Momo

Your Favourite Character Ever

Has to be Death, I mean... DEATH from Terry Pratchett's books. He's a scream. :D

That is such a good character. I love him too.

But the winner for me is Poirot. There is something delicious about him, his funny ways, the arrogance, and the love of order.

My favourite character of all time has to be Don Vito Corleone from the Godfather by Mario Puzo.

Oh, the power, the ruthlessness, the clever intellect, the close shaves, the organisation. Marlon Brando in the end (read the book before I saw the film and that's not how I picture Don Corleone but it'll do!).

Everything I'd aspire to really, except the killing.

toss-up between Atticus Finch & Jean Valjean (Les Miserables)

no wait a minute, can't forget...

make that rock-paper-scissors among Finch; Valjean ;& Inigo Montoya (you killed my father-prepare to die) Montoya [the princess bride]

Either Yuri Zhivago (influenced by Omar Sharif's wonderful portrayal) or Lucy Snowe (one of the best female characters ever created imho and with whom I can readily empathise).

Without any doubt whatsoever, it's Owen Meany from John Irvine's A Prayer for Owen Meany.

I loved this character so much that I truly grieved on finishing the book that I wouldn't be spending any more time with him - I've never missed a character like that before or since (and never wept quite so long and loud either!)

I was scrolling through the threads bought up when searching for threads concerning Susan Hill. The idea of having to choose your favourite character ever takes your breath away a bit. Having read some of the old posts many of my favourites have been mentioned many times. Both RG and I have been sitting with our first cup of tea of the day pondering this question.

Jane Eyre is my favourite book of all time so she would rate very highly. However the first grown up book I ever recall reading was Pride and Prejudice so both Lizzie and Darcy would have to have a mention. Also as a teenager I adored the Ane of Green Gables series and thought Anne was the most wonderful girl ever. My love of all these characters have stayed with me for years. Choosing just one seems to me to be an impossible task!

Edited by cherrypie

I checked my answer too and I still can't make up my mind between Don Vito Corleone and John Rebus. Although, having read all of the Rebus novels I believe that I know John Rebus better. So on balance ...................... I don't really know!

Far and away my favorite character is Francis Crawford from the Lymond Chronicles by Dorothy Dunnett.

But I was interested to see that a couple of people had chosen Owen Meany (A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving). He would be my second choice.

I read quite a few of the old posts and it seems that Jo March was a favourite of a numer of people. Little Women was another book I read in my early teens and has stayed with me. Jo was a wonderful character. Our daughter loved the re-make of the film made a number of years back and watched it over and over.

Choosing just one seems to be an impossibility but like Meg I would have to go with my first thought which in my case was Jane Eyre. The character I admired the most may well have been Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mocking Bird. Again this is a character who has been named in other previous posts.

RG is finding it very difficult. He reads a lot of non-fiction and so has less to choose from. He is reading To Kill a Mocking Bird at the moment so maybe he will cosider Atticus.

I hold Mr Pickwick in  the greatest respect and affection and he is really my favourite,  but Galahad Threepwood from the Blandings stories is the one I would love to meet.  Picture a very cheeky debonair David Niven - oh yeah. :flirt:

Edited by grasshopper

I hold Mr Pickwick in  the greatest respect and affection and he is really my favourite,  but Galahad Threepwood from the Blandings stories is the one I would love to meet.  Picture a very cheeky debonair David Niven - oh yeah. :flirt:

I read the Pickwick Papers while in my teens and loved it. Unfortunately I remember very little about it and must get around to reading it again. I wish I retained more of what I have read but my memory is not great these days.

CP and I put this question to our aged Ps to give them something to chew over and, after two weeks thinking about it, my Mum came back with the following from her reading life:

Magwitch - Great Expectations.......for the way in which he completely turned his life around and, in doing so, turned Pip's life around too.  The fact that he was such a hardened villain who, nevertheless, was able to appreciate the kindness of a child and furthermore spent the rest of his life trying to repay it.

Mr Micawber and Betsy Trotwood - David Copperfield.......the former for his endless optimism "something will turn up"......the latter for her 'stuff and nonsense' attitude and the personality to say it as it was.

CP and I put this question to our aged Ps to give them something to chew over and, after two weeks thinking about it, my Mum came back with the following from her reading life:

Magwitch - Great Expectations.......for the way in which he completely turned his life around and, in doing so, turned Pip's life around too.  The fact that he was such a hardened villain who, nevertheless, was able to appreciate the kindness of a child and furthermore spent the rest of his life trying to repay it.

Mr Micawber and Betsy Trotwood - David Copperfield.......the former for his endless optimism "something will turn up"......the latter for her 'stuff and nonsense' attitude and the personality to say it as it was.

Great choices by your mum, RG, especially Betsy Trotwood and her reasons.  I always liked Betsey and how kind she really was, except to the donkeys.  That is the hard thing about this thread, trying to limit the number of characters you enjoy.

Great choices by your mum, RG, especially Betsy Trotwood and her reasons.  I always liked Betsey and how kind she really was, except to the donkeys.  That is the hard thing about this thread, trying to limit the number of characters you enjoy.

I agree Grasshopper that choosing just one character is virtually impossible. I always loved Gabriel Oak for his strength of character, picking himself up from the floor having lost everything and starting again. He seemed to be able to cope with whatever life threw at him without any show of bitterness or jealousy of others. A bit like Atticus Finch he realy was a strong silent man.

Odysseus, the most cunning protagonist from the dawn of European novel writing.

Edited by Romanike

So glad to have another fan of Lonesome Dove on this site.  My reviews are long and gushing.  I have not read Owen Meany, but i can tell I should.