Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Chance Encounters With The Famous

When I went to see Elton John at the Hammersmith Apollo on Saturday, as I paid a visit to the Gents, I felt highly privileged to witness Elvis Costello going in straight in front of me. I then went left as he went right. It's wonderful to see your heroes, but I didn't feel the need to see what happened next.

One of my favourite moments was playing cricket once, when I was facing the slow left arm spin of Mike D'Abo, ex-lead singer of Manfred Mann and the now very rich man who wrote Handbags And Gladrags, sung by Rod Stewart, The Stereophonic and on the theme of The Office. I danced down the wicket, and hit the ball over mid-off, only to see Tim Rice jump up and snaffle the catch in mid-air. So I was c. Rice b. D'Abo.

Might not mean much to non-cricket fans, but it gives me pleasure.

Huh, I can beat that, ;) although it's more a claim to fame than a chance encounter, but a number of years ago when staying in my last flat, my next door neighbour's sister was Scotty from Star Trek's wife's manicurist.

Six degrees of difference of what!

:rolleyes:

Around about 1977 I worked in the same office as a relative of J R R Tolkien. Her name was Mrs Jane Tolkien (related by marriage, then) and she was one of the most beautiful women I have ever met - reminded me of Grace Kelly. Oddly enough, I didn't fancy her!

I worked as a tour guide during last summer holidays at a local attraction. Apparently, way back before I was born some parts of Dr Who were filmed there, so my employers decided to have a "Dr Who day", where lots of past actors would come and do signings and stuff. Consequently I got to meet Colin Baker (doctor number six...?), some of the "assistants" (who i'd never heard of!), and most importantly, I got to see a Tardis! :D

I got on a plane once, and there in front of a seat in first class was Lassie. The dog wasn't crated or anything. In case you didn't know, Lassie is actually male, and in this case, it was the 8th dog to star in movies - a direct descendant of the original Lassie. He was exceptionally well behaved.

Incidentally, at the destination, Lassie and his owner were picked up by a huge stretched Limo. Tough life for some eh?

Quite simple really. The conversation went something like this:

RY: Lassie bark once for "yes", twice for "no". Understand?

Lassie: Woof.

RY: are you the original Lassie?

Lassie: Woof woof

RY: Are you the second Lassie?

Lassie: Woof woof

.... so on and so forth.........

Until......

RY: Are you the 8th Lassie?

Lassie: Woof

;)

Or...

Alternatively, Lassie's personal assistant (honest) was there handing out autographs (paw prints) and answering questions.....

When I went to see Elton John at the Hammersmith Apollo on Saturday, as I paid a visit to the Gents, I felt highly privileged to witness Elvis Costello going in straight in front of me. I then went left as he went right. It's wonderful to see your heroes, but I didn't feel the need to see what happened next.

One of my favourite moments was playing cricket once, when I was facing the slow left arm spin of Mike D'Abo, ex-lead singer of Manfred Mann and the now very rich man who wrote Handbags And Gladrags, sung by Rod Stewart, The Stereophonic and on the theme of The Office. I danced down the wicket, and hit the ball over mid-off, only to see Tim Rice jump up and snaffle the catch in mid-air. So I was c. Rice b. D'Abo.

Might not mean much to non-cricket fans, but it gives me pleasure.

when BBC Radio Gloucestershire started in the mid-1980s, Mike D'Abo was one of their main presenters. He was certainly still going strong into the 90s. Don't know what he is up to these days, though I understand that he still resides in the Gloucestershire area.

We have lots of celebs that come into my store....most have 2nd homes in the area. Brian May, Pete Townsend, Steve McFadden + at least 10 others. To be honest, out of the peak tourist season, no one bats an eyelid, as they are so used to seeing them around the town. However, a member of the teeny-band S Club 8 ( a younger version of S Club 7) came in (with his mum, aww, bless him!) and caused a mass stamped of young girls from all around teh town into my store. Never seen anything like it!

However, my 'claim to fame' was meeting Sir William Golding in 1992. I was working in a record store in Truro, and he used to order a lot of Classical CDs and Spoken Word tapes. When I first started, I hadn't really 'clicked' who he was. I rang up and spoke to his wife, to say that his order had come in.

When he came in to collect the CD, I plucked up the courage to sign my battered copy of 'Lord of the Flies'.

Sadly, a few weeks later, and only two days after he last came into our store, William Golding passed away. I still have the book, of course.

