Books you've read because of a movie

Momo

Books you’ve read because of a movie

Rescued Thread - Only found this until entry number 9, there were more.

Momo 5th April 2006, 10:13 PM

Books you've read because of a movie

Sometimes, we go and watch a movie after we have read the book, sometimes we read a book after we have seen the movie.

But sometimes a book gets mentioned in a movie and people read it for that reason. Somewhere I read (maybe even here) that somebody had read Pride & Prejudice after watching You've got mail.

Well, I read Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfeild after watching that same movie. I just came across the book in the library while helping my son to find books and thought, oh, that was mentioned in You've got mail and I never heard of it before (remember, I didn't grow up in the English speaking world). I quite liked it.

I'm sure I will think of more books I have read after learning about them in a movie. How about you?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

megustaleer 5th April 2006, 10:42 PM

As I've posted elsewhere, I'm sure, I don't watch many movies. Also, I have so many book recommendations from here, from friends and from family that I would be reluctant to add another to the list because someone in a movie mentioned it.

However...I do turn myself in all sorts of contorted positions to try and glimpse the title of a book someone is reading in a TV programme. I am just sooo nosy!

MarkC 6th April 2006, 10:19 AM

I read Do androids dream of electric sheep (Philip K Dick)after seeing Blade Runner. The film and book are very different.

Also L'Eau des Collines (Marcel Pagnol - in translation) after seeing Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources. They must have been library borrows as I tried to find them the other day and couldn't.

Finally the short story Rollerball Murder after seeing the original film version of Rollerball, Can't remember the author of that one, it was a long time ago - 2nd or 3rd year of university.

Not a movie but I first read Persuasion after hearing dramatised it as a 'classic serial' on Radio 4.

Grammath 6th April 2006, 01:21 PM

I've discovered quite a few authors who've gone on to become favourites after first becoming aware of their work when it has been adapted for the screen.

To pick three examples, I started reading TC Boyle after I saw Alan Parker's version of "The Road to Wellville" starring Anthony Hopkins (although I haven't read that particular novel), Micahel Chabon after seeing "The Wonder Boys" and Rick Moody through Ang Lee's film of "The Ice Storm".

Since its virtually impossible to capture all of a book's subtleties in 2-3 hours of screen time, I quite often seek out the novel of films I've enjoyed.

Equally, there are a number of novels I'm surprised have never been filmed - where is the screen adaptation of Donna Tartt's "The Secret History", for example?

MarkC 6th April 2006, 03:08 PM

Just thought of another one The Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving. The film is actually a very faithful adaptation of the book, although the casting of Susie the bear seems odd after reading the novel.

donnae 6th April 2006, 04:29 PM

Wizard of Oz is one of my very favourite films - as a child, I was absolutely terrified of the Wicked Witch of the West.

When I discovered the book Wicked by Gregory Maguire, I had to read it. It is the story of the WW before the Wizard of Oz and why she turned out the way she is. A superb book.

I would also strongly recommend the musical "Wicked!" which opens in London in September. We watched it on Broadway and it's fantastic!

Cathy 6th April 2006, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Momo

But sometimes a book gets mentioned in a movie and people read it for that reason. Somewhere I read (maybe even here) that somebody had read Pride & Prejudice after watching You've got mail.[/Quote]I read P+P because I watched Bridget Jones' Diary, then read it, then saw the BBC P+P adaptation, then read P+P so thank you Mr Firth!

I read The Shipping News by Annie E Proulx after seeing the film - which I quite liked though no one else seemed to!

I can't watch The English Patient because the book was too painful. I can't read Captain Corelli's Mandolin because the film was sad (and because

the person I watched it with wasn't happy because the ending of the film wasn't sad enough

Hazel 7th April 2006, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cathy

I read The Shipping News by Annie E Proulx after seeing the film - which I quite liked though no one else seemed to![/Quote]I had read The Shipping News about a year before seeing the film, but watched the film anyway despite misgivings about it being as good ad the film. But I really enjoyed it and thought it was wonderful. It even made me long to move to Newfoundland! And you are right, NO ONE else I know liked it. In fact my sister hated it so much that she won't even give my film recommendations the time of day. No great loss...she likes Jennifer Lopez films.

Momo 7th April 2006, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Momo

But sometimes a book gets mentioned in a movie and people read it for that reason.

My original question had been whether you read a book because you had seen it in another movie (like Pride & Prejudice in You've Got Mail). But your comments were interesting to read, as well. I think I have read a lot of books because I had seen the movie, the first one in my life was probably Gone with the Wind as I had seen it lots of times in the cinema, our local one showed it once a year. Lately, it's more the other way around but I still would pick up a book after I enjoyed the adaptation.

• 3 years later...

I read the notebook because I loved the film, interestingly I watched the film because it was the central point of one show of this random american sitcom type programme that I watched once or twice and totally can't remember the name of. Anyway it was in this show as a film that makes men cry and I thought it sounded interesting - I do like the odd weepy and I watched the film, balled my eyes out and thought "I wonder what the book is like?"

Not as good as the film unfortunately.

I am considering reading the harry potters once I've seen the last film, although I may stick to my guns on not bothering.

I read Pride and Prejudice because of the BBC adaptation and The princess bride because of the film (excellent)

I contemplate but have yet to read 'the never ending story' as I'm not sure it will feel as magic as I'd like.

I am considering reading the harry potters once I've seen the last film, although I may stick to my guns on not bothering.

I'm amazed anyone can understand the Harry Potter films if they haven't read the books. It misses so much detail and unless you have an excellent recall of previous films I would have thought it would be darn near impossible to tie it all together.

Harry Potter books aren't perfect, but they are significantly better than the films, which I think look beautiful, but don't tell the story well at all.

I read Jurassic Park after the film and I loved it.

I read Pride and Prejudice after the BBC version.

I read Larkrise to Candleford after the BBC

I would like to read Slumdog millionaire in future.

I have watched all of the Twilight films and now want to read Twilight to see what the film obviousely couldn't do.

I usually read before I watch.

I have watched all of the Twilight films and now want to read Twilight to see what the film obviousely couldn't do.
I wouldn't bother, ennui - life's too short, really :) They're terrible books, especially the later ones. The first one is ok, I suppose.

I read Harry Potter after seeing the first film and I was aware of the stories of a good few nineteenth-century novels before I actually read them. Not sure whether that was from films r just studying literature.

I'm amazed anyone can understand the Harry Potter films if they haven't read the books. It misses so much detail and unless you have an excellent recall of previous films I would have thought it would be darn near impossible to tie it all together.

Harry Potter books aren't perfect, but they are significantly better than the films, which I think look beautiful, but don't tell the story well at all.

The films are hard to understand in places, lots of characters pop up with no explanation at all - in a way it's like a puzzle to watch and I find that quite interesting and obviously very poor on the effort of the film makers. Also the latest film is quite dull as it's only got one little skirmish and is mostly about camping and not finding anything, thankfully my partner has read the books and mostly fills in the gaps.

the corrections - jonathan frantzen - due to his guest appearance in an episode of the simpsons (ok not a movie but close enough)

singing from the well - reinaldo arenas - i saw the biopic of his life "before night falls" and decided to read him

now similarly music related

i, lucifer - glen duncan - i liked the album based on the book by real tuesday weld

the grapes of wrath - john steinbeck - there was a rage against the machine cover of a bruce springsteen song "the ghost of tom joad"

on the movie part, i also intend readin "winter's bone" by daniel woodrell due to he movie

i also have sitting on my tbr shelf, "the audacity of hype" by armando ianucci who directed and co-wrote "in the loop" movie and the series "the thick of it"

I wouldn't bother, ennui - life's too short, really :) They're terrible books, especially the later ones. The first one is ok, I suppose.

I read Harry Potter after seeing the first film and I was aware of the stories of a good few nineteenth-century novels before I actually read them. Not sure whether that was from films r just studying literature.

I only have the first one so maybe I will hold off on the others until I know whether I am liking it.

Thankyou.

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. The book is better than the movie and the movie is must see. The book also saw me through one of the worst head colds I've ever had!

To have found someone who has seen this film is a wonder. I had it on video, keep meaning to get dvd, and made several friends sit down and watch it, but I don't think it enthralled them as much. Never thought about a book though, will have to look it up.

Bladerunner got me into Phlip K Dick although, at one time, I had a shelf full of Star Wars books!

