• Similar Content

• By Flingo
      Flingo 4th January 2006 10:47 PM

...so far.

I can really relate to this from Chapter 6:

[Cropper] arrived, reasonably satisfied, at Barratt's Hotel, which he had chosen partly for its comfort, but more because American writers, visiting Ash, had stayed there in the past.

I would certainly choose one location over another if I felt it had significant literary connections!

Cathy 7th January 2006 01:49 PM

How about Val saying 'Oh its all very interesting, my menial keyhole observations, make no mistake. Just it doesn't make sense and it leaves me nowehere'
      *shiver* too true!
    • By Momo
      I know this is from another thread but I cannot find Possession at all under the group reads and if we ever find it, it can be moved there. Anyway, here's the rescued thread: Meanings of Names

Momo 10th January 2006 10:52 PM
      Meanings of Names

Okay, I promised Cathy ages ago to look through my notes from our earlier discussion and post the meaning of the names some of us found. I have spoilered the notes since I don't know where everyone is.
      Any other ideas?

-------------------------------------------------

Cathy 11th January 2006 02:59 PM
      Thank you Momo! That's fantastic. Is the meaning of Wolf from Randolph from the word or from what happens in the novel? The dual nature as shield/wolf is really interesting.

Just in case:

Momo 12th January 2006 03:57 PM

Yes, that was it. As I said, I couldn't find anything about ash and the meaning etc. but I did remember we talked about it.

Cathy 12th January 2006 04:11 PM

I think you're spot on. She calls him a 'dragon' in some of the letters. Also

greg 2nd August 2006 11:40 AM

Link between Maud & Christabel's surnames

megustaleer 2nd August 2006 09:44 PM

Thanks for that, greg, and welcome to BGO. Possession was a very popular book, and it's good to open up he discussion again. I'm sure there are members reading it who have joined since it was our bookgroup choice, and some folks ready to read it again.

Do let us know a little about yourself and your reading tastes by posting in the introductions thread in Central Library.

greg 3rd August 2006 09:02 AM

Ah, Megustaleer,

I've just realised that I repeated you - you commented on Motte & Bailey castles in the "poll" thread. My apologies.

greg

megustaleer 3rd August 2006 10:23 AM

No problem, it's easy to miss a comment when discussion ranges over several threads!
    • By Claire
      This was on my Top Ten list, and I noticed that it cropped up on a number of other people's lists too.

Why do you love it - if you listed it? Anyone out there hate it - and why?

My guilty secret is that though I love the book, I always say, "This time I read it, I'm really, really going to read all the poems, too" - but I always end up skipping them

I love the way the two time frames are intertwined, and the combination of romance and detective story. I love the two modern day academics grow together, from such an unlikely start. Writing this is making me want to rush off and reread it!

Though I love this, I haven't read much else by A S Byatt - what else is worth a try??
    • By ZebraMc
      This is the story of children and their families growing up through late-Victorian, Edwardian times: The liberal Wellwoods, who espouse Fabian values, whilst not listening to (or even noticing!) their own kids and whose loose morals and lack of honesty with their children have difficult consequences later on; the Fludds, led by artistic Benedict, creative when manic, impossible when depressed, abusive of his daughters and heedless of his loveless marriage; the Cains, widowed Prosper with his 2 children - a kinder portrait of an intelligent, perceptive and loving father, but still one caught in the strictures of the time and unable to fully communicate.

The story's canvas begins narrowly in the Kent Weald and widens progressively both geographically and historically to discuss suffragism, many philosophical ideas, politics and religion.
      Each of the Wellwood children has their own book, written by their storyteller mother, Olive, but the title of the book is well chosen as the children are the focus of the book, rather than their, often hapless, parents.

I hadn't read any Byatt for ages, but have enjoyed things in the past. This is quintessentially Byatt: a mixture of a complex and engaging story, with long passages of history interwoven. I loved the saga of the families, but found some of the historical passages overly erudite. It felt a bit like she had done the research and was determined to get in the information at all costs - and, in my view, at a cost to the flow of the story. I can admire the author's erudition without necessarily enjoying it. I am a terrible judge of what is likely to win the Booker, but wonder if the judges will go for something more timely.

ZebraMc