Sign in to follow this  
David

Have a Rant!

I don't think the government thought that "leave" would win, and were totally unprepared.  I'm now beginning to think we'll never leave either, and yes as I said earlier a reform of the EU would be better for everyone, it seriously needs updating!

Neither side thought that 'leave' would win, and neither side had any plan for carrying out a 'leave' result.

Why do you think all the cowardly "leave" campaigners ran for the hills and left the government  sitting on this time bomb/ holding the poison chalice - and whatever other appropriate cliché comes to mind?

On 04/04/2019 at 15:28, megustaleer said:

Neither side thought that 'leave' would win, and neither side had any plan for carrying out a 'leave' result.

Why do you think all the cowardly "leave" campaigners ran for the hills and left the government  sitting on this time bomb/ holding the poison chalice - and whatever other appropriate cliché comes to mind?

My summation elsewhere is

This was an internal policy difference between Tories that cameron put in to the manifesto to appease eurosceptic backbenchers and it has turned into a national crisis for the UK. 

Cameron 2015 - I put this promise for a referendum in our manifesto but I didn't expect to win a majority and to be held to account on it

Brexiteers 2016 - we made these promises (immigration, £350m for the NHS, taking back control) in the referendum but we didn't expect to win the referendum and be held to account on it.

If you don't expect to win, you can promise the voters the world and never be held to account. This is standard political practice.

We see it everywhere, parties who don't expect to win can make all the promises they want without being held to account. The trouble comes when  they do win.

Be wary of the magic wand politics.

Edited by iff

4 hours ago, iff said:

If you don't expect to win, you can promise the voters the world and never be held to account. This is standard political practice.

Didn't the Irish do the same over the Lisbon Treaty? The referendum voted no so the government called it again.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2008/dec/13/eu-ireland-lisbon-treaty

I'm worried now that Brexit as taken the argument away from left/right or tory/labour, populism like in America, Brazil, Hungary, Turkey is on the rise.

Be worried.

14 minutes ago, Clavain said:

Didn't the Irish do the same over the Lisbon Treaty? The referendum voted no so the government called it again.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2008/dec/13/eu-ireland-lisbon-treaty

I'm worried now that Brexit as taken the argument away from left/right or tory/labour, populism like in America, Brazil, Hungary, Turkey is on the rise.

Be worried.

And we obtained specific assurances from the EU on issues and voted again based on the specific exclusions. These were areas that the Lisbon treaty didn't affect but some on the no campaign used to scaremonger people to vote no

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/lisbon-assurances-the-text-in-full-1.784991?mode=amp

7 minutes ago, iff said:

And we obtained specific assurances from the EU on issues and voted again based on the specific exclusions. These were areas that the Lisbon treaty didn't affect but some on the no campaign used to scaremonger people to vote no

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/lisbon-assurances-the-text-in-full-1.784991?mode=amp

Agree with you iff. The EU made changes for the Irish and I think also the Dutch and French who had referendums. (or ignored those, I forget).

The UK voted to leave and the EU wont budge an inch. Sad.

Couldn't have put it better myself, Cameron didn't think for one minute that Leave would win.

Not a rant, more of a depressing complaint.  Seems like each day I wake up and think, please God, no problems today please.  Since Dave was in hospital I find myself on edge that no further episodes arrive and now that Sheila is back at work I'm nervous that the medicine is now capable of preventing more seizure activity.  Each time the neurologist has to adjust the doseage I pray that this time it's sufficient to do the job.

The only time I can escape the thinking is if my book takes me away.  Thank the Lord for books.

Also find a bit of homesickness creeps in and today when I saw a nursery ad for rhododendrons, which are really difficult to grow in our region I thought I'd give it another try, they grow so well in the UK, and just to really get in the spirit I'll get some purple heather.  Amazing how yearning for how things used to be pops up in troubling times.

And the terrible fire in Notre Dame added a lot of sadness, hopefully as work to rebuild starts the mood in Paris will pick up greatly, such a marvellous structure which to this point has stood the test of time.

rhododendrond like acid soil, so you could be on a hiding to nothing if yours is alkaline - which it probably is if rhodos are generally difficult in your area. I doubt if they would thrive in pots, either, as they are big sprawling beasts in the wild.

What about their daintier cousins, azaleas? They can be grown in pots of ericaceous compost. You'll need that for your heather, too.

We now have two Rhodes but they are very small, more the size of a house plant.  I spoke with one of the gardeners and she has had quite good success with her present one but lost a previous one.  She has to wrap it in burlap for the winter because of the cold we get.  May just leave it in the container for now as it really doesn't look like the rhododendrons I have seen back in the UK. It's by way of being an experiment to see if we can keep it alive.  I have the Internet instructions for planting if we decide to move it. 

