Love Slyvia Plath, favourite poem The Moon & the Yew Tree - favourite line - 'The trees of the mind are black'........

On a lighter note - I like Swinburne for romantic over the top stuff.

Don't tend to stick to one person/genre - like to try a bit of everything really

Hi Trish, I haven't read any of Sylvia Plaths poems - though I've read her one novel, the Bell Jar, which was quite an intense experience. (Am I right in thinking it was a novel, rather than autobiographical? - I'm suddenly not sure which it was.)

I've just been lent "Birthday Letters" by Ted Hughes, by a friend who highly recommends it. Anyone else read it and like to comment on what they thought?

Hi Claire - have left you rather a long reply on the other thread!

The Bell Jar is semi-autobiographical - a lot of those things did happen to Plath - she spent one summer work experience on a magazine - where similar events happened.

It is heavy - as is a lot of her poetry obviously. Ariel is definitely her work of genius & one I would thoroughly recommend.

Have written responses re: Birthday Letters on other thread!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to add Robert Graves into the discussion. He is one of the few writers, in my opinion who can do both novels and poetry.

His war poems are fantastic so is his love poetry.

Amother interesting poet is ee cummings - the first time I came across his work I was blown away by it as it was so different from anything else I had read. Just realised that ee cummings also manages both.

Also if you have children and want to get them into poetry try Michael Rosen and his 'There are an awful lot of wierdos in our neighbourhoold' collection. I hated reading stories aloud and much preferred reading them poems.

The rhythm is absolutely hypnotic, isn't it. Amazing stuff. There's some wonderful spoofs of it out there too, using the same pattern. Have you come across any of them? One about a wedding photographer sticks in my mind - I wonder if I can drag it up on the net somewhere....

On poems with rhythm would like to recommend Hilaire Belloc's 'Do you remember an inn Miranda'

Link here for those of you who might be interested

http://poetry.poetryx.com/poems/6194/

Hi belinda,

I'm never sure what I make of e e cummings. Some bits people have quoted to me have made me go Wow! - but I can never find those bits myself, and he tends to leave me a bit non-plussed. Might go back and have another look, though.

Like you, I love reading poetry to my kids as well. They tend to like even the grown up stuff, if it's short enough, and either easy to follow, or very vivid in it's images, or very rhythmic. They have to be in the right mood, though - and I tend to give them a bit of a precis first, to help them get a better grasp on what's going on! (I sometimes wish someone would do that for me, to be honest!)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, started on modern poets and now everyone is off discussing their faves. How about Roger Mcgough, he has a brilliant poem about milk bottles outside a honeymooning couples door...unfortunately I cant find it! His "Let me die a youngmans death" is also worth a look.

Wendy Cope, short, pithy ,witty poems. She was born in 1945 so very last half of the twentieth century.

I do love more traditional stuff too, Andrew Marvell's "To his coy Mistress", Yeats, Thomas Wyatt (Those supposely written about Anne Boleyn).etc and Wilfred Owen.

But probably my most copied poem is Jenny Joseph's Warning makes a great 40th birthday present!! Its featured in another thread on here as well.

Just realised I have my threads crossed still it can stay here as it will fit as well as elsewhere. And those interested seem to cross threads all the time!

• 2 months later...

I don't read a lot of poetry. Most of the poems I end up reading are war poems in school. We studied Yeats last year but I can't stand his later poetry because he seems so self important and ignorant of how other people live.

One of my favourite poems is "In Flanders Fields" by John McCrae because it's beautifully written and it has a great rhythm and sound. Sassoon is a great poet too but I haven't read much of his work.

Frost at Midnight - Coleridge. Has everything - weather, home,a new baby, a new father, philosophy, musings - the lot! Every time I read it it's as if it's a new poem.

I studied this for part of my degree and wrote about it at length in my exam. I'm yet to really get into poetry of any sort and found the poetry parts of the studies the hardest to get into but ~ I did quite like this poem and was surprised to find it was the first one mentioned on this thread. I don't remember what I said about it now ( I can be forgiven for that, I was very pregnant in the exam!) but I do remember what a lot there was to draw on in it, and a lot of little bits I could quote. And despite my lack of love for poetry, it was my highest mark... so thank you Coleridge, much obliged.

edited to add, I've just checked in my books and I wrote about it in conjunction with A Mother To Her Waking Infant by Joanna Baillie.

(hello Claire!)

I tell you what though, I may get shot down for this but my favourite poetry currently is on a cassette I borrowed from the library for the kids to listen to on the 7 hour journey down to South Wales last week. It was Dirty Beasts by Roald Dahl. We are all still quoting funny bits from it, even my 6 and 4 year olds. And it has actually increased their vocabulary somewhat ~ Mum, what's a porcupine? What does 'jump a foot in the air mean?' Does cow pat mean cow poo? Roald Dahl is great!

Roald Dahl is fab! Didn't know he had written poetry though - other than the bits and pieces that appear in his stories. I'd love to read them.

My kids learnt a lot about cow pats on holiday too - but not from a poem :rolleyes:;)

It's funny, we had a cassette about Thunderbirds, a Pirate story and a story called The Emporer's Underpants as well and the poetry pipped them all to the post, every time.

ps I did post a more serious post above the one about Dirty Beasts!

I did spot your other post - but I felt much more qualified to comment on Roald Dahl and cow pat than on Coleridge, so I thought I'd leave that for someone more knowledgable!

I have some tapes in the car with "proper grown up poetry" on them and surprisingly often the kids will ask to have them on. It's got some narrative poems about famous battles, and highway men and trains and stuff like that on, (can't remember the titles, but they are all famous ones!) and my six year old can follow enough of them to enjoy the story and he seems to like the music in the language as well. Both of them love McCavity the Mystery Cat, as well. That's their favourite.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By CoffeeBron
      I'm looking forward to ensuing discussions, disections and diversions!

