Your Favourite Character Ever

Momo

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole life eating thing just always fascinated me.:yumyum: And I guess I like reading about insanity. *shrugs* I don't really know, he's just one character I really enjoy. :D

Excellent. I think it is fascinating what characters capture our imagination and Renfield is certainly an odd one to do that.

Stephen Maturin, from the Maturin/Aubrey novels by Patrick O'Brian. Not always likeable, often irascible, but with a penetrating intelligence and love of science, and a generous liberality of spirit born out of the Enlightenment. All that sadly fails him when it comes to his own love live, but then (until recently), I can entirely empathise with that as well. :)

Guest Broos

I like this—Jane Ayre to Philip Marlowe to Stephen Maturin. That's a nice selection.

I'd go with Huck Finn. He agonizes over what he's done "wrong," but no matter how awful things get, he manages to keep his compassion and humor intact.

Erm . . . that's in <i>Huckleberry Finn</i> by Mark Twain.

I have to second the vote for Ruby from Behind the Scenes at the Museum.

Also, I properly love Sethe from Toni Morrison's Beloved...a woman stong enough to defy her situation and go through what she did AND still carry on after such awful happenings that occur in the story I have immense respect for.

Sally Seaton from Mrs Dalloway was probably the first character in a novel that made me think about Feminist theory too, so I owe a lot to her.

It has to be Pi from the Life of Pi by Yann Martel. I love his philosophical approach to life and religious views. Definately one of my favourite books as well. Although I too loved reading the famous five books, and the five-find outer books, and i loved those characters at the time, none have stayed with me the way Pi has!

• 1 year later...

I used to know someone who's middle name was Jonathon and because he hardly ever used that name he could never quite remember whether he was Jonathon or Jonathan. He certainly wasn't thick, but I just don't think he really cared so he spelled (spelt?) it what ever way took his fancy.

Oh gosh, I think admire would be stretching it a bit. Bad guys make great characters in stories but you wouldn't want to meet one or model yourself on one.

True, but Heathcliff is often seen as a romantic hero - a character that fascinates, even attracts women through his dark mysterious side. Fortunately, you're not Catherine then, whom I wouldn't want to meet either!

Phoebus

Guest San1968

I have to say Heathcliff - I had decided on this character before I got to the end of the chain. I read Wuthering Heights about 22 years ago and yet when I read the topic it was this character that came to mind immediately. I find him absolutely fascinating and perfectly written -and Lawrence Olivier was the perfect choice in the only film that can to credit to this wonderful book. I have to say though Cathy would be among my most hated characters in fiction.

I think I may read it again :P

• 2 weeks later...