The Little Prince

Flingo

Rescued Post

Claire 13th December 2005, 08:08 PM

I wondered if anyone else had read The Little Prince, by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry?

I first came across it aged about 18, so I never knew it as a child, but I've just read the first couple of sections to my kids as their bedtime story, and they're hooked already. (My eldest is threatening to wake his sister up at 6am, so they can get ready for school really early and have more time for reading before we leave the house - I did NOT smile my blessing on that idea, although I appreciate his enthusiasm!!)

I've loved it ever since I first met it - and even have two copies, one in English translation, and one in the original French.

I think he's something of a cult in France, as he even appeared on one of their bank notes for a while, but does anyone in the UK read The Little Prince much?

Any other fans? Anyone know much about the author?

13th December 2005, 08:21 PM

Flingo

I have read the Little Prince - but don't think I really knew what to make of it!!! I know quite a few people who rate it amongst their favourite books though, so I know that I am strange!

I have very strong recollections of things like the flower, and some of the illustrations (the baobab tree?)

I had a feeling that it was on the BBC list - have just checked and it was rated 180th - so there must be a few fans out there in the UK!

17th December 2005, 10:36 PM

Claire

I'm not sure whether I know what to make of it either, but I love it all the same!

We got to the bit with the Baobab trees this evening. It took quite a lot of explaining to my four year old, why growing huge baobab trees on a tiny asteroid might be a problem, even with the picture to help!

Link now dead

Wonderful book! If you're reading this post and haven't read The Little Prince - you need to rectify that!