English Icons?

Flingo

Rescued Thread

Flingo 2nd February 2006 03:09 PM

Back to the OP - I wonder if Daisy's comments were linked to this: http://www.icons.org.uk/ ?

You can vote for all sorts of things - morris dancing is one, not sure whether poetry is though! (FYI - Public Libraries is another so get voting!)

EDIT - the OP I was referring to was in the Morris Dancing thread in the Poetry forum, before people get too confused!

megustaleer 2nd February 2006 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Flingo

Back to the OP - I wonder if Daisy's comments were linked to this: http://www.icons.org.uk/ ?

You can vote for all sorts of things - morris dancing is one, not sure whether poetry is though! (FYI - Public Libraries is another so get voting!)

A warning might be in order here: There are over 380 nominations to vote for, and it is still possible to add more nominations. I reached 200, and will finish the rest later.

megustaleer 2nd February 2006 04:21 PM

I have moved the posts above from a thread in the poetry forum, I thought it might be interesting/amusing to comment on the various 'icons'

Flingo 2nd February 2006 06:27 PM

Well done, Meg. I was thinking of posting it in ABB as well, but hadn't got that far!

megustaleer 2nd February 2006 08:26 PM

My attention was caught by things that were getting a high percentage of 'yes' votes which must be coming from people who actually do not participate in those activities...such as Morris Dancing, and The Milk Round. The milk float (another nomination) doesn't stop at many houses in my street these days, so is the milk round part of the nostalgia we feel for the past, like Afternoon Tea, which is surely not eaten in many homes these days.

The Bull Ring, Birmingham, is also included, comparing the latest incarnation with the abomination that was erected in the 60s. The nominee writes as though the 60s monstrosity was the 'original' Bull Ring, but I remember the Bull Ring and market of the 1950s. It was lively, and totally fascinating for me as a child back then. I can still see in my mind's eye the escapologist all wrapped round with chains, and can smell the aroma from the fish-market end.

I don't see the new glossy shopping centre being remembered as vividly in 50years time! Icon indeed!

Momo 2nd February 2006 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by megustaleer

My attention was caught by things that were getting a high percentage of 'yes' votes which must be coming from people who actually do not participate in those activities...such as Morris Dancing, and The Milk Round. The milk float (another nomination) doesn't stop at many houses in my street these days, so is the milk round part of the nostalgia we feel for the past, like Afternoon Tea, which is surely not eaten in many homes these days.

I miss a lot of things from England - but our daily fresh milk deliverd to the door every morning is one of the things I miss most. Now I have to make a trip to the shop much more often, especially since my children don't like anything but fresh milk any more. :rolleyes:

Cathy 3rd February 2006 10:17 AM

I feel strangely left out of this one - despite being English - but why English instead of British?

Cathy 3rd February 2006 10:19 AM

PS If queuing is an option I'd vote for that! What could be more British?

Bill 3rd February 2006 10:23 AM

The thought was that Irish, Welsh and Scottish people have a clear sense of identity, the English less so.

Cathy 3rd February 2006 10:25 AM

Hmm. Works fine as long as we all stay exactly where we were born.

MarkC 3rd February 2006 11:03 AM

I think queueing was on the list - at 39 pages it takes a while to get through though.

megustaleer 3rd February 2006 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by MarkC

I think queueing was on the list - at 39 pages it takes a while to get through though.

Yes, queuing is there somewhere.

Bearing in mind that the nominations can be made by anyone, not all of them seem exclusively English.

Quite a few are more like English cliches than icons.

I did tick 'yes' rather more often than I expected, and I bet if I did it again, quite a lot of my choices would have changed.

There are two nominations which by yesterday evening had more than 95% 'no' votes, which speaks volumes as to the type of person voting.