Sign in to follow this  
megustaleer

My Cousin Rachel

restored thread

megustaleer 5th May 2006 06:31 PM

Synopsis

:

Orphaned at an early age, Philip Ashley is raised by his benevolent older cousin, Ambrose. Resolutely single, Ambrose delights in Philip as his heir, a man who will love his grand home as much as he does himself. But the cosy world the two construct is shattered when Ambrose sets off on a trip to Florence. There he falls in love and marries - and there he dies suddenly. In almost no time at all, the new widow - Philip's cousin Rachel - turns up in England. Despite himself, Philip is drawn to this beautiful, sophisticated, mysterious woman like a moth to the flame. And yet ...might she have had a hand in Ambrose's death?

I really enjoyed this book. There are many similarities with the more famous 'Rebecca'.

There is a mystery about Ambrose Ashley's death, and his widow is suspected of, among other things, poisoning him. As his nephew Philip struggles with love and suspicion, the reader shares his contradictory views of his cousin Rachel. As in 'Rebecca' the central question is not whodunnit, but the triple one of, did Rachel murderAmbrose, was there anything suspicious about the death of her first husband, and is she trying to poison Philip?

A most enjoyable period romance/mystery.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Sylvia 8th May 2006 08:40 PM

I first read this book when I was in my teens (my mother had a copy). I hated it then, I think because I found the ending very dissatisfying. I was probably hoping for a nice, happy, romantic ending.

I read it again last summer and found it absolutely haunting. I'm still pondering whether Rachel was "guilty" or not.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

elfstar 9th May 2006 06:25 PM

I was reminded of this book when posting in the Couples in literature thread, did I remind you too, Meg?

I have never resolved the answer in my own mind, was she innocent or not?

I think in many ways this is a darker book than Rebecca and leaves even more to the imagination. Strange how in both of them one of the characters is dead but has left an abiding impression...Ambrose and Rebecca.

------------------------------------------------------------

megustaleer 17th May 2006 01:31 PM

:Originally Posted by elfstar

I was reminded of this book when posting in the Couples in literature thread, did I remind you too, Meg?

Yes.

I 'found' it on a neglected bookshelf just a few days after seeing it mentioned on the 'Couples' thread, so thanks for the reminder!

-------------------------------------------------------------

This is my first Daphne Du Maurier book. I found the phe pace measured rather than slow, despite the fact that it covers some period of time. Having Phillip telling the story as an unreliable narrator gives the novel bite. All the time I was trying to guess between the lines as to what exactly had happend to Ambrose and what Rachel's real intentions were.

I found some of the descriptions rich almost to the point of swamping the narrative, but not quite. Reading it I could feel what it was like, see what it was like and understand the effect this had on the characters.

Not all the characters were fully rounded for me. The the important onces, that of Philip, Rachael and Amrbose were. Since they carried the whole book along then perhaps that was all that was important.

As far as the ending was concerned:

Do you really have to decide whether Ambrose was poisoned? Do we really have to decide whether Rachel was being kind to Phillip or only interested in herself? Was Rainaldi as bad as Phillip wanted to paint him? Was Phillip remorseful about not telling Rachel about the bridge? And do any of these things matter?

I think on reflection it was the best of endings in the given circumstances.

I read a fair few books by this author while in my teens and early twenties, so some decades ago, but I cannot for the life of me remember whether I actually read this one or not or just remembered the title.  I was reminded of the book recently while at the cinema when the new film based upon the novel was trailered.  Upon the end of the film we were viewing I of course informed RG that I would be wanting to see the film when it started showing.  I also informed him that I would want to read the book first so upon arriving home he promptly ordered it for me.  Upon receiving my copy I read the book in about three or four days.  Whenever I had the chance my nose was in the book.  I really had forgotten just how good her books are.

The book is well written in an easy to read style.  It is as much about the characters involved as it is about the story.  The main characters for me were very reaI as were the descriptions of the atmospheres in both Florence and Cornwall.  While reading the descriptions of the two places I felt that I just wanted to be there. I for one loved the fact that the ending leaves the reader thinking and so fails to wind the story up completely.  The way that the story unfolded I cannot think of a better way to finish the book than to leave the reader hanging.  Any other ending may well have seemed just a bit too pat.  I still cannot remember whether I have read the book before or not but I am glad that I read it now.

Having read the book RG and I went to see the film on Tuesday.  It did not disappoint.  My only gripe would be that after following the story fairly closely throughout a couple of details that did not appear in the book were added to the ending thus affecting the viewers thinking a little.  I suspect that the film makers did not want to leave the viewer hanging in quite the same way as the author did.  I felt this to be a bit of a shame.  However although I did find this annoying overall it was a pretty good dramatisation of the book and I did really enjoy the film.  

Having read this book I wonder if it is time that I took this author up again as there are still a number of her books which I have not read.  I am tempted.

I read Rebecca years ago and heard My Cousin Rachel as an audio book.  It was read by Mel Gibson and it was a cassette so you know how long ago that was!

I have a collection of her novels and am still looking forward to acutally reading them

I have now finished My Cousin Rachel and loved it.  I did guess the ending but it's an old book and the ending was suitable satisfying anyway.  I guessed that it was set in Cornwall and I kept expecting a Poldark to be mentioned.  I thought that it was an atmospheric book and loved the fact that the plot twisted and turned - I did not guess that Rachel would return the jewels to Philip's lawyer and am not sure of her motives, for example - and loved the fact that the reader gets to decide for themselves if Rachel is guilty, if Rainaldi is a bad influence, whether Philip would come to his senses or not.

