Have a Rant!

David

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a current rant that I know David will jump all over.

Ariel. The sole purpose of their adverts is to show and tell us how amazingly efficient their product is at washing clothes. It gets all stains out even at low, low, temperatures. All stains. At low temperatures.

And now, I see, they are getting on the Vanish bandwagon and trying to sell us a stain removal powder that goes in your wash with your normal detergent. To get out tough stains. That would be the stains that their normal washing product is so brilliant at getting out.

Arghghghhgghhghghg!

Well, cart me away! I have never watched an episode since Mark McManus died.

Well, the next time there's a murrdurr in the East End, I'll be wondering who the victim is...

(I don't watch it much, really! And when I do, it always seems like the same story - dead body in big West End villa, shifty gardener, grieving widow...)

Well, cart me away! I have never watched an episode since Mark McManus died.
You are not missing much, Hazel.

I still remember the very first Taggart story I watched, and I still watch it, Sassenach 'though I am, in the hope of being as shocked as I was when the drain clearing truck pulled that head out of the gully, and in the hope of the same complicated red-herring filled plots that puzzled me in Mark McManus's time.

Sadly the current one-hour episodes just don't cut the mustard. It used to be head and shoulders above all the other detective series, but it's very run-of-the-mill nowadays.

This is a current rant that I know David will jump all over...

And now, I see, they are getting on the Vanish bandwagon and trying to sell us a stain removal powder that goes in your wash with your normal detergent. To get out tough stains. That would be the stains that their normal washing product is so brilliant at getting out.

:D

Exactly. That type of deceptive marketing is galling in the extreme. Of course, we could go back forty years or more and watch adverts of proud housewives holding up white shirts glowing as if blessed by St Peter himself - the result of using whichever brand of washing powder. And each year they'll tell us of a new formula which gets clothes even cleaner. Cleaner obviously than the perfect wash we saw in the prevous year's ad.

They get out of the hypocrisy a little by not actually mentioning their own washing product. They say that their stain removal boosts the stain removing power of your 'regular' powder. "Regular' covering a whole lot: they assume you are not using Ariel, they assume that your powder is sub-standard and the use of the word 'regular' in itself sound sub-standard, bargain basement. So, if you are using substandard powder to Ariel, as the implication suggests, then you should be buying Ariel, in which case they lead you to believe you don't them actually need the stain removal product - the whole range of which they are about to show you to see how many ways you can harness the power of Ariel to make your washing glow.

I am fuming. I have had to register something with the magistrates. At my local court, Dudley, because the other party lives elsewhere they sent it (after 3 weeks, althought they originally told me it would be done within a fewdays) to Coventry. I phoned Coventry who said no they hadnt got it, ring the central finance unit. They said no Coventry so I phoned Coventry back after some time they decided they had sent it to Leamington who I rang and they have sent it back to Dudley so they can forward it to Solihull. All because nobody knows which postcode areas each court covers. Is it just me.......

Ariel. The sole purpose of their adverts is to show and tell us how amazingly efficient their product is at washing clothes. It gets all stains out even at low, low, temperatures. All stains. At low temperatures.

Arghghghhgghhghghg!

They get out of the hypocrisy a little by not actually mentioning their own washing product. They say that their stain removal boosts the stain removing power of your 'regular' powder. "Regular' covering a whole lot: they assume you are not using Ariel, they assume that your powder is sub-standard and the use of the word 'regular' in itself sound sub-standard, bargain basement. So, if you are using substandard powder to Ariel, as the implication suggests, then you should be buying Ariel, in which case they lead you to believe you don't them actually need the stain removal product - the whole range of which they are about to show you to see how many ways you can harness the power of Ariel to make your washing glow

My answer to this is to complain. I've done it so many times with great success in being given £7 of coupons of Proctor & Gamble coupons each time to try another formulation of their washing product that my OH thinks I must be on some database somewhere which will result in repercussions in the future! For example, when they changed the Aeril Color powder formulation I found that my sons' rugby shirts weren't getting as clean so I complained and got aforementioned coupons to try the Gel stuff (as recommended by Which?). Then, a few months later, my washing machine repair man replaced its detergent hose because he said the Gel washing formulation should only be used on full 6kg loads otherwise the blobs don't dissolve and they build up in the machine even if you do very hot washes to try and clean the machine out. I complained again to Aeril who agreed that the packaging does not make it clear that it should only be used on full 6kg loads (and thus only really on cottons loads for my machine). They are just out to sell washing stuff and don't care about the life of our machines. (Also, beware of overdosing - when the powder packet says the amount for 5-6kg of washing it means cottons, so for 3kg of min. iron fabrics use half the amount, something the washing stuff producers don't mention as the more you use, the more they sell and, unfortunately, the more washing machines clog up and break down!).

BTW my washing machine repair man (Miele) recommends using Aeril Tablets or Liquitabs as they completely dissolve and leave no residue and so prolong the life of your washing machine and parts. My experience so far though is that Aeril doesn't clean very well in my hard water area and neither does the addition of Vanish! He also recommended Daz so I will be trying that for my whites.

I've always used Persil non-bio but in recent months have needed a biological product. My bf has eczema and he finds Bold ok. I use tablets which go in the drawer but often use 1 instead of the 2 recommended. i find the range of products bewildering and tend to stick to what I know.

No autistic child to make mountains of washing and so the 1400 rpm virtually earth moving twice or thrice daily loud noise that began at Easter 2008 is making it seem as if we're on holiday. However neighbours' noisy bikey machines are revving up two or three times a week still. Should have got Ecover tablets. :(

I couldn't use Ariel even if I wanted to because I suffer from eczema and the only thing that I know that I'm not allergic to is Persil. And no, I'm not about to try something different to find out!

I have a child suffering from eczema but Ariel's OK for him. Used to use Ecover liquid but didn't clean that well. I agree with you, stick with what works for you, your comfort is more important than your washing machine.

I can scarcely believe we have a thread for ranting that has descended into discussing the relative merits of different washing powders.

That's what happens when you engage with someone who's having a rant - you try to help from your own experience (in this case with washing powders!). Anyone having shoe problems, girls? (Love The IT Crowd episode with the size 5 red shoes!!!). Perhaps we should have an Agony Aunt thread too!

This reminds me of one those moments when I knew I had grown up. I was sitting at a party with some friends, and one girl's rant about her OH's inability to wash colours and whites separately descended into a session discussing the best way to sort the washing. Till someone pointed out we were meant to be having a party. :)

Why do record companies still produce singles that are 45rpm? And if they have to why can't they be consistent?

I've been listening to some Depeche Mode 12" singles today. They are all from the last five years and some are 33rpm and some are 45rpm. To change speed on my turntable I have to lift off the platter and manually move the belt. It's not difficult but it is annoying. In this day and age, all vinyl should be 33rpm.

I've been listening to some Depeche Mode 12" singles today. They are all from the last five years and some are 33rpm and some are 45rpm.

In this day and age, all vinyl should be 33rpm.

But if they were 33rpm on a 12" then it would be an LP not a 12" single. Surely?

Why do record companies still produce singles that are 45rpm? And if they have to why can't they be consistent?

I've been listening to some Depeche Mode 12" singles today. They are all from the last five years and some are 33rpm and some are 45rpm. To change speed on my turntable I have to lift off the platter and manually move the belt. It's not difficult but it is annoying. In this day and age, all vinyl should be 33rpm.

The first Marillion 12" single in 1982 (Market Square Heroes) was 33rpm, because the track on the B side was over 17 minutes long.

45rpm should theoretically allow a greater high frequency range I would have thought as the notes are spread over a greater "length" of vinyl.