Sign in to follow this  
Krey20

Sense and Sensibility

... Then I saw the film version with Alan Rickman as Colonel Brandon and for the first time I thought - maybe Marianne fancies him because he's just, like, dead sexy ;)
I so see your point! :yumyum:

I've recently re-read Sense and Sensibility so would like to contribute to this thread even though there's been a long gap since the previous post on it. On the Marianne-Brandon relationship, the reason why I feel some doubt is the terrific age discrepancy between them - he's old enough to be her father. As we don't know anything about Marianne's relationship with her own father it's not clear what is the basis for psychological plausibility other than the fact that she has lost him when she's still a teenager - perhaps that should be enough. I also wonder about Elinor's choice of Edward; we know why he's constrained but it's still hard to see what is attractive enough about him to make Elinor fall in love with him. On a different aspect, one of the things I like most about the novel is Austen's realism about Lucy Steele. Although she's conniving and spiteful, she ends up very socially successful - bad behaviour rewarded which is something few writers (or film-makers) would allow such female characters until very recently.

As my mother was fond of commenting:

"The devil couldn't match 'em the way they match themselves!"

That's a very good one, Meg.

I also wonder about Elinor's choice of Edward; we know why he's constrained but it's still hard to see what is attractive enough about him to make Elinor fall in love with him.
I don't know. I'm a boring fart with very few social skills but I still managed to find someone who fell in love with me...

Of course, she regrets it now. :)

Have just read this for the first time and was really disappointed with it. I never really got a feel for Edward as almost everything we are told about him we get second hand.

Marianne irritated me - almost until the last page nothing seems to matter but her own feelings which, good or bad, she has to milk to the full. I'd have been happier if Elinor and Colonel Brandon had made a match of it.

I loved Pride and Prejudice and was expecting that level of immersion in the people and the values of the age and I just didn't feel it.

I have to agree with you lucyb, it just doesn't have the same 'depth' as P & P - I have read most of her novel's and Sense and Sensibility is my least favourite. But then, who can compete with Mr Darcy? :)

Just started reading this and I'm wondering which characters I'll like and which ones I won't. I've read four Jane Austens so far and I ended up getting really annoyed with at least one character per book. I guess that's the idea though - Austen's so good at portraying people's foibles and negative traits.

Lucy B, I have to agree with you. I still love Sense & Sensibility a lot for Jane Austen's language and writing, for the characters she depicts so vividly. We all have our favourites and least favourites, I love Persuasion best but can't warm to Northanber Abbey much.

Northanger Abbey is actually my favourite! That might be because I read it when I was 17, a bit dippy and obsessed with mystery novels, so I really identified with Catherine Morland. I wasn't so impressed with Pride and Prejudice or Emma, but the general consensus seems to be that those two are the best.

I think it's nice that we all have our favourite Austen novel, shows that they are not all the same.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Harriet
      I've seen the BBC adaptation about 3 times, but each time I try to read the book I get distracted about half-way through, so I've read the first half about 4 times, but I've never actually finished it. From what I've read though, I think the BBC adaptation is really well done (I've seen old + new) and does the book justice (the old one more, I think).
    • By Seraphina
      **Spoilers** Be warned! (would have used the cool spoiler tag but pretty much the whole post is for people who have already read the book)

I've just finished re-reading Mansfield Park and I'm having dilemmas over the whole Fanny/Edmund/Henry thing! I find the ending quite unsatisfactory, but I can't put my finger on why.....I'm not sure I wanted Fanny to marry Edmund, I almost feel like she should have married Henry, but I'm not sure that would have been satisfactory either...I'm confused!

Does Edmund really love Fanny or is he just settling for second best? Does Fanny only love Edmund because he's the only person who has constantly made her feel special throughout her life? Is she grateful rather than in love? (although SHE obviously believes she's in love, is she mistaken?).

Austen implies that, had Henry not run off with Maria and Mary's character subsequently been revealed to Edmund that Mary and Edmund would have married and Henry would have eventually won Fanny over. Would this have been a happier ending for Fanny or not?

I remember hating Fanny Price the first time I read Mansfield Park, but I have to admit she grew on me a little bit, and I don't hate her so much as I'm exasperated with her. I kept picturing the wee woman with the funny glasses that never speaks in that tv show Teachers! She's a bit annoying but I did want her to be happy and I'm not sure her marriage with Edmund will be so.

What do other people think? I only finished it about 20 minutes ago so all the issues are pretty fresh in my mind and I haven't consolidated my ideas yet. The whole marriage thing comes pretty quickly at the end, doesn't really give you a chance to reflect! Obviously having read it before I knew what to expect but I couldn't remember how it came about. Edmund's attachment seems a little sudden - he thinks of her in a seemingly a-sexual, sisterly way for 99% of the novel, so it's a little hard to accept when he decides he actually loves her as a wife!

So will Fanny and Edmund be happy?
    • By megustaleer
      Although not a favourite of some die-hard Janeites, Austen's pastiche on the then fashionable Gothic novel Northanger Abbey is an enjoyable read.

Catherine Morland meets and falls for a nice young clergyman in Bath. Befriended by the man's sister, Catherine is invited to their home (Northanger Abbey). Having an overactive imagination fed on the Gothic tales she has been reading, Catherine behaves as though she was in one of these overblown stories, and the fledgling romance flounders.

Eventually all is resolved, and everyone who should lives happily ever after.

Northanger Abbey is the current 'Classic Serial' being broadcast in 3 parts on Sunday afternoons on BBC Radio4, (starting today) at 3pm, and repeated the following Saturday evenings at 9pm.
    • By Momo
      Lady Susan - Jane Austen - 1795

I know this is not a very large book, but I read it a while ago and thought I would mention it here.
      Jane Austen never really finished this book. But - though it has an end, she just never refined her work. I would have loved to see this as a complete novel, I'm sure it would have been one of her very good ones. 
      (thread first started 15.01.07)
    • By Momo
      Emma - Jane Austen - 1816
      She might be right there. However, there is something likeable in Emma, after all. She is rather selfish and starts a lot of different things only to abandon them later but she means well with other people. She might be too intelligent for her time, women were not supposed to think.Emma is the Jane Austen's only heroine without money problems, that's already a difference to her other novels. Maybe that's what makes it so interesting.

(thread first started 15.01.07)