Sign in to follow this  
Harriet

What was the last album you bought?

The last album I bought (well actually I was given it for my birthday) was the new Elton John album - Peachtree Road. I went to see him at the Hammersmith Apollo last night and he was incredibly brilliantly good :D

Hmm well I am one of those naughty people who doesn't BUY albums anymore, thanks to the advent of the internet... but the last album I 'acquired' online was the new Manic Street Preachers album, "Lifeblood". And it's pretty good. Starts off a bit slow (not too keen on the first couple of songs) but after that it's a great listen.

Hmm well I am one of those naughty people who doesn't BUY albums anymore, thanks to the advent of the internet...

Same here! :P

The last album I 'acquired' was This Christmas Time by Lonestar. I went hunting on the internet for Christmas music and that came up. For someone who mostly listens to rock music (think Muse/REM/Reef/other Glastonbury-type stuff!) I really liked it!

I can't remember the last album I bought (not that it was ages ago, just bad memory!).

However, most recent DVD was Fleetwood Mac Live at Boston which is superb. A real class act.

V. good price from Amazon as well for what must be a 2 1/2 hr concert.

Brian Wilson's "Smile."

Before that, a load of 50s / 60s compilations of obscure stuff - The Rubble Collection boxed sets of UK psych-pop, with a total of 20 CDs, and 3 boxed sets of jamican singles from the 60s, and some doo-wop sets from the 50s.

The last I bought was by a new band called Amusement Parks on Fire (self-titled debut album), and 'tis very good indeed. Kind of 'shoe-gazery' , sonic-cathedral, My Bloody Valentine type stuff. The next I will purchase is the new And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead, 'Worlds Apart', out in Jan/Feb.

Interested in music as I am, and not averse to new music of merit and with tune, I looked up the 2 bands you refer to, and read some interesting stuff.

I even listened to a track by the "Trail of Dead". Got interrupted so didn't really focus on it, but it didn't sound too bad. Will try again soon.

Now take my recommendation if you will - Neutral Milk Hotel are awesome. Try anything from "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea" and you won't be disappointed!

re; Neutral Milk Hotel, Are they a bit Sebadoh-like?

I wouldn't know I'm afraid!

Describing them is very very difficult. Their sound really is an amalgam of so many styles, with the kitchen sink thrown in, that they are quite unique in my experience.

Their leader, Jeff Mangum, sounds a very interesting bloke, almost total recluse these days with no intention of releasing anything more, although his friends think otherwise. Still, the album I've recommended is absolutely magnificent so he's left something of value.

Look him up on the Internet if you're interested, there's plenty to read and I seriously don't think I've read a bad review anywhere of the album, or the man. He's just a bit odd.

BTW I know of at least 2 BGO members to have given them a try and both have been mightily impressed, so it's not just me anymore!

Lei-Lei - I saw ...Trail of Dead at ATP last month and they were one of the best acts of the entire weekend. (Second only to The Liars.) As for Neutral Milk Hotel, I've not heard much but always liked Olivia Tremor Control, who are obviously connected...

Last album? My delightful sister bought me 'Uh Huh Her' by P J Harvey for Xmas, which is growing on me and 'The Tipping Point' by The Roots, which I've only played once so far, but rate highly.

Deinonychus; I'm glad you enjoyed ..Trail of Dead, they are really something else live.

I love The Roots too, though I haven't got that album yet. Saw them at Glastonbury a couple years back and they were brilliant.

Also, if NMO have some kind of connection to Olivia Tremor Control, well, that's edged it for me, I will definately take a chance on the album you recommended RR.

BTW I know of at least 2 BGO members to have given them a try and both have been mightily impressed, so it's not just me anymore!

I don't know if you're including me in that, RR, but if not, then I am another. There was a thread on the Reading FC board a few months back in which you thanked others for recommendations of bands you had liked, so I wrote them down and tried them myself. So I can thank you in turn for Neutral Milk Hotel, Dashboard Confessional, and especially Explosions In The Sky - and thanks but no thanks for Flogging Molly!

I had a great Christmas for new musical experiences - I was given the following albums: The Rotters' Club - Hatfield & The North, Brian Eno's Another Green World, Abattoir Blues/The Lyre Of Orpheus by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, the first two Tom Waits albums Closing Time and The Heart Of A Saturday Night, Elliott Smith's posthumous From A Basement On A Hill, The Incredible String Band's The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter, and finally the brilliant and undervalued Handsome Family's album In The Air. So I'm well happy with my haul.

Another impromptu quiz question: of which long-running TV show is the title track of Brian Eno's Another Green World? (I didn't realise this until I heard the track.)

Blimey, it's like being in the middle of a Morecambe and Wise show with you two!

I'm pretty sure I'm one of the Neutral Milk Hotel converts that RR refers to, so I'll add my thanks as well.

Back to topic - CDs I got for Christmas...

The UK Sue Records Story

Fats Domino Singles A-sides and B-sides 1950 to 1952

Chartbusters USA volumes 2 and 3

And yesterday I bought the Platinum Collection - a 3-CD collection of the best of Genesis. Contains tracks from all of their studio albums apart from the Jonathan King-produced "From Genesis to Revelation."