This is the fifth book of Martin Cruz Smith's featuring the cynical, Russian police investigator Arkady Renko. It centers around the apparent suicide of Russia's wealthiest oligarch, who fell 10 stories from his apartment window with a salt shaker in his hand. The investigation takes a twist when a pile of salt is found in his bedroom closet.

First off, I don't often read mysteries, as I find them to be trite and over the top, with the feeling of being phoned-in rather than thoughtfully-written. Martin Cruz Smith is one of the rare exceptions that I have found (he isn't one of those book-a-year kind of writers). His Arkady Renko stories, and this one is no exception, manage to rise above the simple whodunit, realizing that 'who' isn't as important as the lessons that can be learned from 'why'.

His strengths are: extremely intricate plots, vivid imagery, and crisp, if somewhat abstract, dialogue. There is never a wasted word, and I have seldom read an author who could say so much in so few words. Every scene has a purpose, and closes with a comment or summation that lets the reader know more was going on than just a conversation. His observations about Russia, crime, and people are all delivered with a note of conviction and finesse.

My only real complaint about this book would be Arkady's salvation at the climax. I think Mr. Smith is an accomplished enough writer now, and should be able to present a more satisfying climax. However, one small detail can't ruin the brilliant set-up and commentary of the previous several hundred pages.

Much of this story takes place in the 30km Evacuation Zone surrounding the Chernobyl nuclear facility in Ukraine. Given that April 26, 2006 will be the 20th anniversary of the accident, it is a timely book to read; one that combines actual history with scientific and environmental discussion... and suspense.

I would heartily recommend this book - as well as his landmark mystery novel, Gorky Park - to anyone who likes well-written thrillers.

I'm not sure where to put this, so I'll just tag it on to this post as it deals with Martin Cruz Smith and Russia:

For people interested, Martin Cruz Smith has an article in the August 2008 National Geographic about Moscow and the New Russians. It's informative and has a few lines that are quintessentially him--even a few plugs for his Arkady Renko novels. Even if you don't end up buying the magazine, it's worth the few minutes to read it in the store.

Yes, his newest is called Stalin's Ghost, but I haven't read it yet. I'll probably give it a go sometime in the next couple of months now that the price has been reduced. He's written two Renko novels in a row now, I wonder what his next one will be.

Rose is the best of his non-Renko novels, and it's easily as good as his Renko ones. It's actually my second favorite after Gorky Park. Here's a link to the BGO thread on Rose.

Note to the moderators: I goofed up the author's name in the Rose thread. It should be Martin Cruz Smith, not Smith Martin Cruz. Can someone please change it? Thanks.

Note to the moderators: I goofed up the author's name in the Rose thread. It should be Martin Cruz Smith, not Smith Martin Cruz. Can someone please change it? Thanks.

Just noticed that it wasn't changed, so tried to do it for you. Unfortunately, there seems to be a problem with the mod tools tonight, and it won't work. :mad:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Binker
      This is the latest Arkady Renko book by Martin Cruz Smith and it's good in the same way that his other books are good.  Renko has a good heart that leads him into bad situations and not-necessarily-very-good-relationships.  He still observes things that others do not and so ends up solving mysteries that others don't even realize are mysteries.  And Smith still doesn't spoon feed you the conclusions that Renko is reaching, so that sometimes you are surprised by what he says and does (and the results) and sometimes you are not.   

In this book, an investigative reporter, Tatiana Petrovna, falls to her death at the same time that a mob boss is shot and buried.  Renko is the only person who thinks there might be a connection and of course, he's right.  Everything leads to Kaliningrad, the main city in a little outpost of Russia between Poland and Lithuania that I didn't even know existed despite having read all the Wallender books and, I thought, really learning the geography of the area.  Kaliningrad is apparently the location of secret meetings that absolutely must remain secret, but which require the services of a translator.  The translator also goes missing along with his book in which he "describes" the meeting in his own idiosyncratic notes and symbols.  This book travels around and once found, requires a great deal of work to interpret.   Naturally, Arkady solves the mystery of the book, the whereabouts of many of the characters, and the significance of the meeting.  It's fun to tag along on his journey, both physical and mental.  I kept up with him mentally on some things, but did not on others, but that was part of the fun. For example,

Also, it was apparently the murder of Anna Politkovskaya that gave Smith the idea for this book.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Politkovskaya
    • By SlowRain
      Set in Japan, 1941–two days before and the day after the bombing of Pearl Harbor–it tells the story of Harry Niles, an American born, Japanese raised con-man/business owner, as he tries to ward off a possible war between the two countries that he's torn between.

On the one hand, this is a briskly-paced thriller, always keeping the reader interested, but never entirely sure of what's really going on. On the other, it's a wonderfully atmospheric and evocative picture of 1941 Japan, as well as flashbacks to Harry's youth in the 1920's. Smith, a veteran mystery writer of considerable literary skill, does this credible thriller justice as he spins his intriguing web of deception, revenge, betrayal, and love. It also has one of the most creative, non-clichéd uses of a gun as a plot device that I have ever read.

The strengths are the well-researched setting, the detailed narrative, the dialogue, and, for the most part, the intriguing plot. I think the weaknesses were the flashbacks, which sometimes interrupted the flow, and a few coincidences with the plot. However, I don't recommend this to a first time Martin Cruz Smith reader as the climax is a little too vintage Smith, and may put some new readers off of a wonderful author. I recommend reading Gorky Park or Rose first.
    • By SlowRain
      I finished this novel a few weeks ago, but was sufficiently unimpressed. This one was my first disappointment with Martin Cruz Smith. It is definitely my least favorite Renko novel and ranks down there with Stallion Gate in his oeuvre. It seems that Smith has run out of ideas for Renko--but still wants to talk about Russia--so he has resorted to adding recurring characters and relying on clichés. There is also one big surprise in the middle that comes out of nowhere--and it is indeed a doozy--but it actually made me want to stop reading the book. That's something rare for me as Smith is my favorite mystery writer.

The ending of the novel somewhat redeems itself as Smith decided that it was time to put some intrigue in it somewhere, but it was too little, far, far too late. Do not read this as your first Martin Cruz Smith novel. He is much, much better than this.

However, the reason I finally got around to posting about this novel was because of this article about Stalin. If Smith lost the plot in this novel, he at least provided us with a continuing look at Russia as it changes. He is a very good Russia watcher.
    • By tagesmann
      This book was published in 1981 and is set in 1977 at a time when the cold war was at its height and little was known about the internal policing of the Soviet Union. What a great place, then to set a detective novel.

The first third of the book appears to be a conventional detective novel involving the investigation into the murder of three bodies found in Gorky Park. Arkady Renko, a chief investigator with the Moscow militia is assigned to the case and his investigations lead him to discover the murderer.

Upon this discovery and Renko's confrontation with the murder, the novel could have ended and it could be considered to be one of the finest crime novels written. However, Martin Cruz Smith takes things further.

After a short interlude of some 26 pages; the location shifts to New York and an attempt to recover the good stolen by the murder, and the reason for the murders. The twists introduced at this late stage and the exploration of motives is brilliant and lists this book from merely great to brilliant.

• By tagesmann
      From the back cover:
      Fishing in the Bering Sea, a trawler's nets bring up flatsish, pollock, crabs and a blonde girl in a white blouse and blue jeans. Her name is Zina, and she is a crewmember of the Soviet factory ship Polar Star which processes the American trawlers' cathces.
      Detailed to the ship's "slimeline" where the catch is gutted before freezing, is second-class seaman Arkady Renko, formerly Senior Investigator in the Moscow Prosecutor's Office, now a nobody. But Renko is appointed by the Polar Star's captain to investigate the death.

This is the second story to feature Arkady Renko and is as good as Gorky Park. During the investigation we learn what happened to Renko after Gorky Park and how he ended up as the lowliest crew member on a fishing boat.

As the investigation unfolds we discover clues at the same rate as Renko and little is given away. Although initally reluctant to get involved, Renko becomes more drawn into the investigation. He is the same dogged character as before pursuing his on line of enquiry when others would prefer to write the death off as a suicide.

In one scene when a report is produced by the third officer that suggests an accidental death and recommends that the investigation to be postponed until the ship returns to port.

Marchuk motioned Arkady closer. "Renko, do you have anything to add?"
      Arkady thought for a moment and said, "No."
      "Then do you want to sign it?"
      "No."
      "Let's see." Marchuk turned to Arkady. "You disagree with the conclusion that we leave the loose ends for the boys in Vladivostock?"
      "No."
      "Then with what?"
      "Only . . . " Arkady searched for precision, "the facts."