Sign in to follow this  
Top Cat

Calling all BGO cat lovers...

Thanks for your thoughts. We've had (several) drinks in Ruby's honour this evening, and will go to bed thinking happy thoughts. I know it will be awful tomorrow morning when I get up and I have no puss to feed and cuddle before I go off to work.

I know it's what everyone says, LL, but get a kitten (or several!). If they get used to being handled from the start, they are the greatest non-human companions we humans can have. And MrHG is right!

I know it's what everyone says, LL, but get a kitten (or several!).

LOL - we'll wait a bit, but I think we're probably a 'cat family' now. Ruby was difficult because she was middle-aged when she came to live with me, but her quirks made her interesting. Kittens would be lovely though... and I could train them from the start to go to the toilet outside!

Trying to persuade hubby to let us get a kitten just now. He is having none of it though. The boys even came up with the simply adorable name of 'Booger' for the kitten. Boys. Men. Harumph.

Trying to persuade hubby to let us get a kitten just now.

We're not quite ready for another cat just yet, but it seems that all the other neighbourhood cats have realised that Ruby is no longer patrolling her boarders and have moved in. Unfortunately, the chickens' incessant squawking does little to scare them off, so MOH resorts to the 'potato method'. I'll leave it to your imaginations... Normally, I wouldn't bother about trying to scare them away but we have around 50(!) baby sparrows at the moment, and I'm feeling very protective. Oddly, Ruby never used to bother about birds.

I didn't think I would be ready for a long time after Zara, but the house just seems so quiet without her. Her absence is really glaring and even Fletch appears to notice.

Plus, the boys were born into our home with 2 cats already established, I think it would be good for them to raise a cat from being a kitten. I think they would have more of a bond with it.

Strangely, my cats never bothered about the birds either, but the resident grey squirrel is another matter. I am sure he winds Fletch up on purpose.

I'm currently running a Hardest-Looking Cat competition on my blog and Facebook if anyone fancies entering (winning prize is a copy of my book Under The Paw and a box of gourmet cat food).

Entries should be sent to underthepaw@tom-cox.com but there are more details here:

http://littlecatdiaries.blogspot.com/2008/06/win-free-book-and-some-top-quality-cat.html

And here:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=29299339088

Our own Top Cat was on Woman's Hour this morning, taking part in a discussion on pets as family members.

So, who here calls their cat (or dog) 'baby'. or refers to your partner as the pet's 'Daddy' or 'Mummy'?

Not me! My mum insists on referring to me as my cat's "mum". I hate it! I try to convince her that having a cat is like having a flatmate, not a child. Except I wouldn't put out food for a flatmate before I go to work.

So, who here calls their cat (or dog) 'baby'. or refers to your partner as the pet's 'Daddy' or 'Mummy'?

Oh lord, I do. The shame. Especially with the older cat, Fletch, who has always been my baby - though now it is a struggle to pick him up!

We do that with all our cats and dogs. When I say, "we," I really mean my wife does. The only time I do so is when I am walking the dogs in the country, and it's time to head home, I say, "OK, dogs, it's time to find Mummy."

I don't think I ever refer to my husband as the cat's Daddy but I know he always refers to me as the cat's Mummy. I find it faintly amusing if I'm honest. But then he talks to the cat more than I do so I guess I hear more of what they say to each other (!) than I hear of what me and the cat say (!!). I don't think of her as my baby either. Mostly because she is 12 and the kids are 9, 7 and 4 but also because she's, um, a cat! :rolleyes:

Can I officially register my interest in this thread. As of today, we have two gorgeous ginger kittens in our home. One is very bold and brave and already exploring every corner he can get to, the other is still in the cat box, peeping out at us and trying to decide what to make of the whole experience.

As for being called "Mummy" - my daughter frequently calls me Granny, on the basis that if she is "Mummy" to all her soft toys, then I must be their Grandparent......Not dreadfully impressed at being a Granny, aged 34!!

So are you Granny to the cats too? I wouldn't be too impressed by that, either, I must admit. :confused: (though I am already referring to the hens as 'my girls' *looks ashamed*)

Fortunately not! The kids don't feel at all parental towards the kittens, so I don't have to be Grandma to them. They're half way between fascinated and frightened. Real kittens are just as cute and funny as they expected - but have a few more teeth and claws than they had imagined!!

I think on more than one thread now people have shared the joys of Simon's Cat, the wonderful cartoons that have become an online phenomenon. If you're interested the creator - Simon Tofield - is interviewed on Front Row, which for the next week is available on Thursday's Listen Again, here (scroll to about 6.40 mins).

He's there mostly to promote a campaign he was asked to create by the RSPCA warning of the dangers of over-feeding your pets. Since he didn't feel he wanted to make his cat fat he's gone instead for a dog and you can see the result on the YouTube Simon's Cat channel.

(Apologies for allowing a dog onto the cat thread!)