Sign in to follow this  
Harriet

Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

I've seen the BBC adaptation about 3 times, but each time I try to read the book I get distracted about half-way through, so I've read the first half about 4 times, but I've never actually finished it. From what I've read though, I think the BBC adaptation is really well done (I've seen old + new) and does the book justice (the old one more, I think).

I've started this book a couple of times, but have never made it all the way through (I'm ashamed to say!)... not the biggest fan of period drama on tv either.. aah maybe one day I'll actually finish the thing!

Harriet and Lady Lazarus - you don't know what you are missing! It might help to try not to think of it as period drama. In some ways the film and tv versions do the book an injustice because they concentrate too much on romance and obvious humour. For me the joy of Pride and Prejudice lies in its gentle and perceptive irony. I must have read it 20 times and each time come away with something new. I do hope you try again and come to enjoy it as much as I do. Have you see the Bollywood Bride and Prejudice?

I agree with BrumB I think your missing out. I started out watching the 95? BBC adaptation and fell in love with it. Then read the novel, which I loved even more. I’ve read all Austen’s novels many times, they are so clever and I love the way the characters keep popping up in my life often in the most unexpected places. I think its Jane Austen’s humour that makes me read them time and again and her exact observations of life. Maybe if you cant stick with P&P you might like to try Persuasion - its every bit as good as P&P but as the story is less well known and the adaptation less popular it can be enjoyed in its own right without an adaptation getting in the way. In some ways it think the P&P adaptations may be too good and interfere with the way the book is read. I’ve seen Bride and Prejudice, couldn’t resist, although I expected to hate it for ruining a perfectly good story. I was surprised to really enjoy it. Ok so it wasn’t really brain food but it was amusing. I haven’t seen the modern take on it.

I've tried to read 'Emma', but like Pride and Prejudice I got distracted about halfway through. I found that when I was reading them I had to keep reading, but if I put them down I didn't feel compelled to pick them back up.

I've just submitted this to a poll on behalf of the Romantic Novelists Association as one of my top 5 romantic novels ever!

It's Darcy. And how he changes from how he see him at first to the declarations of love he stoops to at the end of the story.

Yeah I agree with BrumB, you don't know what you're missing if you don't read the book! Jane Austen is a sarcastic bitter old witch and I love her! She's soo funny, she hides so many little bitchy remarks in every chapter you can't even pick them all up in the first reading - the more you read of her work the more you grow to love her. It's not for everyone though, her novels aren't always a simple read, and even I struggled with Emma in places, but it's really worth it to read them. Just accept it's going to be a slow read and enjoy...! If you try to skim bits just to read it quickly you'll not pick up on the wry, observational humour and without that there's no point.

I've just submitted this to a poll on behalf of the Romantic Novelists Association as one of my top 5 romantic novels ever!

It's Darcy. And how he changes from how he see him at first to the declarations of love he stoops to at the end of the story.

I'm more inclined to Carly's view that Jane Austen was a wicked witch. I think the joy of P & P is the way the different characters in their own ways accept the realities of their world - no less from Charlotte and Mr Collins to Elizabeth and Mr Darcy. To me the least interesting couple are the most 'romantic' Jane and Mr Bingley.

Harriet, you get distracted becasue you are a silly imbecile. How can you say you can't be bothered to read one of the greatest books of all time. (Just joing. You aren't an idiot. Well maybe you are... :D ) Mr Darcy is shown well in the film, but he is easier to fall in love with in the book. Plus in the film Elizabeth is SO NOT how I imagined her.

Much as I love the book, Darcy just doesn't have the passion what Colin Firth gives it in the BBC adaptation. Its quite frightening how cold the 'romantic heroes' of Austen are, I mean who could ever fall for Mr Knightly or Edmund Betram?

I think Austen is a lot darker than she is given credit for, and the adaptations maybe romanticise them more for a modern taste, which is a useful way to get into them but can make them a bit jarring.

I found Darcy in the book so good! And this when I hadn't seen the BBC adaptation, and you can imagine him much better. TV ruins imagination, look at LOTR. I can't believe they're making a new P&P. It can never EVER out do the BBC. I can't imagine another Darcy, even if they are gorgeous they will never come close to Colin.

Colin was actually the second Mr Darcy, the original drama adaptation came out a few years ago....I bought it off ebay agesssssssssss ago but haven't got round to watching it yet.....

i have never been a lover of the classics and have always tended to be easily distracted by a passing fly, or the length of my finger nails or whatever :P , they are just so blah blah descriptions endless superficial conversations blah blah. BUT i have recently read and enjoyed P+P :) . maybe it is because i am older and more mellow...

... now i am looking forward to reading other classics which i previously haven't been bothered with. maybe certain books you have to grow into?

I think Colin Firth was actually the 3rd Darcy, to be really picky, I'm not sure when the first one came out but I think it was the 40s.

Speaking from a completely biased point of view and never actually having seen any of the other adaptations, I don't feel anyone could replace the 1995 version.

Even though there may have been other Darcy's, none of them could even come close to Colin. :o I LOVE HIM! With the exception of George Clooney. The church I go tap dancing at (I discovered it after watching singing in the rain) was where BJD 2 was shot, and Colin Firth acted there! Me and Harriet have proclaimed it holy ground! ;)

I just bought the quiz book (saddo that I am) "So you think you know Jane Austen?" In my case it might be termed as.... "Well scraping the bottom of the barrel as you've bought almost all Jane Austen related books".

Anyway - I was leafing through the questions and one of them raised a point I'd never really considered before...

Why does Wickam elope with Lydia...?

It probably has crossed my mind fleetingly but I can't say I'd ever given it too much thought... but with no prospects and the fact she has friends to protect her (albeit a little late) why does he? And is elope the right word.. according to where they end up in London rather than dashing up to Gretna Green, elope might be Lydia's word for it, but was it Wickhams?

any views?

If anyone's interested I can compile a little quiz later on, from the book, for a bit of Austen literary fun... how well DO you know Jane Austen?

Why does Wickam elope with Lydia...?

Well my view on this - and it might be mentioned in passing in the book, I can't remember now - is that Wickham had no intention of marrying Lydia, but needed to leave Brighton in a bit of a hurry and wanted a bit of company, so to speak, while he was hiding out from his creditors in London. He sweet-talked Lydia into accompanying him with promises of marriage, but it probably didn't take much!

A Jane Austen quiz book would be just the thing I would pick up as well, so I guess that makes me a saddo too. :eek:

I always wondered whether Wickham knew that Darcy had interfered in Bingly and Jane and somehow wanted some small measure of revenge on Darcy and therefore the prospect of eloping with Jane's sister seemed a good idea at the time.

I'm not a JA "fan", insomuch as I have read and enjoyed some of her books, but not repeatedly, and don't know them off by heart! (I don't even know which story goes with which title without going to look at the book:o)

Wickham and Lydia? Well, P&P being one that I have read/seen more than once, I never considered it an elopement in the sense of running away to get married . Just Wickham taking advantage of the silly girl who has been throwing herself at him to provide him with a few 'comforts' while he lies low.

Colin Firth? Never knew what all the fuss was about. He does nothing for me at all, wet shirt or dry! Now the Darcy in my head....!!! :D:D:D

Colin Firth? Never knew what all the fuss was about. He does nothing for me at all, wet shirt or dry! Now the Darcy in my head....!!! :D:D:D

Coming from a 'fan' of the books and someone who watches the films with intrest, I agree with you Megustaleer. I thought Colin Firth was good as Darcy but not THAT good. I appreciated the six hour adaptation that the BBC did for the fact that it was 6 hours rather than 2 hours of film and as a result didn't leave too much out. I enjoy all the dramatisations of the novels as visual attempts to come near the enjoyment of the novels but - well - yup the Darcy in my head is much better than CF! :)

I hadn't seen the show before i read the book, though I knew Colin Firth played him. My copy of the book has a picture of Mr Darcy on it, so my mind kept switching from Colin to the weird guy. Colin played and excellent Mr Darcy and he was described exactly as in the book. The hair, the broodingess and everything. In the film the double wedding annoyed me. And Lizzie shouldn't have given in!

Colin Firth wasn't my ideal Darcy, but I have to say he looks a lot better with the sideburns etc, than he does in real life! The BBC version was a very good adaptation of the book, and I await the new film version with interest. I do love Austen's stories.

Such a shame that there are so few. P&P used to be my favourite, but I think Sense and Sensibility is leading now. I have to admit that until I started studying English at A-level, I had read no Austen at all. We had to read Mansfield Park, and it took me 6 months! Now I love them all, and have read them all countless times. Such a clever lady.

Although her stories were very much of the time, her wit and sarcasm still succeed so well today. I think she is someone that is always worth a second chance.