Torchwood

Flingo

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it will be interesting to see what they do in terms of repacements. Sadly the name 'Martha' comes to mind; I hope not.

Internet rumour suggests that the two replacements will be

Mickey and Martha. The former presumably from the fallout of whatever phenomenon is causing Rose to appear.

I have to disagree about Ianto - he has some great lines and is the intelligent, slightly nerdy one, so I identify with him!

Tosh's death was unexpected and I did feel a lump in my throat with the erasure of their passwords and the recorded message she had left behind. I sometimes like a bit of sentimental twaddle!

I also thought the finale was far too sentimental, and that the scene where Jack was resuscitated after 2000 years was beyond ridiculous. We've seen him show signs of trauma because he's been alive since fighting in the World Wars (I as well as II?) and now suddenly he's lived 2000 more years, and isn't affected by that at all. And because he can't die or decompose, does the same thing hold now for all his clothes?

That scene irritated me far more than Gwen's wedding - completely implausible bahaviour doesn't bother me in plots that are meant to be humourous the way it does in something more dramatic. Probably because Gwen's wedding still was funny despite the flaw in her going through with it, whereas the ridiculous elements in Jack's behaviour detracted completely from the emotions this episode was trying to provoke.

It was obvious that Owen was going as soon as it was obvious Martha was coming. They don't need two doctors. Martha makes Tosh redundant too, as a character suffering from unrequited love. It's a pity.

However, Tosh too. Shame - she was just starting to get interesting and put in some decent acting turns. I'd much rather have seen the back of Ianto, who has improved a little but is still essentially wallpaper.
I disagree. I've downloaded the Tosh wallpaper and it looks a lot better than the Ianto one.

I thought that Captain John was given a better role in this episode and will hopefully return as an occasional character.

Internet rumour suggests that the two replacements will be

I wouldn't mind the first but not the second, please.

I disagree. I've downloaded the Tosh wallpaper and it looks a lot better than the Ianto one.

:D

I thought that Captain John was given a better role in this episode and will hopefully return as an occasional character.

Yes, all the relationship business and campery of the opening episode didn't help him to shine and I'd like to see him return. I would imagine that's the plan.

I wouldn't mind the first but not the second, please.

If we had to have one of them that would be my choice too but I'd rather they just went with someone fresh.

• 9 months later...

The Beeb has just released a trailer for the new five-night Torchwood story which I think is slated for the summer, 'Children of Earth'.

Torchwood Site

Hmmm. I like the fact we're going to get into some governmental conspiracy (the X-phile in me just won't die...) but the whole children-have-stopped element seems very hokey. They're all rather nicely turned out middle class children too, aren't they?

Anyway, it looks watchable enough.

Hmmm. I like the fact we're going to get into some governmental conspiracy (the X-phile in me just won't die...) but the whole children-have-stopped element seems very hokey. They're all rather nicely turned out middle class children too, aren't they?

Well, yeah. They couldn't show what the scally kids were doing when they stopped...

• 4 months later...

Well, it got off to a very slow start but I was really enjoying it by the end of last night's opener. I won't spoiler details so don't read on if you've recorded it!

It really did let itself become bogged down in the early stages by the character catch-up and redefining the dynamics of the reduced team. I'm getting a bit tired of Russell T's agendas, though. The whole Captain Jack now being Ianto's partner was tiresome, really, and detracted not only from the flow of the story but also from the charisma of Jack, who's not a 'domestic' character. Yes, okay Russell - we got the point a long time ago: it's great to be gay. Yay! Pink rules. However, can you stop ramming it down my throat now *hem* and just tell me the story?

Anyway, the element that's given this some edge is the government conspiracy (which may possibly turn out to involve enforced culling of gay people...too early to say). The children stopping has been trailed so much it failed to shock at all and frankly I just wanted them to get around to the next word in their protracted sentence and get on with it. No kids stopped in the middle of tagging an underpass, I notice. They were all a bit 'nice'. But some deep, dark dealings with aliens in the past lends a satisfying bit of intrigue.

The surprise twist to the doctor (no, not that one...) was effective and I liked the whole Jack-bomb deal, so I'm suitably looking forward to tonight. You have to turn your plot-brain off, of course. If it's all been timed to coincide with the routines of a school day it's odd that the kids we mostly focused on weren't in school. Also I really can't see someone entrusted with the highest secrets in the country merrily giving her system password to a temp. And Cardiff to East Grinstead in 2 hours? I don't think so...

Anyway, good fun on the whole.

What an excellent week's viewing! This really has been Torchwood at its strongest and the first time I can honestly believe it has found its feet.

Finally they understand what 'adult' Doctor Who means. It's not thowing in sex, token bad language and adolescent humour - it's having dark storylines with disturbing moral choices and traumatic events. That's what this week delivered and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Yes, there were weak elements of plotting but you could mostly forgive them. I think the greatest for me was the actual reason why the children were needed. Turning kids into cocaine was about as weak as the machines from the Matrix wanting humans as batteries. It was anti-climactic for sure but the images of the child hooked up to the alien were suitably disturbing.

Another strong point was the excellent cast. I've always respected Peter Capaldi's work and he was a strong presence here, but all round these were impressive and convincing performances. Even from John Barrowman, who has been a bit disappointing in the past. The focus on his terrible moral dilemmas was absorbing and the final one absolutely shocking - this is where Torchwood has finally reached maturity.

Where it all goes from here, though, is another matter. Surely this will have been a ratings success so I would be surprised if there's not another series. Still - no Hub, no Ianto and Jack gone hitchhiking across the galaxy: there's a lot to rebuild. But I think that's no bad thing. The series had created the wrong rut for itself and it never properly got into gear. I suspect all these things had to be ditched in order to move forward. Let's hope it's given the chance!

• 2 weeks later...

Read your post with my eyes half shut David because I don't want to spoil anything as I missed the whole damn series being away and I'd never even heard a hint it was coming up so didn't record it either! Seems like BBC3/BBCHD are trickling out the repeats at one a week...I suppose that stretches out the enjoyment but I really really want to see part 2 now!!!!!

:arms: Loved part 1, how creepy was the kids screaming and the whispering voices?? And a stellar performance from Paul Copley as Clement McDonald - hurrah, a slightly crazy person who isn't overacted!!

I guess stringing it out will keep me going until the new SJA (Sarah Jane Adventures) in September and then the next Dr Who (November?).

Given the poor plot this was the best Torchwood since Season 1. Some of the acting, mostly from the supporting cast was excellent. I do hope Torchwood isn't dropped and perhaps now that Russell T Davis has gone the often immature jokes and reactions will not be repeated. I must keep my eye out for the radio play as I've always enjoyed the Doctor Who ones on BBC7.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The more I read about the return of Torchwood the more dubious I am. It seems like this is Russell T's vehicle for breaking into America and consequently it's pretty well destined to become an American show.

Nothing wrong with American shows, of course, but that isn't what Torchwood was and whilst it was very patchy at the start it really found its feet by the end. Now all that is going to be lost, I expect.

Anyway, you can read the latest stuff, in which it's clear Gwen and Jack are secondary figures, here.