The lavender which I potted in vermiculite may or may not grow, the seeds were like ground pepper, very tiny, will be interesting to see if they germinate.  I love the scent of lavender. 

The heather he brought home looks healthy, we don't have a problem with it.  All we need now is to locate our watering cans which we think are in the shed.🙄

Good luck with the plants, we have a couple of azaleas in pots which seem to come through Ok each year.

Planted quite a few wildflower seeds today, don't usually have much luck with seeds so we'll see.

Our soil is alkaline, so I don't bother with azaleas and such.  People do grow them here, but the instructions are always to not let the roots touch the native soil.  I can't be bothered.  One of the things that is frustrating to those who want to plant them is that they grow really well JUST east of here.  So it's the soil, not the weather.

We've never had the soil tested so it's a case of trial and error for us.  Our subdivision was originally an apple orchard so whatever is good for apples should be ok for a lot of different plants.  Never planted azaleas, but they are pretty.

We have not had our soil tested either but we do have glorious rhododendrons so we must have acid soil.  It's still trial and error and at the moment the three of us are finding it hard to keep the grass cut.  The daffodils and snow drops come up every year as do the grape hyacinths.  Spring is my favourite time of year.

I like Spring too but it has been fairly cool up until now, was a bit warmer yesterday and the rains came.  Beneath the hedge there is a lot of water but the temp is going up a bit during the coming week which will be nice.  The Spring bulbs are beginning to show, some hyacinth and crocus and the daffs are showing some green leaves.  Will plant the mini rhodo once the weather clears.

We're having lovely weather this Easter weekend, last year was a washout!  wonder how long it will last though?

Too hot for me. :( and only April still !

Seedlings germinated badly, and struggled in the cold. Now they are burning up in the heat and i am having to move the seed trays arround the garden trying to get them in a little shade, and struggling to keep the compost moist.

Saturday was hot, yesterday and today much breezier.  I've planted up some seeds as well, mainly cornflowers and various wildflowers.

The weather turned from unseasonably hot at the w/e to normal early spring temperatures on Tuesday - which is a bit chilly for outdooor tomatoes.

The forecast for today in my neck of the woods was even chillier, with rain and strong winds, so at 06:30 I was outside rigging up some protection for my five little tomato plants. After breakfast I went shopping, suitably waterproofed, and came home at lunchtime sweltering in bright sunshine. 

I have not uncovered the tomatoes because, as soon as I do, the rain and strong winds will arrive and batter them down. Here's hoping they don't die of heat exhaustion in the meantime.

English weather :banghead: :banghead:

Same here weather wise, I planted out a some wildflower seeds at the weekend and one cosmos which is in a tub and planted quite deep so it should be protected, however I haven't done anything else yet as they said it would get chillier, ie more normal temps after the mini heatwave and I didn't want to risk them just yet.  I wouldn't plant toms until much later and I normally get a couple of small, fairly well-established plants, as I rarely have much luck with seeds, apart from cornflowers and sunflowers, anything else is always pretty much a disaster:help:!

Hope yours survive Meg!:)

1 hour ago, Madeleine said:

I wouldn't plant toms until much later and I normally get a couple of small, fairly well-established plants, as I rarely have much luck with seeds, 

That's what I usually do, but I don't get to the garden centre very often, so bought my plants as soon as i saw them for sale.

The warm weather in the week before Easter made them put on a growth spurt and, rather than risk knocking the tops off getting them in and out of the growhouse (which was far too hot in last week's sun) I thought they'd be better off planted out.

They should be OK with a bit of fleece over them if it doesn't get frosty. There is no shade where the pots are, so I'd like them to get established before they have to cope with much heat, or the notoriously blustery wind we get throughout the year along this stretch of coast.

I agree, sometimes you do have to buy things when you see them.  I would love a greenhouse but don't have the space for a decent sized one.

I've just received an Autumn/winter catalogue from a well known casual clothing company, feel like sending it back and telling them to send it again in 6 months' time!

I have always been a keen supporter of local politics, and deplore the low turnout in local elections - but:

In our neck of the woods there are about 6 candidates standing for 2 seats on the Town Councli, and 8 for ?? seats on the District Council.
So far we have received one leaflet from a Town Council candidate, and two for District Council candidates. Plus one from a political party which is fielding candidates in both elections and all wards, but hasn't given any details of the candidates - not even their names.
Everybody else is going to have to get their leaflet stuffed through our door pretty smartly if they want our votes - which presumably they don't, or we'd have heard from them before now.

I expect a very low turnout, and they can hardly blame the voters this time, given this lack of encouragement.