Sign in to follow this  
Top Cat

Calling all BGO cat lovers...

I'm not posting here because I'm a cat lover. I mean, I'm not a cat hater, exactly, they're very cute and all that, but dogs rule, frankly.

Anyways, I am posting because of a bizarre phenomenon I came across called 'Lolcats'. Have any of you seen these? They are pictures ('humorous') of cats with captions, such as:

puzzledkittyvt0.jpg

Okay, shhh a moment....yes, I can hear the sappy 'Ahhhhs' even from here. It is indeed cute. So why am I posting this? Well, apart from general beneficence to cat lovers I'm intrigued by the language element to the Lolcat phenomenon. You'll notice that the cat makes a grammatical error of verb agreement. "Yes, well, he's only a kitten, what can you expect?" I hear you ask. Well, true (apart from the more obvious, "He's a cat. It's frankly remarkable he's speaking at all and I think you're being rather pedantic..."), but in fact this demonstrates a typical characteristic of Lolcats. The web community that devises them has created its own register, so that they (mostly) all speak in this strange way, which is a sort of street-txt patois.

Observe:

ieatdishuminbh1.jpg

This sort of language thing always interests me and does seem to create a very particular and, you might argue, unexpected persona for the cats. Anyway, you can see loads of examples here and here.

Needless to say you will be looking purely to consider the linguistic phenomenon of Lolcat-speak. You aren't enjoying the puddies, okay?

What first drew my attention to this strange phenomenon was a nice little satire for Trek fans, a Lolcat version of The Trouble With Tribbles. No cats, I should add, just stills from the episode with Lolcat-style dialogue. It made me laugh, but it has to be said if you don't know the episode I don't think it'll be very funny. You can see that here. (Note the links at the top are to the same sites I've linked - no further Lolcats, I'm afraid!)

Haven't been around these parts for a while, but just thought I'd let BGO's cat loving community know that my new "catoir", Under The Paw: Confessions Of A Cat Man, is published this week:

There's a bit more info about it at my cat blog: http://littlecatdiaries.blogspot.com

And here's the amazon page:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Under-Paw-Confessions-Cat-Man/dp/1847371418/ref=pd_sbs_b_img_7

I have cats, have had cats most of my life, but don't feel much need to have cat themed paraphenalia around the house, and I hate LOLCATS.

The cats who live with us at present are unlike any cats I have ever known, being very, very demanding of human attention. They are brother and sister who were removed from their parents far too soon, so had no proper cat education. Instead they spent the first seven years of their lives being treated as the babies of their human 'parents'. They expect- and demand - similar treatment from us.

Their ignorance of proper cat behaviour doesn't stop them getting all excited when baby birds start calling for food on 'Springwatch' - they sit in front of the TV absolutely rapt. :D

They also go into 'alert' when they see or hear birds in the garden, but have no idea what the next step should be :rolleyes:

Their ignorance of proper cat behaviour doesn't stop them getting all excited when baby birds start calling for food on 'Springwatch' - they sit in front of the TV absolutely rapt. :D

They also go into 'alert' when they see or hear birds in the garden, but have no idea what the next step should be :rolleyes:

Perhaps you should try demonstrating the appropriate cat behaviour for their benefit, Meg. I used to have a cat that loved to sharpen his claws on my furniture and curtains so I decided to buy a scratchboard which he firmly ignored. Thinking that a demonstration might help I would get down on my hands and knees and scratch away at the board. The only response from the cat was disdainful looks as he clearly thought there was something seriously wrong with me. :scratchhe

Perhaps you should try demonstrating the appropriate cat behaviour for their benefit, Meg.
Sorry, but I just don't have the skills for hiding behind the petunias and making sudden silent pounces on passing pigeons, and the cats are a bit old to take up hunting for their own dinner. Shouting at us to put food in their dishes is much easier.

Sorry, but I just don't have the skills for hiding behind the petunias and making sudden silent pounces on passing pigeons, ...

You could start by changing your BGO nickname to Mogustaleer. ;)

I was walking down the street with two of my children this morning when I saw a black cat dive suicidally in front of a speeding car. For one moment I was frozen with horror, then I grabbed both little boys and span them around so they wouldn't have to see. But the cat was faster than me. The car still seemed to be on top of it as cat emerged the other side, doing this sort of sideways stretched out somersault thing before leaping up and running off. It was like watching something superhuman (superfeline?) but now I understand where the idea about cats having nine lives comes from.

I've mentioned our 5 cats (2 three year olds and 3 one year olds) before. Their hunting abilities continue to improve. They have recently added newts to their list which already includes fish, a rat (live), frogs, birds, mice, eggs (still warm from the nest, but with tiny teeth marks). Tia and Rosie enjoy bringing in feathers as well - there must be a naked bird living somewhere in our village! We often find chunks of bread that have been captured and brought into the house - presumably from a neighbour's bird table.

I've mentioned our 5 cats (2 three year olds and 3 one year olds) before. Their hunting abilities continue to improve. They have recently added newts to their list which already includes fish, a rat (live), frogs, birds, mice, eggs (still warm from the nest, but with tiny teeth marks)..

They brought home a rat?!?!?!? Just how big are these cats???

Oh some relatives of mine have a cat of pretty modest proportions which brought home a young rabbit once which had to be encouraged out of the living room!

Men are basically liars when it comes to cats. They say they don't like them, but just let a cat into the household, and who is seduced by it first? Not the lady of the house.

My used-to-be non-cat-man is absolutely under the paw of our two cats. They are the ones he greets when he gets in from work, they are his first subject of conversation when he has been away for a few hours. He is the one they go to for cuddles.

I'm the one who buys the cat food, empties the litter tray and shoves tablets down their throats.

Your book has a good chance of finding its way into his Christmas stocking, TC ;)

I love cats.

I love dogs.

We have a dog but no cat because MHO doesn't like them and thinks if we had one it would introduce fleas to the house.

Dogs are stupid, cats are independent. But they are both animals whose only purpose (as pets) is to bring enjoyment to their owner. Otherwise, what is the point in having one?

Bella brought hom a live rat last year, then let it go in the front room. I am sure she was pleased at the complete chaos that ensued. It almost resulted in the demise of our TV as I tried to hit the rat with a broom. Fortunately I missed the rat by about 4 feet and the TV by about an inch. Every single piece of furniture was moved out of position as we tried to get the bloody thing out of the house. The 5 cats and 2 dogs were completely useless.

I'm not a cat person. Neither is MOH. But today we had to take our beloved puss to the vets for the last time and we're both devastated. She came to live with me 10 years ago when her old lady owner died. She was incredibly highly strung and an absolute pain in the a**e for most of the time. She hated most people to the point of violence, and would never step foot outside. I have spent probably thousands of pounds on cat litter and kitchen roll as she had a digestive problem which meant that a pile of cat sick was never far from my bare feet.

Then last year Ruby and I moved in with MOH and she became a different cat. She only had eyes for MOH who plied her with previously unknown non-vegetarian bacon and sausages. She made friends with our three chickens and explored other people's gardens. She got stuck up trees! Her new lease of life unfortunately coincided with a tumour and a heart problem which slowed her down, but never dampened her spirit until this weekend. Only last Thursday she managed to swipe a vege-banger off my plate without me noticing until it was too late.

Anyway - the things that struck me, things that I knew about cats already, but which Ruby demonstrated perfectly, were: 1. cats never ever lose their dignity, and when they do - it's time for them to go; and 2. their incredible strength of will. She'd not managed to get upstairs for about 3 months, but yesterday, despite having absolutely no use of her back legs, she managed it somehow. Here's to cats, to people who have them and who've lost them, and to Ruby :notworthy

So sorry for your loss, LL, but it's wonderful to hear what a happy transformation Ruby experienced in her final year which has clearly given you many happy memories to treasure.

Oh L_l, we had to do exactly the same thing for our beloved cat Zara in April. She had been with us for 15 years and a few months on, I am still aware of her absence. It does get easier to remember them, but their absence is always acute.

Much love to you. X