Sign in to follow this  
David

Have a Rant!

7 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Fortunately for us we are only voting in the European elections, if we are not out of Europe by that time

I find it ridiculous that candidates are 3 weeks from election and no one knows if there is an election or not.

If elections are called off, are the declared candidates due to be reimbursed for their expenses of an election that never took place?

Same here, after brexit, Ireland increases to 13 seats but until brexit only 11 meps can be there so 2 get elected and have to wait until Britain leaves meaning the 4th mep for Dublin and 5th for the south do not take their seat until then.

I also feel media outlets (the Irish mail, the Sunday times Ireland edition) putting uncritical interviews with a particular candidate on their front page might be crossing the line in terms of canvassing.

We also have a referendum on reducing the time frame for divorce from 5 years to 3 years. A work colleague is adamantly opposed to this, comparing it why not legalise bank robbing or murder. I'm not sure where to argue that point.

------

We also have local elections. My constituency is a 6 seater but because of a poster ban in the towns of constituency, I feel awareness is hard and helps the incumbents and I don't like the incumbents that are standing. Awareness is an important factor particularly where there is no local media after the town news website closed. 

Edited by iff

Our Poll cards have arrived for the European elections.

I wonder if someone will let us know if we actually have to turn up and vote on the day.

On 01/05/2019 at 14:07, iff said:

We also have a referendum on reducing the time frame for divorce from 5 years to 3 years. A work colleague is adamantly opposed to this, comparing it why not legalise bank robbing or murder. I'm not sure where to argue that point.

------

Sounds like maybe he is a staunch Catholic who believes that marriage is for life?

On 01/05/2019 at 23:20, megustaleer said:

Our Poll cards have arrived for the European elections.

I wonder if someone will let us know if we actually have to turn up and vote on the day.

Saw an article on the internet saying that Theresa May has accepted that the European elections will take place before Brexit.  I'm taking it that they are on until told otherwise.

Looks like they're still on, still haven't received our polling cards though.

It seems that the NHS has somehow got hold of my mobile number - first of all, a few years ago I got occasional texts confirming my appointment at my doctor's surgery......in Bristol, but I live in London and apart from a couple of very brief visits have never been to Bristol.  Now I've started getting texts from Barts Health Trust, which at least is almost the correct area, and yesterday got one asking for my feedback on my outpatients' appointment, which of course I didn't have (haven't been to the doctor since last October).  I hope  this ridiculous text service doesn't cost them anything, and if it does, then it's worrying that they can't get the right contact number, I hope no one missed an appointment because they didn't get the text reminder!

2 hours ago, Madeleine said:

It seems that the NHS has somehow got hold of my mobile number - first of all, a few years ago I got occasional texts confirming my appointment at my doctor's surgery......in Bristol, but I live in London and apart from a couple of very brief visits have never been to Bristol.  Now I've started getting texts from Barts Health Trust, which at least is almost the correct area, and yesterday got one asking for my feedback on my outpatients' appointment, which of course I didn't have (haven't been to the doctor since last October).  I hope  this ridiculous text service doesn't cost them anything, and if it does, then it's worrying that they can't get the right contact number, I hope no one missed an appointment because they didn't get the text reminder!

Our doctor's practice has a text service to remind you of appointments on the phone.  Never having forgotten an appointment (if over the phone, I write them on the calendar in the hall-way (and no it can't be seen from outside) if there, I get a wee printout and then write it in the calendar in the hall-way when I get home) I did not hand over my mobile phone number.  My father and brother are the only people who have my mobile number and that's how it's going to stay.

Can you opt out?

That's the point, I haven't opted in!  And how the heck a surgery in Bristol got my number....although that seems to have stopped now.

I did get a text before from a pizza place in swords (90 minutes from me. I don't even like pizza). I could opt out. Most likely someone needed a number so put mine down. There was a case a number of years ago where most Mondays I would get calls from men looking for a woman by the name Denise. Wonder if she was from swords

I do reminder my doctors once as they didn't have my number, phoned my mother for it. I think nowadays that would be a gdpr breach :d