Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Chance Encounters With The Famous

In the early 80s I went to see Dizzy Gillespie at Ronny Scott's Jazz Club. I had been in London doing a Chemistry A level practical exam and had popped round to see my aunt on the off chance and ended up tagging along to Ronny Scott's.

Anyway, after the show, at about 3am, we got invited back stage and I met the man himself and even shared a joint with him! (I didn't inhale, of course). ;)

I've only been to Ronnie Scott's once, but there were no Dizzy Gillespies or joints.

Well, there probably were some joints but not at my table. Definitely no Dizzys, though...

Still, I did pass Des Lynam waiting with his little dog to picked up outside my Waitrose this morning. Frankly that takes some beating.

I was in an airport once - I think it was Luton - and there were two very good looking glamorous blokes attracting a lot of attention. From their demeanour and looks I took them to be footballers, but I had no idea who they were.

I ended up in security alone with them, and I could easily have got chatting to them and got their autographs. I could have started,

"Excuse me, but I'm the only person in this airport who doesn't know who you are - can you tell me?"

I've always wondered.

Still, I did pass Des Lynam waiting with his little dog to picked up outside my Waitrose this morning. Frankly that takes some beating.
OK, I see your Des and I raise you...

I saw Tom Baker walking down Oxford St last time I was in London AND I was on a flight to Barcelona with Patrick Kielty recently!

I think I win...

Going to a lot of classical concerts and opera as I do, I can hardly move for slebs. Among the list are; Rowan Williams, Ian McEwan, John Nettles, Jack Straw, The Lovely Hannah Gordon (to give her her full title), David Mellor, Anna Massey and Cecil Parkinson. Random passings in the street include Denis Norden, Mike Atherton, Phill Jupitus, Lawrence Llewellyn-Bowen, Helen Mirren, Harold Pinter, Barry Cryer...the list gets boring, but it would be an interesting dinner party.

Work gets me into contact with various politicians, well-known and otherwise, so I did meet Jeffrey Archer once. How to describe him? Charming, but what's a word for someone who thrown things...rhymes with 'dosser'?

I ended up in security alone with them

That sounds like a story in itself! ;)

I saw Tom Baker walking down Oxford St last time I was in London AND I was on a flight to Barcelona with Patrick Kielty recently!

Oooh, I've spotted Tom in London too. He made me completely lose focus when I was supervising a school trip! Needless to say he would have been cited in any insurance claim.

As for Patrick, I would imagine that was a flight that would have felt very much like a long haul...

I did meet Jeffrey Archer once. How to describe him? Charming, but what's a word for someone who thrown things...rhymes with 'dosser'?

But then if you're as wealthy as Archer you could be a complete dosser, banker and pass-hole to boot and you wouldn't really care, would you...?

I saw Mark Lamarr...hmm...how can I put it.....relieving himself in a bush at the Glastonbury Festival once (probably about 15 years ago now!). I can't do any better than that I'm afraid.

But then if you're as wealthy as Archer you could be a complete dosser, banker and pass-hole to boot and you wouldn't really care, would you...?

I have refer you to the Churchill Dog at this point...

Robert Plant and Jeremy Clarkson live close to us (but not together.. I don't think), and we occasionally see them. MOH sees Clarkson quite regularly in the pasty shop. Hubby does tend to go on rather a lot about the times he a)saw Vanessa Feltz in Sainsbury's on the Marylebone Road, and b)when he sat at the next table to Shami Chakrabarti in Pizza Express. Neither of these compare with me spending a short time in the back of a van with the Stone Roses...

Not sure if he counts as famous anymore but I used to see Russ Abbot a lot as he lived not too far from us - most recently I saw him waiting for a prescription in the pharmacy!

I was in a restaurant in Ballater last summer where I saw Billy Connolly with some of his family at a nearby table (apparently he has an estate near there).

On the last day of our holiday (was that only Friday? - sigh!) we had lunch with my sister-in-law, family and friends, including Antonio ?? (didn't catch the surname) - a guest of her daughter. He is, I was informed, a famous actor from a popular Spanish soap-opera.

After the meal I asked my SiL for his full name, at which point she admitted that, not being a 'soap' fan, she didn't know - only that his first name is Antonio :rolleyes:

She didn't even know the name of the programme :mad:

At "Making Music" - Steve Reich (October 2006, Zankel Hall at the Carnegie) in the row in front and three seats to my right was David Byrne of Talking Heads.

Way back in the Seventies when I was teaching at the University of Maine there was a student called Stephen King, whom we all knew about because he wrote a column in the student newspaper under the title 'King's Garbage Truck.' From what I remember this was mainly a send-up of various Faculty members in the Department of English. I'd like to claim that I actually taught said radical lad, but in fact it was my colleague Professor Wicks who had that pleasure. Of course he wasn't famous beyond the reaches of the campus in those days.

I go to school with Bill Milner, you may not know him by name, but he was in the film named 'The Son Of Rambow' and played William. He's just got back from filming an adaptation of Skellig. :)

Keira Knightley also went to my school.

But the thing tht makes me feel really old, is that one of my school peers is now an ex-Blue Peter presenter.

I hope he's properly got over the passing of Shep by now.

My childhood ballet teacher was well connected, so I got to appear on stage with some pretty well-known guest artists, including Dame Alicia Markova (she narrated one of our performances). Biggest thrill was being the understudy thrown in to dance with Kevin McKenzie in a production of Sleeping Beauty when I was 20 - he's now artistic director of American Ballet Theatre. (I'm sure he remembers :rolleyes: ) And I'm old enough to have had my picture taken with Jose Ferrer when he appeared as our Dr. Coppelius.

Some of my random encounters with the rich and famous are:

- I once walked past Martin Gore of Depeche Mode in Charing Cross Road (he was wearing a lot of black leather)

- Whilst as a waitress, I spilled a pina colada over Jonathon Ross's American friend's very expensive suit, AND he was just about to get on a plane, AND the nice Mr Ross still gave me £30 tip :)

- I once sold Jack Dee a pair of boxer shorts

- Sinitta (of 1980s 'So Macho' fame) once bought a pair of trainers in the shop I worked in, and left her old ones which were covered in doggy-doo :angry::angry: