Sign in to follow this  
David

Have a Rant!

7 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Fortunately for us we are only voting in the European elections, if we are not out of Europe by that time

I find it ridiculous that candidates are 3 weeks from election and no one knows if there is an election or not.

If elections are called off, are the declared candidates due to be reimbursed for their expenses of an election that never took place?

Same here, after brexit, Ireland increases to 13 seats but until brexit only 11 meps can be there so 2 get elected and have to wait until Britain leaves meaning the 4th mep for Dublin and 5th for the south do not take their seat until then.

I also feel media outlets (the Irish mail, the Sunday times Ireland edition) putting uncritical interviews with a particular candidate on their front page might be crossing the line in terms of canvassing.

We also have a referendum on reducing the time frame for divorce from 5 years to 3 years. A work colleague is adamantly opposed to this, comparing it why not legalise bank robbing or murder. I'm not sure where to argue that point.

------

We also have local elections. My constituency is a 6 seater but because of a poster ban in the towns of constituency, I feel awareness is hard and helps the incumbents and I don't like the incumbents that are standing. Awareness is an important factor particularly where there is no local media after the town news website closed. 

Edited by iff

Our Poll cards have arrived for the European elections.

I wonder if someone will let us know if we actually have to turn up and vote on the day.

On 01/05/2019 at 14:07, iff said:

We also have a referendum on reducing the time frame for divorce from 5 years to 3 years. A work colleague is adamantly opposed to this, comparing it why not legalise bank robbing or murder. I'm not sure where to argue that point.

------

Sounds like maybe he is a staunch Catholic who believes that marriage is for life?

On 01/05/2019 at 23:20, megustaleer said:

Our Poll cards have arrived for the European elections.

I wonder if someone will let us know if we actually have to turn up and vote on the day.

Saw an article on the internet saying that Theresa May has accepted that the European elections will take place before Brexit.  I'm taking it that they are on until told otherwise.

Looks like they're still on, still haven't received our polling cards though.

It seems that the NHS has somehow got hold of my mobile number - first of all, a few years ago I got occasional texts confirming my appointment at my doctor's surgery......in Bristol, but I live in London and apart from a couple of very brief visits have never been to Bristol.  Now I've started getting texts from Barts Health Trust, which at least is almost the correct area, and yesterday got one asking for my feedback on my outpatients' appointment, which of course I didn't have (haven't been to the doctor since last October).  I hope  this ridiculous text service doesn't cost them anything, and if it does, then it's worrying that they can't get the right contact number, I hope no one missed an appointment because they didn't get the text reminder!

2 hours ago, Madeleine said:

It seems that the NHS has somehow got hold of my mobile number - first of all, a few years ago I got occasional texts confirming my appointment at my doctor's surgery......in Bristol, but I live in London and apart from a couple of very brief visits have never been to Bristol.  Now I've started getting texts from Barts Health Trust, which at least is almost the correct area, and yesterday got one asking for my feedback on my outpatients' appointment, which of course I didn't have (haven't been to the doctor since last October).  I hope  this ridiculous text service doesn't cost them anything, and if it does, then it's worrying that they can't get the right contact number, I hope no one missed an appointment because they didn't get the text reminder!

Our doctor's practice has a text service to remind you of appointments on the phone.  Never having forgotten an appointment (if over the phone, I write them on the calendar in the hall-way (and no it can't be seen from outside) if there, I get a wee printout and then write it in the calendar in the hall-way when I get home) I did not hand over my mobile phone number.  My father and brother are the only people who have my mobile number and that's how it's going to stay.

Can you opt out?

That's the point, I haven't opted in!  And how the heck a surgery in Bristol got my number....although that seems to have stopped now.

I did get a text before from a pizza place in swords (90 minutes from me. I don't even like pizza). I could opt out. Most likely someone needed a number so put mine down. There was a case a number of years ago where most Mondays I would get calls from men looking for a woman by the name Denise. Wonder if she was from swords

I do reminder my doctors once as they didn't have my number, phoned my mother for it. I think nowadays that would be a gdpr breach :d

My theme song seems to be "Cry me a River" - almost every day I'm at odds with Dave, he's really working on getting his gardening projects done in the back yard and has planted tomato plants but ran into problems with using the sprinkler on the end of the hose.  He says that the man who installed the new two way attachment that allows us to switch from the back yard hose to the front yard hose has done it wrong and was set on undoing it to put the old one back on after I had already paid the bill for the work.  I suggested that I thought probably the old sprinkler was at fault and found the newer one so he could try that, so far it has been ignored.  Water was coming through the hose when disconnected from the from the older sprinkler. If there was a problem I would have asked the company to fix it as I have to do all the appointment scheduling etc. Dave doesn't like using the phone.  We've also just had the company aerate the front lawn and put down more seed and he doesn't seem to remember that it was done. I guess what the problem is that he has memory problems and often goes ahead with what he wants to do without checking what has been done and argues constantly which is completely unusual for him, he was the original quiet man and is now so different.  So I have to keep an eye on what he's doing so it's not at odds with what has already been done and I'm worn to a frazzle, even explaining things to him which have him puzzled.  Our daughter is good at keeping an eye on him too.  She has now adjusted to the complete change in her epilepsy medication and may get her driver's licence restored before the end of the year.  Fortunately Dave has no problem with driving short distances and as long as he has written instructions for needed supplies he's o.k.  His heart is doing as well as can be expected and the pharmacy puts his medication in a package in a day by day schedule.  Sorry that this is so long, it does help me to put it down in writing as I don't have a close confidant and I don't share this info with neighbours who, I'm sure have their own problems.

Oh Momac, what a trying state of affairs - and so frustrating for both of you.

I can't offer any advice, or words of wisdom, but do feel free to rant here as much as you like.  I just hope you find it helpful to get it all off your chest where it won't upset anyone, or cause local gossip.

