Sign in to follow this  
Darkstar

Historical Crime Writers

Aha! I have a recommendation that you'd love!

Ariana Franklin. If you haven't read her books already, go check it out. Trust me :) Medieval female apothecarian/forensic detective pitted against a country wrought with superstition, accusations of witchcraft and so on. You can't go wrong with a title like "Mistress of the Art of Death". ;)

p.s. her official site is http://www.arianafranklin.com

Ariana Franklin. If you haven't read her books already, go check it out. Trust me :) Medieval female apothecarian/forensic detective pitted against a country wrought with superstition, accusations of witchcraft and so on. You can't go wrong with a title like "Mistress of the Art of Death". ;)

The crime reading group held at the library I work from is reading this for their next meeting. I was toying with joining them, and your recommendation has helped it swing the balance towards going!

The crime reading group held at the library I work from is reading this for their next meeting. I was toying with joining them, and your recommendation has helped it swing the balance towards going!

hehe glad I could help! It's always fun to turn people onto an author new to them! Let me know what you thought of it after you're done (or post a thread so others can discuss too)

I have read all three of these and love them. I like the central characters but I really read them for the potrayal of Henry II who subsequently has become a bit of a hero of mine. (Yes I read up on the real Henry II)

I'm keen on Lindsey Davis and Falco - she hits a good note with her wisecracking Chandlerseque hero, and the historical detail is far better than in some straight historical novels I've read.

I read the first Falco book and really enjoyed it. However, I was really disappointed with the follow up novel and didn't read anymore. In my opinion, Davis wasn't able to successfully weave the historical information and action together, as effectively as say, Philippa Gregory.