Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
David

Have a Rant!

Recommended Posts

Whatever the outcome, the UK will be in a fix. 

I have lost all faith in our so-called Parliamentary Democracy.  We are now a laughing stock in most of the world - apart from Europe, which can't see the funny side, and which will never forgive, or trust, us again. I think this chaos has diminished us as a nation and as any kind of influence in the world.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, megustaleer said:

Whatever the outcome, the UK will be in a fix. 

I have lost all faith in our so-called Parliamentary Democracy.  We are now a laughing stock in most of the world - apart from Europe, which can't see the funny side, and which will never forgive, or trust, us again. I think this chaos has diminished us as a nation and as any kind of influence in the world.

 

 

I agree. It's downright embarrassing and what's more Parliament are going to have to vote for 'the deal' or we will crash-out of the EU with no deal. Mrs May seems to have not been able to get that across.  It's ironic, imho, that the country is now being run by the Irish (DUP).  Stormont has been out of government for the best part of 2 years and if the DUP don't agree with something here it's not going to happen, so they seem to be running the country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

 

 the country is now being run by the Irish (DUP).  Stormont has been out of government for the best part of 2 years and if the DUP don't agree with something here it's not going to happen, so they seem to be running the country.

That has really had the steam coming out of my ears.  It's not the first time that particular tail has wagged the UK dog -  holding us to ransom because the Conservatives couldn't pass some piece of legislation without them.

We have local elections in May - I don't thinkI will be voting for anyone who is standing for the main political parties. We are quite near Brighton, so I am hoping the Greens will extend their reach out to this town. Or the Lib Dems,  Or The Monster Raving Loony Party!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Parliament are going to have to vote for 'the deal' 

Well, that didn't happen. It's a nightmare!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, megustaleer said:

That has really had the steam coming out of my ears.  It's not the first time that particular tail has wagged the UK dog -  holding us to ransom because the Conservatives couldn't pass some piece of legislation without them.

We have local elections in May - I don't thinkI will be voting for anyone who is standing for the main political parties. We are quite near Brighton, so I am hoping the Greens will extend their reach out to this town. Or the Lib Dems,  Or The Monster Raving Loony Party!!

 

The Monster Raving Looney Party stopped fielding candidates in our area a long time ago, much to my disappointment, and I thought that they were no more as a result of their leader Screaming Lord Sutch dying.  Not so.  They still exist and from their website : 

 

Brexit Proposals

13th March 19

We will Send Noel Edmonds to negotiate Brexit because he understands Deal or No Deal.
There will be no need for a backstop to the Brexit negotiations. We’ll have Alec Stewart as wicket-keeper.
James Wallace

 

 

ETA I might join

 

Edited by lunababymoonchild

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy none Brexit day. :banghead:

I like the story about the woman who named her cat Brexit. When she opens the door it can't decide whether to leave or stay in. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

It's ironic, imho, that the country is now being run by the Irish (DUP).

 

Don't call the dup Irish to their faces, they would not like that at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, lunababymoonchild said:

 

Why not?

 

Because they are British.

What do you think they have been fighting about for all these years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

 

The Monster Raving Looney Party <snip> They still exist and from their website : 

 

Brexit Proposals

13th March 19

We will Send Noel Edmonds to negotiate Brexit because he understands Deal or No Deal.
There will be no need for a backstop to the Brexit negotiations. We’ll have Alec Stewart as wicket-keeper.
James Wallace

 

 

 

 

I doubt he could do a worse job.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

 

Why not?

Image result for arlene foster angry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, megustaleer said:

 

Because they are British.

What do you think they have been fighting about for all these years?

 

I'm classed as British too but the fact that I'm Scottish always comes first.  But I do see what you mean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So sorry that everything seems in a mess over there, surely there is someone who can step up to the plate and fix the mess!  Must be very worrying for all of you.  No deal sounds as though it will have serious consequences for the British economy.🤔

 

On another note, love the colour combination in your quilt Luna.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 21:03, Clavain said:

Happy none Brexit day. :banghead:

I like the story about the woman who named her cat Brexit. When she opens the door it can't decide whether to leave or stay in. :)

 

I liked that one too.  Their website had me laughing out loud, which is always a good thing,

3 hours ago, momac said:

So sorry that everything seems in a mess over there, surely there is someone who can step up to the plate and fix the mess!  Must be very worrying for all of you.  No deal sounds as though it will have serious consequences for the British economy.🤔

 

On another note, love the colour combination in your quilt Luna.

