How Many Books Per Week

Rescued Thread Page 2 to follow.

Sunrise 22nd October 2006 10:35 PM

Hi Everyone!

I am so excited to be part of this forum and I am looking forward to being introduced to some great books!

I was wondering how many books all of you enjoy per week. I average about one these days. I feel that there are so many to enjoy though and I want to make time for more.

If you read a lot, how do you make the time?

Talk soon!

Sunrise

Hazel 23rd October 2006 07:12 AM

I have no idea how many I read a week as it can vary. Some weeks I manage 3 some just 1, but I guess we could work out an average if we look at our book lists and work it out. I think I am at 65 for the year so far...

Welcome to BGO Sunrise!

Mungus 23rd October 2006 08:45 AM

I'm on 62 for the year so far. I feel like I read about a book a week, but I guess some slip down easier than others!

katrina 23rd October 2006 11:40 AM

i've read 67 so far this year. I can manage maybe one a week when I'm at school but in the holidays sometimes 4 or 5 a week

Barblue 23rd October 2006 12:45 PM

I haven't had a count up for the year, but I reckon I get through about one a week - although last week I read three!

tagesmann 23rd October 2006 02:41 PM

I've managed 44 sop far this year, which is almost exactly one a week. But some weeks I will get through a few and other books can take me weeks to finish.

I don't tend to set targets, the books decide how fast I will read them...

My Friend Jack 23rd October 2006 02:41 PM

I'm way down on the rest of you. It takes me 2 or 3 weeks to read an average book, and that varies depending on where I am working (and whether I can fit in some train reading. I've just started on LOTR (1,008 pages), so my average will take a dip. LOTR is too big to fit into my laptop bag, so I have something smaller for the train, so LOTR could last me until Christmas!

My Friend Jack 23rd October 2006 02:42 PM

...and on behalf of the good members of this forum, may I be the first to bid you welcome, Sunrise!

Flingo 23rd October 2006 05:51 PM

Indeed - WELCOME, Sunrise - do pop into the Introductions thread and tell us a little more about yourself and what you like to read!

I have just started my 92nd book of the year - which means that I read just over 2 books a week. That said, I seem to have sped up in the last couple of months, so I am averaging more now than I was back in January (6 in the month for Jan, as opposed to 12 already in October).

I tend to feel that if I have been reading a book for more than a week, it can't have grabbed me and it is dragging (as a Gemini, I have a short attention span!).

I don't know when I find the time to read - mostly it is done in the evening for about an hour before I swtch the light off (if I can stay awake!) or when I have a bath. If I am early to a meeting / visit I will read, if I am on the train I will read, if I am stuck in traffic I have been known to pick up my book! I also have a fantastic partner who feels that on our days off (ie weekends for ordinary people, but as I work every other Saturday I get a day off in that week) we shouldn't do housework as it is "me time" so I get time to read without interruption then. Part of the joys of not having children I suspect!

kelmarie 23rd October 2006 05:52 PM

i read about a book a week

Mungus 23rd October 2006 06:01 PM

I tend to feel that if I have been reading a book for more than a week, it can't have grabbed me and it is dragging (as a Gemini, I have a short attention span!).

I share this feeling. If I've started a new book and after a few days I'm still only on page 40 or so, I start to question whether it deserves any more of my attention. I read for fun rather than to learn, challenge myself or tick books off lists so I'll often abandon a book. Non-fiction books are exempt from this practice.

minxminnie 23rd October 2006 08:04 PM

Like some others, I vary according to the book, but it also depends on my workload and life in general. I read a lot of newspapers, and I bring a lot of reading-related work home, so when things are busy, a book can hang on for weeks. On the other hand, I can get through a book every two or three days in the holidays. But if I read a book too quickly, I tend to find that I forget most of it, or I sicken myself. I read both Bridget Joneses in more or less one sitting, once because I was stuck in an airport delay, and people are always mentioning bits that I can't remember!

MarkC 24th October 2006 12:02 PM

Last year I was averaging about a book a week. This year it's a lot lower and will probably be less than two a month.

Grammath 25th October 2006 07:45 PM

I started the year's 52nd book on Sunday, which I think makes for a complete book every 5 days.

LesleyMP 26th October 2006 04:11 PM

Hello Sunrise, welcome to BGO! :)

I think I average one book per week but, I do often have two or three books on the go at any one time so......

I've read more since January than I'd read by this time last year. These days I'm getting through around one book a week, but lately I'm reading two at the same time (though not literally!).

Depends on the book as well. It took me two weeks to read Bleak House and about a week and a half to read House of Leaves. The short ones I get through in a few days.

I'm not a particularly fast reader, but I read the books I'm really enjoying much quicker. I once had a friend who read scarily fast. I don't know how she remembered the plot!