What was the last album you bought?

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RR, I really think that was an irresponsible suggestion. If you play it backwards, it becomes "How to BUILD an atomic bomb." How do we know that Harriet is responsible enough to handle such information properly? :eek:

I resent that. I am ever so responsible and totally capable of building *cough* erm....I mean dismantling....an atomic bomb....

How DO you play a CD backwards?

I'm not too sure if its too geeky to answer this properly, but since I actually know how to do this I feel the need to share my wisdom...

Windows has a helpful little program called "Sound Recorder", usually found under accessories. It is capable of reversing a recorded sound so it plays backwards. All you have to do is record your music to your computer in .wav format (I use a program called CDEx).

Now tell me I'm a geek. :o

Wow! Thank you, Fiona, that was actually quite impressive. ;)

Back to topic...

On my journey into work and back home each day this week I've neen listening to the Platinum Collection by Genesis (mentioned earlier in this thread). I'm actually quite surprised at how much I am enjoying it! Also surprised at how consistent their overall "sound" was over the years. In particular, the tracks from Trick of the Tail (the first post-Peter Gabriel album) were way ahead of their time.

How long is it since you bought "I Know What I Like"?

You're catching up at last!

There's a LOT of back catalogue waiting for you and I'd be pleased to introduce you to it!

On the topic of latest acquisitions I feel I ought to say that I was given a DVD for Xmas from the Classic Rock collection reviewing Genesis' material from 1970 - 80, so that's my most recent Genesis addition. It's probably only for the real fan, but as it features some very old footage (some live, some not-so-live) I found it very interesting.

Golly, RR, a fellow Genesis fan! It's many many years since I found anyone to agree with me that they were the greatest band in the history of the world. People just look at me as if I'm mad (I'm not denying it).

The Peter Gabriel era of course, plus the two superb and underrated albums of 1976. After that, it got a bit patchy but with a few great moments.

Supper's Ready - best one side of an album ever? (For younger viewers, this is a reference to long-playing records.) Mind you, Side 2 of The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway runs it close.

RR - I bought "I Know What I Like" in April 1974 - oh good grief - that's almost 31 years ago! I also have "Counting Out Time" on 7" vinyl.

"Supper's Ready" is on disc 3 of the compilation I'm listening to - I haven't got that far yet as the M25 has been pretty good this week. I'll probably reach "Supper's Ready" on Saturday on my way to or from the swansea game.

I should mention that I do have "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" on CD, so I'm not a complete novice. ;)

Lamb Lies Down is a masterpeice. (Cliche alert!)

I think you'll find "Suppers Ready" a little "difficult" at first. It's a grower, like a lot of early Genesis I suppose.

MD&G, yes, I have everything they produced, prior to Phil Collins' departure that is, so another real fan indeed. Trouble is (why people look at us like we're mad!) many people are somehow put off by the fact that were not "real" rock musicians were they? - they were always good, clean cut boys, who didn't leap about on stage like drug crazed weirdos (well Phil Collins did a bit, but you knew it was only an act!) and their music was always fairly technical and intricate, none of which appeals to your more traditional rock fan.

WE know, though don't we?!

I actually have no preference for Gabriel or Collins era, both superb. I guess there were patchy moments in both, but very few. There has not been a single album that I have thought disappointing, just the odd track that didn't work for me. "We All Know" being best example, at least I think that's what it was called.

My dad's always been a fan of Genesis, but I've never really gotten into them. I like the odd song, like Invisible Touch and Follow You, Follow Me, because they're songs I've grown up listening to - the same with R.E.M, except I got into R.E.M a few months ago because one of my friends was really crazy about them so I thought I'd see what I actually thought of them. When I listened to an album I recognised laods of songs that I'd heard when I was small, and not realised that they were R.E.M, and I'd probably find the same if I listened to a Genesis album.

Interesting Harriet, but the 2 Genesis tacks you mention, would both sit near the bottom of the pile of my track preferences over all their albums.

That may be because they were both singles, with that extra commercial / mainstream feel that chart success required, which made them more lightweight /throwaway songs than their norm. Not very representative of their output I'd say.

Ok, you liked the singles. Don't let me put you off Genesis; honestly, most of their output was much better than that!

Interesting Harriet, but the 2 Genesis tacks you mention, would both sit near the bottom of the pile of my track preferences over all their albums.

That may be because they were both singles, with that extra commercial / mainstream feel that chart success required, which made them more lightweight /throwaway songs than their norm. Not very representative of their output I'd say.

Ok, you liked the singles. Don't let me put you off Genesis; honestly, most of their output was much better than that!

They're just the songs I can remember off the top of my head - if I listened to an album, especially the Archive ones, I'm sure I'd recognise loads, having had it played in my house for years.

Well, it's Friday morning and I'm up to track 4 on disc 3 - Firth of Fifth, I think. I must say, I'm quite surprised to find that I recognise all of the songs I've heard so far, even though I dodn't know all of the song titles. Should get I Know What I Like on the way home tonight - somewhere around the M25 / M23 interchange, I should think...

Well this isn't an album I've recently bought, but I found it in my parent's CD rack and 'borrowed' it - Led Zeppelin - Remasters. Stairway to Heaven was #1 on the Virgin Fm Top 500 so I though I'd listen to it, and it's pretty damn good :D I love Since I Been Loving You and Stairway To Heaven (but of course)

That surprises me Harriet, I know I'm somewhat out of touch with the current music scene, well, what is considered chartworthy etc., but I thought Kasabian were one of the new bands that all youngsters knew about. Lots of people seem to be talking about them, but I guess they're not as big as I was presuming.

(Just re-read that, and it might appear like I'm being patronising, and suggesting that, being only 15, you would only know about chart music, which is clearly not the case! Apologies if it comes across like that. Not intended.)

As for their style, I find it terribly difficult to label a style of music, but I suppose they might be classed as Indie rock. (Franz Ferdinand style?) :o

I asked my friend, she said she's heard of them, so it's probably just me being ignorant and not listening to the DJs on radios when they say what song it is. Alot of my friends're into stuff like Franz Ferdinand and Biffy Clyro, I just think they're OK - I prefer older stuff like Led Zeppelin and Green Day's older stuff, along with R.E.M and Elton John.

Royal Rother - Kasabian are a veeeeeeery well known band among uni students! I actually saw them at Glastonbury earlier this year, and they had a pretty good audience. The first time I heard them was on my uni radio stations "up-and-coming-bands" show, but since then they've become much more well known. And yes, I'd say they were indie/rock (all the best music is :P)

Harriet - I think you might Kasabian (guessing by the other stuff you like anyway). And who is Biffy Clyro? I've never even heard of him... :confused: