Sign in to follow this  
Harriet

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Possilbe spoilers)

Apparently JKRowling's finished writing the 6th book, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Wonder who the Half-Blood Prince is gonna be? I read somewhere that JKR was going to call the 2nd one the Half-Blood Prince, but then when she finished writing it it didn't fit in with the story, so there could be some clues there...!

I've just been on her website and found this!

"Harry Potter" author J.K. Rowling has made the announcement on her official website (the message can be found when you figure out how to open the door on the site) that book six, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," is completed and has been delivered to Rowling's English language publishers, who hope to announce the publication date within 24 hours.

She says, "Although I have joked about HP&THBP racing my third baby into the world, I have in fact had all the time I needed to tinker with the manuscript to my satisfaction and I am as happy as I have ever been with the end result. I only hope you feel that it was worth the wait when you finally read it!"

And the official release date is July 16th, and is already available for preordering on amazon!

I'm very annoyed that I won't be able to read it on the day like I have done for the last few, but ah well. Still looking forward to reading it!!!

Any good?

Yes. Read it on Sunday morning. Think Rowling's editor did not do the book any favours. It could have been cut by about 20%.

It is quite different from the other books in that there are not lots of cliff hanger chapters.

Fair bit of luuuuuurve and betrayal.

The importance of loyalty comes over strongly.

Think if you are aged between 8 - 12 you would be disappointed but after that think most people would enjoy it.

I will not be able to get the book before september (don't ask) can anybody please tell me the story?

I usually get to read the end first as I hate the suspence. Once I know how it goes I am able to read the story with pleasure and enjoy the drama.

In this way at least I will be able to follow the discussion and not feel left out for a whole month!Thank you

Disappointing, on balance. It was similar to the previous two in being over-long and rather listless until the last few chapters when it takes off in an explosion of action and revelations. It was different from the previous two in not even having any decent action and drama along the way. A frequent problem with the series has been the lengthy 'Dumbledump' at the end, where the sage wizard tells Harry what everything meant. Unfortunately we now have Dumbledumps throughout as the Headmaster takes Harry into the pensieve to view scenes from Voldemort's earlier life. Obviously, since we see these events it's not quite as bad as their being narrated, but the effect is not dissimilar. Bizzarely, though, these are perhaps the most interesting parts because so little happens otherwise. Harry at least doesn't SHOUT A LOT ANY MORE because he's A TEENAGER AND THEY SHOUT A LOT, DON'T THEY! However, we still have the other teenage cliche of who fancies whom and lots of snogging. Ho hum.

The Half-Blood Prince doesn't really feature much, though the final twist about him is pretty good. I rather think I should have guessed it, actually - perhaps I was being sent into Dumblecoma.

The problem is that the novelty has worn off. We know all about the magical quirks of Hogwarts etc. and whilst it's certainly pleasant to re-enter the effectively imagined world, it's not enough in itself. Rowling really spends her time simply setting us up for the ending and - to be honest - the final book. Everything about this has the feel of preparation and perhaps the ultimate payoff in a couple of years will justify it, but in its own right this is fairly mediocre. Azkaban remains the highlight of the series by a long way and should certainly have won the overall Whitbread that year. Rowling is said to be frustrated by Potter, wanting to be seen as a serious and accomplished author of adult novels. Perhaps that explains much of what's happened to the series.

It was similar to the previous two in being over-long

About the length, someone said something interesting to me the other day. Although everyone complains about the length, there would be more complaints if they went back to being the thickness of Philosophers Stone! We'd all feel short-changed if they suddenly got shorter again, wouldn't we? I think that they need to get longer each time now, or Goblet would have needed to have stayed shorter!