Sign in to follow this  
Starry

Do Not Pass Go

Restoring old thread:

Starry 23rd March 2006 04:31 PM

I'd heard good things about this book and I wasn't disappointed. It is an interesting and funny look at the history of the Monopoly streets in London. Nothing, not even Moore's affection for his home town will make me like London, but there is no doubt it is a very historic city full of fascinating characters, scandal and eccentricity.

The comparisons with Bill Bryson were bound to happen, but I don't think he is quite up to Bryson's standard. I did get a little impatient halfway through and I think it could have been shorter in places, but it did make me laugh out loud, especially the image of him walking up Regent Street with a very large rolled up map.

From Amazon:

A book that tells the story of London since the thirties through the 28 streets, stations and utilities of the Monopoly board. In Do Not Pass Go Tim Moore...fearlessly tackles the real thing and along the way tells the story of a game and the city that frames it. Sampling the rags and the riches he stays in a hotel in Mayfair and one in the Old Kent Road, enjoys quality time with Dr Crippen in Pentonville Prison and even winds up at the wrong end of the Water Works pipe. And, solving all the mysteries you'll have pondered whilst languishing in jail and many other you certainly wouldn't, Tim Moore reveals how Pall Mall got its name, which three addresses you won't find in your A-Z and why the sorry cul-de-sac that is Vine Street has a special place in the heart of Britain's most successful Monopoly champion. The stirring travelogue of one man's erratic progress around those 28 stations, utilities and street, Do Not Pass Go is also an epic and lovingly researched history of London's wayward progress in the 66 years since the launch of the world's most popular board game

Grammath 23rd March 2006 06:28 PM

Loved this book. As a born and bred Londoner who develops a twitch when venturing much outside the M25, I still learnt lots of stuff I didn't know.

I found it peaked rather early though with his first chapter encounter with a King's Cross prostitute. All quite innocent, before you ask.

Momo 23rd March 2006 09:31 PM

Nothing, not even Moore's affection for his home town will make me like London, ...

What a shame. I love this town, it is so lively! I used to go there a lot when I lived in the UK. :wavey: to all Londoners

^ The book sounds very interesting.

Starry 23rd March 2006 10:44 PM

Ah well, I've only been to the capital a handful of times and coming from the middle of Wales where the air is fairly pure, London is a shock. I hate the fact that my nose gets black from breathing in the smog and I almost fainted on the underground last time I went because the atmosphere was so muggy! But there are so many great things to do that I make a quick dash in every couple of years for a visit :D

Adrian 2nd April 2006 01:55 PM

I read this a while back. It was OK but didn't make me rush out and read any more of Moore's books. The history of Monopoly and the people who created weren't that exciting. Some of his bits about the London streets and landmarks weren't too bad. Probably one for the Lahndaners.

The cover was excellent! Now that's faint praise.