Sign in to follow this  
jbradley

Jack Reacher addict

I have to say that Dallaglio pretty much fits my vision of Reacher.
Size-wise, I'd agree, but Reacher has to be better looking. Dallaglio wouldn't be such a wow with the ladies. No offence, Lawrence, if you're reading.

Hey, I was thinking of an entirely different rugby player - actually, Dallaglio ain't that bad, although I did envision Reacher with a little more hair.

Without Fail

Amazon's Editorial Review

What better way to test the security surrounding a U.S. vice president-elect than to hire someone skilled in the killing arts to penetrate his protection? Assassination strategy, though, is only part of the assignment facing Jack Reacher in Without Fail. This restive, blunt-edged ex-military cop must also determine whether recent threats against VP-to-be Senator Brook Armstrong are legitimate or are primarily intended to embarrass the perfectionist head of Armstrong's new Secret Service detail, M.E. Froelich, who happens to have been a girlfriend of Reacher's late brother.

If Without Fail lacks the emotional urgency of Lee Child's previous novel, Echo Burning, it still barely lets the reader catch a decent breath between plot crests. Jack and his fetching yet formidable colleague, Frances Neagley, must figure out how warning letters to Armstrong are being delivered into the Secret Service sanctum, whether the senator is at risk because of something political or personal, and who staged the demonstration murders of two innocent men also named Armstrong, first initial B. Unfortunately, a few twists (including the source of a thumbprint applied to the threats against Armstrong) can be figured out in advance, and the story is light on character development. A tiny breach in Reacher's reclusive carapace opens as Froelich transfers the love she once felt for his brother toward him, and there are suggestions that Neagley may have depths of feeling just waiting to be plumbed. However, other players are mere ciphers--the sacrificial victims of an action-oriented yarn.

I feel very comfortable with Jack Reacher now. Although Lee Child's style is very easy to read he has drawn a very likeable and quite complex character so that he feels more of a friend to this reader than other regular companions in my reading experiences.

I know this has been discussed before and I really do take Lee Child's work for what it is but I quite regularly find my mind drifting whilst reading him, half a page just goes past and I find I can't really be bothered to go back and re-read it - I think I almost want to skip to the action bits because the rest of it is just fluff. Kind of.

This was particularly emphasised when, having finished Without Fail I switched straight to a Greg Iles, a far superior writer in so many ways, who phrasings, descriptions, and emotional involvement seem to come from a different league.

Anyway, my verdict on Without Fail was that it's good at what it is supposed to be, but not as good as the previous couple in the series.

I feel very comfortable with Jack Reacher now. Although Lee Child's style is very easy to read he has drawn a very likeable and quite complex character...

'Likeable' is in the mind of each individual reader so I'll let that one be, but 'complex'? He's one dimensional at best.

I suppose "complex" might be pushing it a bit, but I think there are some subtleties to his relationships with women, the Army, his brother etc. and his ethics and outlook on life that make him more than one-dimensional.

Lee Child is an absolute genius in his writing style.
As much as I love the books, I couldn't bring myself to agree with you there at all!

He has created a memorable character who gets into some fantastical scrapes - but "genius in his writing style"? I didn't even realise there was a style!

So I searched the Google cache for this thread and didn't find any posts newer than Hazel's above.

As for Child's writing style, I think there is a style of sorts. It's very simply 'functional'. His style gets the reader from A to B in the quickest and neatest way possible and as such he delivers that rapid, breakneck, page-turning novel that the readers adore him for. He doesn't spend time writing long, descriptive prose or even use large words and convoluted sentences to slow the reader down.

I don't know if this is simply a genius way of delivering the novels or if it's because he's unable to produce any other type of writing. Either way, it works!

As for Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher :(

As for Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher :(

Jeez, I know, I can't bring myself to even contemplate watching the film.

I'll be starting the fifth Reacher novel after my current read. I've been consuming them on an alternate basis with other books. They seem to act very well as somewaht of a palette clenser! This is not to diminish them, of course. They are perfect for my current reading situation.

I had a long period of time when I simply did not read, it was quite disconcerting. I used 'Killing Floor' as an easy read to get back into the swing. It was good enough, pacy, action packed all the usual Reacher descriptors, but I solved the main puzzle behind the crime with about a third of the book left, making the rest of it an exercise of colouring in between the lines. I gave Reacher a break for a while and began alternating with other books.

I have come to realise that I apprecaite the Reacher books on a strange level. They are quick and easy to read. I may not be bowled over by the chaterisation of plots all of the time, but I am always gripped, always interested.

They make me enjoy the simple act of reading, itself.

I can't make a bigger recommendation than that.

And yes, I saw teh Tom Cruise film... Terrible, casting. But without prior exposure to the books perfectly watchable.

Hello Krey - am a Lee Child fan too and felt his last book Never Look Back was very much better than the one before which was a bit of a mish mash of him driving around and other odd things happening.  He seemed back in the groove for Never Look Back.  I wonder if they'll do another movie?

Yeah, I heard it and while I was happy with most of the interview, I really wasn't happy with his answer, it smacked of 'I'm giving the answer that I know Cruise and the movie studio would be happy with'. I honestly think that he sold out. With the right actor the Reacher movie could have been the beginning of a great franchise.

I like Tom Cruise's acting and have watched a few of his movies, some I liked better than others.  I agree he doesn't have the physique of Jack Reacher but it's the books that are my main interest.   We don't go to the movies - if I want to watch a movie I get the DVD or get it from the library if they have it.  I think if people hadn't read any of his books before they saw the movie there wouldn't have been much of an outcry but the really serious fans got pretty upset about the whole thing.