Chance Encounters With The Famous

Bill

My friend's dad worked with Elton John, doing shipping of some sort, and he got me an autograph (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) that says: 'To Harriet, with love Elton John'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I immediatly framed it and it's currently on my bedroom wall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw and spoke to Robbie Williams a few years ago at a Pitchshifter gig in London. Here's how the conversation went

Tess: "Did you enjoy the gig Robbie?"

Robbie: "Yes, I love to watch the kids bounce!"

Tess: "I'm sure they don't do that at your gigs!" (Pitchshifter are a metal band, so the "bouncing" was really moshing!)

Robbie: puffing out his chest "They do whatever I tell them to do"

hehe

A few years ago walking down the steps towards the basement in Television Centre

Goldie (the rapper not the blue peter dog): Where are the toilets?

Me: That way (pointing down corridor)

*thought to self* hope he finds them this is a circular corridor, he could be going round for ages!

Well, I am old. But I was was born in Memphis, Tn. and I have been to Graceland when Elvis actually lived there. It was in the late 60's. There were lots of fans outside the gates of Graceland. I guess the word was out and people were hoping to catch a glimpse of the King. Suddenly they opened the gates and let everyone in to the yard. They told us that we had to stay down front and not approach the house. It was a really big yard with lots of trees and a winding driveway.

I was there with some friends. Pretty soon Elvis rode down the winding driveway on his golf cart with several of his Memphis Mafia buddies. They parked the golf cart and ladies proceeded to line up to get a kiss from Elvis. I stayed out of the line but several of my friends gave Elvis the best kisses they could muster up. I guess just so they could say that they kissed the King. Looked to me like a lotta ladies were kissing the King.

I will say he really was gorgeous! He had a nice tan and was wearig a cornflower blue shirt that REALLY set off those blue eyes. He had on black jeans with a belt with a huge buckle that said TCB. It was late afternoon when they had let us in the gates and Elvis stayed there dolling out kisses until twilight.Then they got on the golf cart, turned on the light, and headed back up the driveway. I kept wondering where Priscilla was and if this sort of behavior made her steamed.

That is probably the BIGGEST up close and personal STAR sighting that I have had.

I was in an airport sitting right next to Jonny Mathis one time. I moved to make room for the other guys in his band and group. They were all very nice and after he left to board the plane, I told one of the gentlemen how much we had always enjoyed Mr. Mathis's music.

I was at the museum in Los Angeles one day when Richard Dreyfus and his wife and child were there. I was at the theater and saw Zsa Zsa Gabor in the lobby during intermission. I worked at an accounting firm once where Donovan was a client and came to the office one day.

I have seen quite a few televison stars both in Tennesse and in California. Mostly I just smile and leave them alone - I figure it is the kindest thing to do. But sometimes I have to resist the urge to applaud!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I guess these are chance encounters that aren't really setups? Well, I saw Jamie Oliver in the street outside the Australia shop in Covent Garden (looking very grumpy), Noel Gallagher in Manchester, and an actor from Hollyoaks the same day, Jeremy Clarkson at the opening of a regimental museum, Emma Forbes (when she was still on tv) chatting on her mobile phone by Agnes B shop in London, the chap who plays Pascoe from the tv show Dalziel and Pascoe in New Street station, I have signed copy of a Wendy Cope book, but really don't remember the meeting, we did see the chap who wrote 'Percy the Parkkeeper' (finally - one that is book related!), but that was at a signing, erm... I don't think I have any more.

These aren't encounters as such, but the year below me at secondary school contained Sacha Baron-Cohen (a.k.a. Ali G/Borat) and in the year below that was Matt Lucas of "Little Britain" fame - distinctive as he'd already lost his hair.

Alongside the soon-to-be-Staines massive was William Sutcliffe who's subsequently had several best selling novels published by Penguin. His debut "New Boy" was a thinly veiled account of his school days and prompted winces and giggles of recognition in equal measure from this reader. His finest hour was the follow up "Are You Experienced?" a satire on gap year culture.

Onto university where I went to history lectures also attended by a couple of spoddy looking chaps who went on to be self styled superstar DJs The Chemical Brothers.

Not my own encounters, but there was a period in the Nineties, when Pulp were at the height of their popularity, that friends of mine couldn't go anywhere without bumping into Jarvis Cocker. First a friend who worshipped Cocker crossed paths with him whilst walking in the most remote part of the Lake District (you can imagine her face, as she saw his lanky figure coming towards her - the first other human she had seen for two days, apart from her bfriend, who she was camping with - and asked herself "Can it be? No! Oh"). What do you say in that situation? A year or so later, he followed my ex-girlfriend around Soho with a ghetto blaster. Either that or they both liked exactly the same shops. She didn't seem to think it was a coincidence.

Oh, and I once had to travel in a lift with Brian Wilson. I didn't say anything to him, although, having listened to Smile and seen him interviewed, I suppose "carrot trellis whippet conundrum loophole breath" might have been a good conversation starter.

I once saw Lawrence Llewellyn-Bowen as well, Harriet. He was walking up the hill to Greenwich observatory, pushing a heavy push chair, his brood milling around him. Then a man shouted "Look, it's that man of the telly!" at him in an extreme Nottingham accent, and he looked even more tired and irritated. It would have been embarrassing and sad to witness if it was a stranger doing the shouting; that it was actually my dad made it more so.

Ken Dodd in a queue at a motorway service station shop. Wendy Craig in a dentist's waiting room, Frank Finlay crossing the road somewhere in the West End, and I served coffee to Griff Rhys-Jones at a charity event,

That's not counting actors & singers encountered in my 'hanging round stage doors' period

Deliberate - Terry Pratchett (book signing)

Accidental - George Melly, Christopher Lee, Bill Oddie, C.P.Lee & Jimmy Hibbert (Alberto Y Lost Trios Paranoias) & Princess Anne (whose chauffeur got annoyed because I refused to move so he could drive her car over the pavement - I was in a bus queue at the time).

Have just remembered being in a scarcely populated folk club in Birmingham in the 60's, and sitting just a couple of tables away was Kenneth Cope. Remember, him in the white suit in 'Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)'? At the time he was playing Minnie Caldewell's lodger 'Sonny Boy' in Coronation Street,

This was so long ago that it might all have been a dream!