Sign in to follow this  
Momo

Travel Guides

Rescued Thread:

SlowRain 5th December 2006 07:06 AM

Travel Guides

There are many travel guides out there to choose from, I'm just wondering which one(s) you prefer and why?

I usually use Lonely Planet for no other reason than it seems to be the easiest to find and they have a great selection. I can usually find places to stay and eat, see the sights, and find my way around, all on a limited budget.

----------------------------------------------------

Lady Lazarus 5th December 2006 10:58 AM

I'm not a very big traveller, but like the Rough Guide series. Very useful when we went to Sicily.

Momo 5th December 2006 02:33 PM

Even though they are a little more expensive, I love the Dorling Kindersley guides. Whenever I know I will go to a place more often, I try to buy that one before I spend money on something I don't like.

minxminnie 5th December 2006 05:40 PM

I like Footprint! They have good background info as well as tourist info.

I also like using virtualtourist.com where you can browse real people's tips and pick the ones you like to make your own guide book.

Grammath 5th December 2006 06:03 PM

I'm generally a Lonely Planet man, with the exception of trips to North America, when I'd seek out the "Let's Go" guide. As they're Harvard based, I find they generally know what they are talking about when it comes to that part of the world.

Flingo 5th December 2006 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Momo

Even though they are a little more expensive, I love the Dorling Kindersley guides.[/Quote]I also like these, and the Insight Guides. They are printed on glossy paper (as opposed to the Tracing Paper of Lonely Planet and Rough Guides) and have gorgeously sumptuous photos as well, which I then spend my holiday trying to find the real thing.

Rough Guides for me. Tried Eyewitness for Tuscany last year - although they have lots of colourful pictures and information on buildings and main attractions they just don't provide enough info about where to stay, restaurants etc.

The thing is, with that sort of information, it can be correct today and incorrect tomorrow. Restaurants change owners or cooks, same with hotels. As soon as they are mentioned in those guides, they raise their prices because everyone wants to go there etc. I usually rely on locals for the restaurants.

. I usually rely on locals for the restaurants.
Ah, but you can ask them, and understand their replies! Most of us have to rely on guide books...in our own language :o

Ah, but you can ask them, and understand their replies!
Not always, I don't speak every language on this earth. I often rely on a very rare language you might have heard of - English. ;)