A question for my fellow poeteers: who's the poet you've most enjoyed discovering this year?

My answer would be Gerard Manley Hopkins, far and away. I love his spirituality and his use of words.

(Coffee)Bron
    • By Elfstar
      I apologise because I have not had as much time as I thought to find these poems. However here they are separated by some 300 years one by Shakespeare and one by Elaine Feinstein who was born in 1930.

I hope you enjoy them.

Sonnet LXXIII.

“That time of year thou mayst in me behold”

THAT time of year thou mayst in me behold
      When yellow leaves, or none, or few, do hang
      Upon those boughs which shake against the cold,
      Bare ruin’d choirs, where late the sweet birds sang.
      In me thou see’st the twilight of such day 5
      As after sunset fadeth in the west;
      Which by and by black night doth take away,
      Death’s second self, that seals up all in rest.
      In me thou see’st the glowing of such fire,
      That on the ashes of his youth doth lie, 10
      As the death-bed whereon it must expire
      Consum’d with that which it was nourish’d by.
      This thou perceiv’st, which makes thy love more strong,
      To love that well which thou must leave ere long.

Getting older

The first surprise: I like it.
      Whatever happens now, some things
      that used to terrify have not.

I didn’t die young, for instance. Or lose
      my only love. My three children
      never had to run away from anyone.

Don’t tell me this gratitude is complacent.
      We all approach the edge of the same darkness
      which for me is silence.

Knowing as much sharpens
      my delight in January freesia,
      hot coffee, winter sunlight. So we say

as we lie close on some gentle occasion:
      every day won from such
      darkness is a celebration.
    • By Elfstar
      Two poems on the theme of love moving on. Brooke's concentrating on the Jealousy he feels and the Wyatt being rather more bewildered.

I hope these interest you all, the Wyatt is a particular favourite of mine,especially interesting regarding the background and I think the Brooke is a fascinating contrast to his better known war poetry.

Jealousy Rupert Brooke

WHEN I see you, who were so wise and cool,
      Gazing with silly sickness on that fool
      You’ve given your love to, your adoring hands
      Touch his so intimately that each understands,
      I know, most hidden things; and when I know
      Your holiest dreams yield to the stupid bow
      Of his red lips, and that the empty grace
      Of those strong legs and arms, that rosy face,
      Has beaten your heart to such a flame of love,
      That you have given him every touch and move,
      Wrinkle and secret of you, all your life,
      —Oh! then I know I’m waiting, lover-wife,
      For the great time when love is at a close,
      And all its fruit’s to watch the thickening nose
      And sweaty neck and dulling face and eye,
      That are yours, and you, most surely, till you die!
      Day after day you’ll sit with him and note
      The greasier tie, the dingy wrinkling coat;
      As prettiness turns to pomp, and strength to fat,
      And love, love, love to habit!

And after that,
      When all that’s fine in man is at an end,
      And you, that loved young life and clean, must tend
      A foul sick fumbling dribbling body and old,
      When his rare lips hang flabby and can’t hold
      Slobber, and you’re enduring that worst thing,
      Senility’s queasy furtive love-making,
      And searching those dear eyes for human meaning,
      Propping the bald and helpless head, and cleaning
      A scrap that life’s flung by, and love’s forgotten,—
      Then you’ll be tired; and passion dead and rotten;
      And he’ll be dirty, dirty!
      O little and free
      And lightfoot, that the poor heart cries to see,
      That’s how I’ll see your man and you!—

But you
      —Oh, when that time comes, you’ll be dirty too!

They Flee From Me Thomas Wyatt

They flee from me that sometime did me seek
      With naked foot, stalking in my chamber.
      I have seen them gentle, tame, and meek,
      That now are wild and do not remember
      That sometime they put themselves in danger
      To take bread at my hand; and now they range,
      Busily seeking with a continual change.

Thanked be fortune it hath been otherwise
      Twenty times better; but once in special,
      In thin array after a pleasant guise,
      When her loose gown from her shoulders did fall,
      And she me caught in her arms long and small;
      And therewithal sweetly did me kiss
      And softly said, "dear heart, how like you this?"

It was no dream: I lay broad waking.
      But all is turned thorough my gentleness
      Into a strange fashion of forsaking;
      And I have leave to go of her goodness,
      And she also, to use newfangleness.
      But since that I so kindly am served
      I would fain know what she hath deserved.
    • By Ade
      Many moons ago (in June, I think) we started discussing two poems selected by Claire and had, in my humble opinion, some good exchanges of views. Since then, we've tried to keep it going and had some discussion, but it seems to have petered out. Part of the problem, perhaps, is not having an obvious leader?? And the summer didn't help. I'd love for someone to start this again and perhaps coordinate our discussions - what about meg or elfstar who seem to be regulars on this section? Or could Claire be tempted back? Perhaps we could get more people involved in the discussions? Should we give longer for discussions? Or should it only be one poem? I'm pretty desperate for some good discussions and love the way that we disagree, challenge, question etc. Poetry matters and I think we should be doing more with it. What do others think?
    • By megustaleer
      Listening to the radio with half an ear this morning I heard part of an interview with a senior member of the nursing profession (Mavis something?) who has recently received an MBE.
      It seems that she was moved to come to the UK from the West Indies by a desire to see the churchyard of Gray's 'Elegy", and to see daffodils 'Tossing their heads in sprightly dance'.
      It caused me to wonder what influence a particular poem might have exerted on any of us in our choices, big or small. (e.g. Anyone out there wearing purple yet?)