Golding, now that's really impressive :cool:

Lets see....

Kevin Rowland of Dexys fame at the top of the escalators at New Street station - he look like he had one on him so I gave him a wide berth

Bryn Terfel, on a beach near Carnaerfon... nearly tripped over his big feet

Nigel Kennedy.... on the Holte End a few rows down

Rikki Fulton... in a Glasgow pub....a genuine funny man..RIP

Oh, I saw Lawence Llewlyn Bowen (How hard is his name to spell??!) on a beach in Cornwall. He was there with his daughter, she was playing in the sea and trying to get him to come in but he was just standing there in his leather trousers and shirt with the big floaty cuffs!

I often see professor Stephen Hawking in Cambridge, I once saw him in dolland and Aitchison opticains which was very funny because he was in an advert for vision express at the time :D

I saw Terry Waite once and met Fred Dibnah at the technology museum also in Cambridge. And I once met Adam-hart davies (the tv presenter) he was really nice. :)

I was sitting on a train at Cambridge Railway station, waiting for it to pull out when a flustered Clement Freud leapt on. As he battled his way to a seat he caught his foot in the strap of a bag that was lying on the floor and sort of fell into his seat. I sat there gritting my teeth so that I wouldn't say to him, 'That was a bit of a Freudian slip, eh!'

Oh, I saw Lawence Llewlyn Bowen (How hard is his name to spell??!) on a beach in Cornwall. He was there with his daughter, she was playing in the sea and trying to get him to come in but he was just standing there in his leather trousers and shirt with the big floaty cuffs!

Lawrence lives in North Cornwall - just outside Padstow. He is another regular in my store too!

However, I can't quite forgive him for some of his makeovers, especially the Christams special in Boscastle. They were truly tatty, and the village locals are singularly unimpressed. :(

I was sitting on a train at Cambridge Railway station, waiting for it to pull out when a flustered Clement Freud leapt on. As he battled his way to a seat he caught his foot in the strap of a bag that was lying on the floor and sort of fell into his seat. I sat there gritting my teeth so that I wouldn't say to him, 'That was a bit of a Freudian slip, eh!'

That's actually very funny

:D

I'm sure he would have found that amusing!

Yeah, but I suspect it wouldn't have been the first time. Have you seen the episode of Father Ted where Dougal says to Father Ted that he should go up to Richard Wilson (Victor Meldrew) and shout 'I don't Believe it!' Well, I took my own advice and shut up.

While I'm here, I'd have to say my best chance encounter was the day in 1983 that me and a mate spent drinking in London and ended up at The Camden Palace (when it was very hip). We were on the dance floor, hicks from the sticks throwing some shapes, and not 10 yards (oh, alright, metres) away were George Michael and Jeffery Daniels (out of Shalamar) also bopping away.

I must stop using (all these) brackets.

I seem to recall my Dad saying that he had stood next to (comedian) Ted Ray in the Gents at Highbury once.

Other people I've spotted in London's Oxford Street... Alexei Sayle... Dennis Norden... and Paul Gambaccini buying some CDs in HMV (I assumed he would always get freebies, but I guess not).

My best one (not that it will mean much to everyone) was last year. I took the family to the Ardingly showground (in West Sussex, just up the road from home) for the Spring Show (sort of agricultural / rural / craft event). As I parked, I noticed that 2 men and 2 women (all in their 20s) got out of the car I was parked next to. I have to confess that my attention was more on the women. I did notice that one of the men was giving an odd look at my Reading FC mini-kit in the back window. For some reason, I thought he looked familiar, but the chance to speak to him had passed by the time I realised that he was Steve Sidwell and had scored Reading's winner the previous day against West Brom.

I stood next to Phill Jupitus in the basement of HMV last week, as we browsed through the rock'n'roll section. That's 3 times I've seen him now, all within a hundred yards in the last 3 years. He obviously gets around as much as I do.

In that case, DW... who knows... we might have spotted each other without knowing it. I will be descending into Oxford Circus tube station in about 15 minutes from now - I'll be the one with the green coat over a white shirt with a predominantly green and blue tie (no - it works - really!).

I met Mike Read (Reid?) the DJ at a wedding reception in the 80s. Had a long chat about music (of course).

He said at the time that he had thought Slade would be as successful as the Beatles at one stage of their career. Seems odd now!

Seemed like a nice guy but unable to make proper eye contact during the whole 20min conversation. Maybe I bored him rigid. I suspect he is just naturally very shy!