Sign in to follow this  
megustaleer

Lunar Park

restored thread

Ade 18th December 2005 10:52 AM

Has anyone else read Bret Easton Ellis' new novel yet?

As I've discussed under the American Psycho thread, I'm a great fan of his work but I'm simply amazed at Lunar Park. I would consider it easily his greatest work yet, cleverly using a range of different genres and, unlike many of the other novels, ending on a note of tentative but tangible optimism. Anyone like to discuss what they made of it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Grammath 19th December 2005 03:28 PM

Not yet, too much of a cheapskate :D .

I'm eagerly awaiting the paperback on the strength of your comments now, Ade.

This was the first Easton-Ellis I have read and it blew me away. Very few authors manage to blur reality and fiction into a gripping story. I found myself wondering how much of the plot was true and if Easton-Ellis was actually writing about a personal breakdown.

The exploration of the links between fathers and sons was so subtle and layered, I really enjoyed this. It connected with me. It also sent a very positive message.

I enjoy Brett Easton Ellis' dark storytelling and this book didn't disappoint. As with the previous readers I started to wonder was the book an autobiography albeit one written on too much acid! The initial confusion is rewarded by a few more twists and turns, but don't take my word for it, read it yourself

Agree with all the comments on Lunar Park. I loved this novel. It was hilarious, shocking, really creepy at times, and genuinely moving. I saw Brett Easton Ellis at a reading of this in Glasgow, and he was really cool and funny. got my copy signed!

Im sure all the writer touring stuff was quite close to the truth, and it was bizarre to be at a book reading tour of Lunar Park. I was half hoping he would be out of his head on drink and drugs, but alas, he seemed perfectly sober!

I also thought is was an excellent commentary/satire on comtemporary American society...quite sickening! Great to hear from Bateman again too!

All in, a fantastic read.

this is a work of genius! prob his best book by far (yes, even better than American Psycho)

Dark, funny, pop-cultural - it's like all the best aspects of his work compressed into one mature, grown-up book.

Really can't reccoment this enough

POND