It's a classic book as it should be and will be worth reading again.  I still have a few other Du Maurier books to look forward to.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By megustaleer
      I'll Never Be Young Again was Daphne Du Maurier's second book.

His treatment of her is very selfish and, having introduced her to fun and sex, his later neglect causes her to seek her 'fun' elsewhere. Richard (Dick) eventually has to grow up, and leave his life of self indulgence.

Although this book has some wonderful descriptive passages, especially in the 'Jake' section, I disliked Dick so much that it was a struggle to keep reading it.
    • By Minxminnie
      I picked this up in a second hand sale, and I've read it while snow-bound.

It's an odd book in a way - a fictionalised biography of an ancestor of du Maurier, Mary Anne Clark, who went from being a poor East Ender in London to the Duke of York's mistress at the time of the Napoleonic Wars.
      She caused a huge amount of scandal and became a celebrity in her day because, let down by the Duke of York, she exposed his corrupt practices in granting favours to those who wanted to join the military.
      Du Maurier researched the book from the transcripts of the enquiry and later events, and it is a mix of fiction and reportage. Sometimes the latter is a bit dull, especially when it covers questioning about events the reader already knows about.
      But Mary Anne was quite a figure. She got about, in every sense, and she had her fair share of very influential men. I had always thought - from too much reading of Austen, I suppose - that women didn't get away with that sort of behaviour in any sort of polite society, but Mary Anne did! I suppose that's what this book is: the antidote to Austen.
    • By Momo
      Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier - 1938

Rescued Thread - part one of page 1 of 3:

24th September 2006, 04:41 PM
      Hilary
      Rebecca

Can't find a thread about this book on here. I've just begun Daphne Du Maurier's Rebecca. I've had it on my shelf for years and, though I loved Jamaica Inn, I've always put off the idea of reading another of hers. Since I couldn't get going with The Frenchman's Creek anyway. But I have to say, I'm loving this so far...has anyone else read it? (Silly question , someone will have!)

------------------------------------------------

24th September 2006, 04:52 PMr
      Mungus
      Subscriber

I first read Rebecca after seeing the classic Olivier film ages ago. My reliably useless memory meant that I had forgotten the ending by the time I started the book so found it very enjoyable. It's a book I return to again and again because I find it so athmospheric and tense.

I read Jamaica Inn earlier this year and enjoyed it well enough but not as much as Rebecca. I think it seemed more dated. I've toyed with the idea of reading Fisherman's Creek - what was it that you didn't like about it Hilary? I've read somewhere about Du Maurier's 'Cornish Novels', what are the others?

24th September 2006, 06:51 PM
      Claire
      Founder Member

This is one I've been meaning to read for ages. Since there's a thread just started, I might see if I can track it down at the library and give it a go. I've not read any Du Maurier at all, so I have very few expectations, either way.

24th September 2006, 07:03 PM
      Hilary

Frenchman's Creek...well, it's one of those books where I've read the first chapter or two and then got distracted by something else and given up...several times. It just doesn't grab me in the first 50 pages or so and I've never made it any further. I'm sure I will read it at some point, especially if Rebecca continues to draw me in. (but I can't get away from thinking the title might sound a bit rude...maybe that's just me!)

Rebecca reminds me a little bit of Tenant of Wildfell Hall in that it is about a woman who is bound, to a certain extent, by the conventions of her time and situation. And like ToWH, it is so atmospheric and introspective. Mmm, marvellous.

25th September 2006, 09:50 AM
      Hazel
      Subscriber and Resident

My mum gave me Rebecca to read years ago and since then I must have bought 3 copies to replace worn out ones. It's a great book, and full of mystery and suspense.

http://www.joehay.co.uk
      http://www.greenmetropolis.co.uk
      http://www.myspace.com/joehaymusic
      Last edited by Hazel : 25th September 2006 at 03:33 PM. Reason: SORRY!!!! SPOILER ADDED!!!

25th September 2006, 10:55 AM
      Hilary

OH NO! Spoiler! I'm not there yet...

26th September 2006, 08:14 AM
      Hilary

Goodness, it's not a book for the faint hearted is it? I was awake until 5 to 1 this morning reading it until I got to the end as I couldn't bear to stop and try to go to sleep not knowing how it would end. It was so dark and thrilling and I just couldn't see which way it would go, and whether it would end in the way I thought it should...goodness, what a book!
      t

26th September 2006, 08:20 AM
      Amanda Grange
      Subscriber

I so envied you, reading Rebecca for the first time, especially if you didn't know all the twists and turns. It's just fantastic. As well as the plot, I love the descriptions of Manderley. If I ever emigrated and then read Rebecca, I'm sure I would be so homesick I would have to go back to England straight away. The rhododendrons, the tea by the fire, the cove etc all reek of England.
      Available from Amazon
      http://www.amandagrange.com
    • By Starry
      This is only the second book I've read by Du Maurier, the other being Rebecca and I much preferred this one. In fact this is one of my favourite reads of this year. I loved the premise, drugs as a way of time-travelling and although I think there were a few holes and a lot of unexplained parts what I loved was the quality of the writing. She managed to create such a wonderful atmosphere, her historical detail seemed accurate and the slowness of the plot built suspense as well as a sense of frustration and kept me hooked. I liked the characters and felt as if I knew them and the ending was so sudden, I felt quite bereft.

I had not heard of this book before it was recommended to me on Bookcrossing, but I think this one more than Rebecca will make me try more of her books.