Thanks Meg, all settled for the moment, have to adjust to the forgetfulness, most of the time he just gets unhappy that he's getting older and more forgetful, and I have my 'where did I put that' moments myself.🙄

Sorry to hear that Momac, my mum is similar with forgetfulness and going into a rant at the slightest thing, last night for example we discovered our landline wasn't working, so I only had my mobile and was on the phone to the landline company (premium rate call of course) and my phone ran out of credit!  Got it topped up today and managed to get  through again, turns out the problem is with the telephone exchange not our phone, so now waiting for them to fix it.  Trouble is mum can't hear on the phone too well (me neither to be honest) so I was telling her what to say as she had to answer the security questions, and she couldn't hear what the guy was saying, but we got there eventually. Just trying to get anything done is a nightmare nowadays!

Glad your  daughter is doing OK, that must be a relief.

Feel free to rant, it does help!

Sorry to hear that Momac, I hope things improve.  Glad your daughter is getting better.  I know how you feel,  my dad is similar and please do feel free to rant.  At the moment I'm beginning to feel I'm the only one that has problems!

Edited by lunababymoonchild

Thanks to Madeleine, Luna and Meg for the support.  We probably all have problems in varying degrees and I feel maybe I'm not as tranquil as other people, in fact I know I'm not but I have to learn to deal with it and having been me for 80 and a bit years it's awfully hard to change.  Plus I have a younger sister who telephones me frequently from Vancouver to, as she puts it to 'vent' and some days it's hard to be sympathetic if I'm feeling that way myself. However, if we stick to tennis talk we seem to manage.  Lots of tournaments on to watch.😊 All quiet on the home front today.👏

After having a number of reasonably quiet days, good books to read, lots of tennis, the calm has been shattered.  Our back deck has some planks which are not in great shape so we had talked about getting it fixed when the weather was better.  Dave started thinking that this was something he could tackle (and he could about 20 years ago as he was really good at carpentry), however those days are past.  He figured he could replace at least one but instead of waiting while everything dried up he decided to go ahead.  He went to the lumber supply yard and got one plank, 5/12 inches wide, 2 inches deep, brought it home but neighbour had to carry it to the back deck as it was too heavy for him.  I looked at the new one then looked at our present planks and said, it's too wide. He said no, so I measured it and the current planks are 5 inches wide.  This morning he disappeared and our daughter said, guess what Dad's doing? He had already been outside and torn up the one plank, leaving lots of shattered wood below. Then he was taking a breather while I was doing my Tasmanian Devil act and threatening to call in our home fixing company.  He got mad and told me to mind my own business and on it went.  Now there is a hole in the deck right outside the dog door which had I not insisted on a cover for the hole would have been a disaster for our old mostly blind dog.  He had placed the new plank over the hole but naturally it doesn't fit so had to find a plywood sheet for outside the door while the old rotten plank is covering the rest of the hole.  He feels there is no problem trimming a half inch off the eight foot plank.  Heaven only knows where and when this is going to take place. Lord give me strength!

Oh dear!

I feel for you, momac and I fear that you will have to put up with the current state of your decking until he admits that he can't fix it - and that is not going to be any time soon.

I just hope that he sees sense before he tackles the problem with a saw, because a stubborn man with a saw and a job beyond his capability is a dangerous combination.

Does he have a power saw? I suggest you hide it, and put up with the ensuing row.

4 hours ago, megustaleer said:

Oh dear!

I feel for you, momac and I fear that you will have to put up with the current state of your decking until he admits that he can't fix it - and that is not going to be any time soon.

I just hope that he sees sense before he tackles the problem with a saw, because a stubborn man with a saw and a job beyond his capability is a dangerous combination.

Does he have a power saw? I suggest you hide it, and put up with the ensuing row.

I believe he gave his table saw away to the neighbour many years ago and now has some kind of saw but where he would be able to rest a plank that length, which he finds too heavy to lift, and use a power hand saw which I think he still has is anybody's guess.  As you say I'll just have to put up with it until he gets some help with the project.  Our neighbour who was always on hand to help us has sold their home and moved away nearer their daughter.  His wife had been in hospital for three months and they needed a home which was all on one level to accommodate her disability.  We employed him during the summer to cut our lawn and keep the hedge trimmed and he would go ahead and fix anything he thought needed doing, a general handy man, so his help is really missed.  We have employed the services of a gardening company and they do our lawns on a riding mower and the hedge is hand trimmed  by them.  Another company does the summer flower planting.  What we probably need is a smaller home but love where we are so we'll just have to manage as long as we can and I'll have to keep away from Dave's intended project.😖

Thanks Luna, project stalled right now and not sure what he is going to do, his Skilsaw, which was fairly old, gave up the ghost and getting a new one for the the amount of work required is not being considered, may get some assistance to finish the project, so we'll see what happens.

Upshot of project, hubby will ask for quote from contractor to remove decking and replace with concrete slabs. Does not want to deal with decking and is not fit enough to replace same, sounds to me like an expensive undertaking but if that's the route he wants to go then he can talk it over with the contractor.  Not getting involved. 😊

Finally hubby met with our usual contractor who will fix half the decking which needs fixing and some other items around the deck all for the sum of $1'000.00 - and that all came about by Dave attempting to do it himself, he seems pleased so I am glad that's settled and I didn't have to get involved.  It's only money.😏  So all should be quieter for a while. 

My flower planter was here today and put in two shades of geraniums, blue salvia and a nice taller white flower whose name is unknown to me, there will be some added bunch petunias and alyssum along the edges.  Must try to get him to spell the name of the flower, have been told twice and didn't catch it either time. :( It's quite a delicate looking flower so I'll look through the gardening book to see if I can identify it.