Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Chance Encounters With The Famous

Don Maclean a comedian? I never saw the funny side of American Pie, and as for Vincent...

Ah, you mean the one who does Good Morning Sunday on Radio 2, I guess. Thinking about it, perhaps the Vincent guy was funny after all!

Life has gone down hill since I was a student ........

Danced with William Boyd as a teenager in Nigeria

Made WH Auden a cup of coffee when 'The Dog Beneath the Skin' was being put on at the Oxford Playhouse

Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor again at Oxford

Dinner with Andrew Motion - he was very pretty in those days which is why I remembered him and I had never met a poet before

Since then - life has gone a bit down hill

Eddie the Eagle in a newsagents in Shepherds Bush

Oh, oh, just remembered walked into a waiting room at Buckingham Palce (shameless place dropping) and there was Rowan Atkinson - immaculate Savile Row suit etc, one of those ones where if he hadn't been famous would have talked to him .... a great line on such occasions

hmmm

I had lunch with Jill Marie Landis at a writer's conference.

Smoked a cig with Nora Roberts.

Corresponded briefly with Catherine Coulter and Suzanne Forster, years ago.

Writers at conferences are amazingly accessible.

a friend of mine got personal phone calls from Tony Robbins about a year ago. (I was amazed--and envious. *sigh*)

How about the rubbishest (I know its not a word, let it go!) celebs you've ever met? I quite often see the Scottish guy who does the weather on the North East local news, in the pub, and I saw Anna the lesbian nun off Big Brother 1 walking down a street in central Leeds.

Best celebrity would be selling tickets to the writer of the Postman Pat books over the phone, I was quite star struck!!!!!!

Seems like London wins out in terms of proper celebrity spotting though...

I've never heard of any of those people.

they're authors.

Tony Robbins is world-wide famous for his life-changing books and seminars; Awaken the Giant Within is my personal favorite.

Authors you want? My mother got me Margaret Drabble's autograph when I was about nine. It doesn't get much more glamorous than that, folks...

Margaret Forster made me a cup of tea once. (It's true, I was interviewing Hunter Davies for a radio show at the time.)

Authors you want? My mother got me Margaret Drabble's autograph when I was about nine. It doesn't get much more glamorous than that, folks...

If that's a challenge - my mum got me Paul Robeson's autograph!

I mentioned before that during the holidays I work as a tour guide... Well over the Easter holidays I had Jonathon Ross and his family on my tour! Very excitng for me, although I didn't twig til the end of the tour who he was! Now for the exciting bit... Anyone out there listen to his radio show? Well today he talked about what he'd done with his kids over the holidays and mentioned the caves I work at and his "lovely young lady" tour guide! That was me!!! :D

I mentioned before that during the holidays I work as a tour guide... Well over the Easter holidays I had Jonathon Ross and his family on my tour! Very excitng for me, although I didn't twig til the end of the tour who he was! Now for the exciting bit... Anyone out there listen to his radio show? Well today he talked about what he'd done with his kids over the holidays and mentioned the caves I work at and his "lovely young lady" tour guide! That was me!!! :D

Excellent!

I would imagine that Harriet is 2 years 3 months and 11 days older?

Someone's been peeking at the profiles!

RR and MFJ, you're both off the mark. If you came up with that figure from their public profiles, RR, then I hope you leave the number-crunching to others at work. :cool:

Do I deduce that you were a guide at Wookey Hole? My first job was as a tour guide at Cox's Cave in Cheddar, which is of course just up the road and were owned by the same people as Wookey Hole. Which gives me the idea for a new thread...

Do I deduce that you were a guide at Wookey Hole? My first job was as a tour guide at Cox's Cave in Cheddar, which is of course just up the road and were owned by the same people as Wookey Hole. Which gives me the idea for a new thread...

Good deduction! :P I take you must have grown up somewhere near Cheddar then? And when were Cheddar and WHC owned by the same people??? As far as I'm aware Cheddar is currently owned by Lord Bath, and I wasn't aware WHC had ever been owned by him... :confused:

This was in 1980, and I thought they were both owned by Lord Bath, although I'm prepared to be wrong. Of course it was a different Lord Bath then, not the one with loads of wifelets. He was the Earl Of Avon back then, IIRC.

I went to school in Cheddar - Kings Of Wessex - but lived a couple of miles away in a <strike>dump</strike> historical town called Axbridge.

Now I remember. Wookey Hole was owned by Madame Tussauds, and it was where they got rid of all the crap ones they had no use for in London. People like Mike and Bernie Winters, and Reginald Maudling. Are they still there?

I'm fairly certain Tussauds owned the place at that time (could be wrong though), but they're long gone now, its currently owned by an ex-circus family (who are making great improvements to the place btw! :D) although if you look carefully there's a fair amount of Tussauds stuff still lying around the place!

And I know Axbridge... kind of... I've driven through there a fair amount anyway! I wasn't aware there was anything historical there though... Historical sheep farms maybe? :P

That would make Harriet about 11. Surely that can't be right? ;)

Not really, no. I'm.....4 years older? I think so. Well I'm 15 and he's 11. So yeah, 4 years older.

on the 26th nov 04 i saw charlie from busted in the virgin megastore in London filming a prog for E4.

(I'm Harriet's brother)

I think I understand your name now. It's like an alcohol-free version of a book by John Irving, isn't it? ;)