Sign in to follow this  
Flingo

Bookshop or Library???

I don't use my library as much as I should. But I do use it. I generally get books that I fancy reading but don't want to actually buy.

I take the boys every couple of weeks on the way back from school and they usually get something. Our elder son gets a mix of reading books and reference books with the occasional comic book. He often reads them as well! Younger son tends to get the usual story books that we read to him. He has favourites and will often get these books out at regular intervals.

We do buy them books but find that using the library helps us to be a bit more choosy about the books that we do buy.

2010 and I’ve not waited more than a fortnight for either books requested from the archives (e.g two Graham Greene novels) or popular crime like Stieg Larsson’s trilogy or a recently well received non-fiction title like Selina Hasting’s biog of W Somerset Maugham. Rose Tremain, Kate Grenville or P G Wodehouse – just request and no problem.

Well done Rotherham and their very helpful and friendly local branch in Dinnington.

As for books that I know I’ll want to keep - then I’ll buy.

I can't believe those of you who don't use your libraries. They are the one thing that I really, really miss about not living in England. Compared to when we came to live here the internet has transformed my book buying capabilities but there's still nothing like going into a library and being free to select books almost at random just to see what they're like because you know you can return them at once and experimenting hasn't cost you a penny.

Speaking for myself, I can never find anything in my local library that I'd want to try. Maybe it's just me but I get annoyed when my local library can't come up with one copy of Brighton Rock and I have to request/pay and then wait for it. You can't tell me that Graham Greene is an obscure and difficult to find author. And that's only one of many similar incidents that mean that I really can't be bothered with it. I like to choose what to read based on personal preference, not what the library has access to at the time.

My favourite library quote:

My mother and my father were illiterate immigrants from Russia. When I was a child they were constantly amazed that I could go to a building and take a book on any subject. They couldn't believe this access to knowledge we have here in America. They couldn't believe that it was free.

Kirk Douglas

Reading that again makes me a bit ashamed that I don't use my library more. We have a huge library in a beautiful building in the town where I live, and I should go more, but I hate the need to read and return books by a certain time. Maybe now that online renewal is more common, I would use it more if I bothered to go in.

I can't believe those of you who don't use your libraries. They are the one thing that I really, really miss about not living in England. Compared to when we came to live here the internet has transformed my book buying capabilities but there's still nothing like going into a library and being free to select books almost at random just to see what they're like because you know you can return them at once and experimenting hasn't cost you a penny.

Where do you live that has no libraries? - I am never ever moving there!

Speaking for myself, I can never find anything in my local library that I'd want to try. Maybe it's just me but I get annoyed when my local library can't come up with one copy of Brighton Rock and I have to request/pay and then wait for it. You can't tell me that Graham Greene is an obscure and difficult to find author. And that's only one of many similar incidents that mean that I really can't be bothered with it. I like to choose what to read based on personal preference, not what the library has access to at the time.

I often get annoyed at my library for not having books by authors - or in some instances the author at all especially when it's a popular modern author. I find that they will have 4 copies of one title by an author but no other titles by said author at that library but the library on the otherside of the borough doesn't have any of that first title but 2 copies of another. I think it's madness not to spread it out! I also think that in some instances it would be good to rotate author collections. Some Authors are very popular and it must be frustrating as a library user to know that to get another copy in the collection (even an ordered series) you must pay as it will never be rotated to your library if you don't.

Some Authors are very popular and it must be frustrating as a library user to know that to get another copy in the collection (even an ordered series) you must pay as it will never be rotated to your library if you don't.
It's only 50p so nothing that'll break the bank, it's more the waiting around that annoys me. It can take several weeks and I could, and have, read the book in the time that it takes to order it from another library. In the mean time I'm supposed to find something else - presumably already in my collection - to read while I'm waiting, or not read for the weeks it takes. It doesn't suit me so I don't use the service. Anyway, I can and do get very good books, that I do fancy reading, from the charity shop for 50p and get to keep them for as long as I want. They go back to the charity shop for resale once I'm finished so this seems to be a better deal to me.

I use my library all of the time. However, reading some of the comments i think i am extremely lucky to be living a borough with library services that does not charge for reserving books.