 

I've been calling for 'someone' to step in and sort it for ages.  Unlikely, as nobody would want to take over it's such a mess.  I like the colours too and I have absolutely mountains of yarn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will have a rant.

Breixit as occupied  the national conversation for over 2 years now and we are no nearer to a resolution.

I was a reluctant leave voter. Can see the positives but despair at the negatives.. My father, daughter and sister are very remain.

It's an argument where there are no winners. Don't think a referendum or an election will solve this, like politicians the population is split.

My thoughts are the EU should change.There is a rise in the far right across Europe and it's in the interests of EU to maybe look at free movement, and pull back on military, political and monetary union.

If the EU would/could change I'm sure the remain vote would be massive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very sensible suggestion about the EU needing to reform, I don't think we should have a second referendum though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The longer this goes on the deeper the hole we/the politicians seem to be digging for us.

I can't see any resolution that will completely satisfy even half the population, It has been an unmitigated disaster from the word go.

Have any of the people that have been responsible for the whole mess ever considered what was in the best interest of the country, or just what is best for them personally/the future of their own political party/ their own political ideology?

Whatever happened to statesmanship?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact is parliament has no option but to vote for the deal as it stands.  Europe have signed off on it, there is nothing else and Article 50 states that we are legally obliged to leave.  Jean-Claude Juncker said we could stay but that's all there is.

 

I gave up looking for statesmen a long time ago

Edited by lunababymoonchild

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An interesting development last night. with the PM talking to Corbyn today.  The far right people in the Commons must be sh...ing themseles.  Who knows, it might work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could rant for hours on this subject but I will limit my response to what chuntzy has said and in my opinion the far right have only brought this on themselves, not going to say any more on that or I will head off into a whole new rant!

 

So I'll let this guy say it... (when satire is the uncomfortable truth)

WARNING: There is some rather strong language in both these clips.

 

 

 

or this one which is my personal favourite...

 

 

 

Yeah, so basically what he said!

 

Edited by Apple

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2019 at 02:25, Clavain said:

I will have a rant.

Breixit as occupied  the national conversation for over 2 years now and we are no nearer to a resolution.

I was a reluctant leave voter. Can see the positives but despair at the negatives.. My father, daughter and sister are very remain.

It's an argument where there are no winners. Don't think a referendum or an election will solve this, like politicians the population is split.

My thoughts are the EU should change.There is a rise in the far right across Europe and it's in the interests of EU to maybe look at free movement, and pull back on military, political and monetary union.

If the EU would/could change I'm sure the remain vote would be massive. 

Ok so I am going to say something else...

 

I totally agree with you! I admit I also voted to leave. I voted to leave the EU and my husband and son voted remain, however, I didn't make that decision lightly but I researched and after much thought and carefully considering all the options, I felt with the information I had found - at that time, that Britain would be better off leaving the EU. BUT now I have totally changed my mind, I fully admit that I was wrong, don't get me wrong I am still Euro Skeptic and believe there is much room for reform and improvement in Europe but  hold up my hands and admit I was wrong, and here is why, because the 'facts' which I so carefully researched to make an informed decision back in 2016, were, I now believe, fundamentally flawed and were misleading and basically wrong, and I'm not talking about the blatant more money for the NHS lie. So, I believe that I made a flawed decision based on inaccurate information and then it all came out in 2017 that some of the biggest mouthpieces of the leave campaign - Nigel Farage and Jacob Rees Mogg have off shore tax haven accounts and it all suddenly and dramatically became very clear at that point as why they were so keen to leave the EU when the EU was planning on implementing new legislation to help prevent tax avoidance. 

 

I would also like to say that I credited the British government with having more integrity and basic competence which was a huge mistake, you see I assumed that when the vote was in they would all pull together and use the two years of negotiation wisely and  secure the best possible outcome for the country, but their actions have proven throughout the entire negotiation period and up to this point, they have done precisely nothing other than fight among themselves and back-stab each other in a pathetic game of one-up-man-ship. The government reacted to the 'stop Brexit' petition by saying that they couldn't/wouldn't cancel Brexit because it would destroy the trust of the people, I think everything that has happened to this point in time has already done that.

Edited by Apple

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were never leaving.

 

Run the clock down then extension then 2nd referendum (which doesn't involve leave as an option).

 

And that's when things will really get interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...