Star Wars

Harriet

I'll try next time!

Did anyone else think the way that Palpatine named Anikan Vader was not explained at all? To me it seemed that it was just a name given out at random, there was no explanation. And also, Anikan wouldn't go and kill ALL those people just because he wanted to save Padme...He has a brain...

• 10 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Soooo, has anyone watched it yet? I saw it a couple of days ago with the family and we all thoroughly enjoyed it, despite some rather gaping issues and plot holes. I think the nostalgia helped me gloss over them and I'll admit I nearly shed some tears a couple of times. I really liked all the lead's performances, though Daisy Ridley's accent made her seem a little awkward and clunky in some of the early exchanges with other characters. Kylo Ren seemed like a great Villain as well. Overall, it was a good film but I think I'm in the Guardians of the Galaxy camp when it comes to epic space adventures.

Saw it.  Loved it.  I AM a huge Star Wars fan, though.  I was going to wear my son's Darth Vader mask and carry his light saber but they won't let you wear costumes in movie theaters anymore because of that horrible young man who shot all those people while dressed as the Joker.  Probably just as well that I had to go as myself.

RG and I went to see the new Star Wars film on Monday and both thoroughly enjoyed it, RG especially. I agree that there were a few slow bits and some of the storylines seemed a little similar to other films in the series but even so I found it great entertainment. We were both a little surprised that Luke did not appear until the very end, considering so much was made of the oldies appearing in the new film we both expected Luke to play a bit of a bigger part. I am trying not to be cynical but I do wonder if the three were included to raise the interest of older audiences, I saw the original three films in my mid/late teens! Having said all that considering the length of the film the time in the cinema flew past. Always a sign of an entertaining film!

I saw the original Star Wars in a huge cinema in San Francisco just after it had come out (by luck, not because I'm spot on with recognising what's going to be great) and it stunned me with its inventiveness, its storytelling, the whole package.  And of course there was Harrison Ford too.  It was always going to be hard to live up to and I agree with CP and Binker that the time absolutely flew by with the new one, and even if Harrison F is no longer quite so gorgeous he and Chewy really lit up the film.  However afterwards...  at the time I thought of it as a homage to the original, looking back it seems a bit too derivative.  Not so much so that it ruined the film, but it has stopped it from being absolutely brilliant.