I have gotten almost every book that i've wanted, sometimes with an extended wait, but what does that matter when there is still plenty of stuff to read whilst waiting. My library also offers an online reservation/renewal service which means when i see a book i like on amazon etc. i just key it into the library website and reserve.

I have never had to wait too long for a book besides one exception. I went through a phase last year of loving internet poker and the book availability for this was pathetic, but this is an extremely specific niche market and the likes of waterstones here don't have many of the good books on shelf.

My favourite library quote:

"My mother and my father were illiterate immigrants from Russia. When I was a child they were constantly amazed that I could go to a building and take a book on any subject. They couldn't believe this access to knowledge we have here in America. They couldn't believe that it was free.

Kirk Douglas "

I love that!!! *will include somewhere round about the library*

I admit though I borrow from the library where I work (almost all childrens' books) I rarely go to my own local library...why??? I don't even know, it has relocated away from the highstreet and I've never made it to the (apparently amazing) new building. :o

I always get annoyed when people rely too much on a library. As most of you know, I run a RL book club. We choose the books in September for the year. Then some of us buy the books, others rely on the only library we have that has English books. They go there in the month we read the book and then are surprised that the library doesn't have the copy because someone else borrowed it. If I use the library, I borrow what's there. If I need a book, I have to wait if it's not there. As simple as that.

I think this has been said but I go to the library when I want something totally different to anything I would normally read. The library where I am doesn't have many recent titles but it is a little goldmine for older books I might otherwise never have heard of, let alone considered reading.

But at the same time, I love having books that are mine and - and I know I've seen this in the thread - can be left on my TBR pile for longer than a few weeks.

It's a tough question...I love bookshops and I have to be physically removed from them by my friends sometimes or I'd be in there all day but at the same time I couldn't imagine a life without the local library. The first thing I did when I moved to Cornwall, was join the library in town :) You've got me thinking now......and while I'm pondering the subject - I think I have some overdue books out :wonder: oops!!!

When I want a book I usually have a specific book in mind. This is very limiting in my local library.

My local library is hugely popular and the area seems to be filled with avid readers. However after a remodel there are half the books that there were. A huge section is devoted to audio books and half of the library is now filled with computers. The children's are has been improved though. But it's fiction section is now a dismally small area, much of which is non alphebetised as it is "quick choice" etc. I can't check what's in stock online and to reserve costs 80p I could go in and ask the librarians to look at their catalogue for me or spend hours searching.

If I went in with no expectations I am sure something would catch my eye. But really there just aren't as many books now....and....it's never quiet. We have a local charity shop with a room of books that is silent. Everyone naturally hushes, in another the whole basement is books with a coffee machine and sofas.

I appreciate why there have been changes in the library but it seems books are becoming a less central part of it.

If I want to surround myself with books and fiction especially I am much happier in shops. I live close to Oxford so I am spoiled with waterstones and Blackwells.Whenever I go into waterstones there is usually an author signing books and the floor to ceiling presentation of books is great.

In Blackwells I love this again but also that they set up displays of subjects or current deals.

The drawback with shops is the price though. I keep a wishlist of books and pick them up at boot sales or the market place at amazon or play.

But if I want to spend time wandering through books and reading covers etc the book shop usually wins.

I do want to use the library more though, especially for books I am not sure I will like or want to keep.

However after a remodel there are half the books that there were. A huge section is devoted to audio books and half of the library is now filled with computers.....

I appreciate why there have been changes in the library but it seems books are becoming a less central part of it.

Our local libraries did a week of research earlier in the year asking visitors to the libraries their opinions about library content, layout etc. It did seem to be bias towards audiobooks, DVDs and computer usage in the proportion of questions assigned to these topics. I think it is probably where they hope to make money especially now they e-mail us to let us know near to when our books will be overdue which must result in a reduction of revenue from overdue fines.

Our library has a separate reference library on another floor in which you must be silent which is a good refuge for those of us who want to read books before choosing them.

Lately, they have been selling off stock which has been a cheaper way to extend my TBR collection than going to a bookshop. :)