And to whoever wouldn't watch Captain Corelli's Mandolin, it's not a bad film but won't make you cry, and I'm a weeper!! :)

To have found someone who has seen this film is a wonder. I had it on video, keep meaning to get dvd, and made several friends sit down and watch it, but I don't think it enthralled them as much. Never thought about a book though, will have to look it up.
By John Berendt, Dibs and sooooo worth reading. If you liked the film, you'll love the book (the film is pretty faithful to the book)

I've seen it, I loved it, but then I love the Spacey!

• 2 years later...

I read Godfather because I liked the movie but was not very impressed with the book.

And, strangely, as I read this thread, I recollect a no. of movies based on books, I would love to read some day. LOTR, Twilight and A Song of Ice and Fire (actually a TV series).

My only problem, all these are series books and would take too much time than just watching movies, so I am slightly confused.

A few days back, I saw a movie starring Justin, based on time as currency, does anyone have an idea as to what book this movie is based on? Would love to read it.

A few days back, I saw a movie starring Justin, based on time as currency, does anyone have an idea as to what book this movie is based on? Would love to read it.

It appears not be based on any book in particular: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Time :)

Time as currency is a reasonably common motif though: the wikipedia article linked to does mention in passing some similar works...

Yup Waaow, just read the article. I am pleasantly surprised, finally a brilliant film not inspired by any book! I think, some author should take up this brilliant idea and write a fantastic 2000 pages long book. The movie was too short :(

Though, I did happen to begin reading Anathem by Neal Stephenson a few months back and abandoned it as could not understand the strange time keeper world he was describing. But, after watching In Time I thought may be it was a take off on this novel and I have missed a fantastic read. Thankfully no regrets now :)

Yup Waaow, just read the article. I am pleasantly surprised, finally a brilliant film not inspired by any book! I think, some author should take up this brilliant idea and write a fantastic 2000 pages long book. The movie was too short :(

That used to happen a lot in the 1970s - "novelisations" of successful films would come out, to cash in on the success in another format... often *years* before the film could be seen on television too...

That used to happen a lot in the 1970s - "novelisations" of successful films would come out, to cash in on the success in another format

I always found "the book of the film" pretty unsatisfactory, with far too little additional material such as character development, back story, or sub-plots.

As I also generally find "The film of the book" to be unsatisfactory I avoid either secondary offering.

The first film I ever saw was Kim. I was about 8 or 9 and we were marched off from school in a 'çrocodile' to the cinema. I nearly couldn't go because I was meant to wear full school uniform and my mother had made me wear wellies instead of black laceups that day and our strict Headmistress was very annoyed. This made me nervous all the way there and it was such a relief to hide the wellies in the dark I didn't take in much of the film.

In any case it was a dreadful choice for that kind of age group, but patriotism was very much in vogue at the time and Rudyard Kipling's work having a revival. The vision of Kim hanging on a rope over a pit was all that stayed with me for a long time. I did read the book about ten years later and just thought of it as an exciting adventure, but a recent re-read made me appreciate the detail about that particular time in India and the special relationship between Kim and his Lama. I recently got the film version starring Peter O 'Toole and Bryan Brown and it's still a cracking good adventure.

One day I'll manage to post without needing an edit, even though I preview, sorry. :dunce:

Edited by grasshopper

I recall hearing Mark Kermode on the radio a while back reminiscing about "The book of the film", the point he was making was that in the days of loooooooooong gaps between films appearing at the cinema and on TV, the novelisation and the official soundtrack album (and possibly a film poster for your bedroom wall) were the only ways of reliving the experience of the film for a long while after.

I am terrible if I have read a book and then seen a film about it as I am sitting there going, thats not right, it wasn't like that in the book, etc Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and Half Blood Prince were a prime example of that.

There are a few films I have watched and then read the book and I am totally different then. Some examples of books I have read on the back of watching a tv adaptation or film are The Thorn Birds - which was a huge hit in the late 1970's and the book was so different. Atonement was another one, and more recently Game of Thrones, I got the whole set for silly money (I still can't believe how cheap it was!) from somewhere on the strength of watching the first series.

Atonement was another one, 

Hm, maybe I should have a re-read. I read the book pretty much when it came out (and haven't read since), and have seen the film a couple of times, most recently not that long ago, and I remember thinking to myself "oh, this is pretty faithful to the book as films go..." - what elements in particular did you think are very different?