Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
David

Have a Rant!

Recommended Posts

So sorry about your injuries iff. I hope they mend soon.

Also sorry about your brother not taking the ticket for Paul Simon & James Taylor. I would love to help you out there, but it's a bit too far to travel!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An update

I was at the dentists tuesday to have my chipped teeth looked at. Of the two teeth I damaged, my dentist put a filling in one of them which is good.

 

The other tooth, the dentist decided to extract it there as half the tooth is broken, well half the broken half.

 

For the remainder, he has referred me to another dentist in dundalk (15 miles/24 km away) for taking it out and that the other dentist will look at putting in an implant for the broken tooth and removing the root.

 

ithough with the half tooth gone, eating has become a lot easier (ironic?)

Edited by iff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Teeth can pose unexpected problems, hope yours are soon solved Iff.

 

I have tooth problems in that I really dislike wearing my partial upper set as I abhor the sticky you have to use to keep the darn thing in place, getting rid of the sticky once the partial is removed is a real nuisance so subsequently unless going out in company I don't use it. The upshot of this is that used infrequently the teeth around the space move so that yesterday when needed it didn't fit!  :scratchheSo off to the optometrist minus some teeth.  Now have to go back to the denture fixer and confess and get the partial re-aligned.  Thankfully all was well at the optometrist, no need for stronger glasses and it's four years since I had them checked so that was a plus.   Must be following my Granny's example.  She had a full set of false teeth kept in her top drawer and they never saw the light of day.:)

Edited by momac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, momac said:

I really dislike wearing my partial upper set as I abhor the sticky you have to use to keep the darn thing in place, getting rid of the sticky once the partial is removed is a real nuisance 

I am so with you on this!

 

I have a 'bridge', as a result of being very naughty and trying to undo a knot with my teeth. A crown failed when the 'peg' of original tooth broke, so I agreed to having a bridge made, but I was never happy wth it. It wasn't a comfortable fit, and I particularly loathed scraping  the 'gloop' from the roof of my mouth afterwards. 

Having worn it daily for a couple of months I moved on to only wearing it when i went out, then I forgot it  a few times, and none of the family noticed. So, already being aware that I am invisible to most people anyway (when you are elderly and overweight no-one actually looks at you) I jjust stopped wearing it altogether and now never even think about it.

 

Like your granny, my mother had a full set that she never wore - or almost never,  she used to put them in for social occasions, at which she was then unable to speak or eat.

 

I'm hoping that the real ones I have left will see me out, or I will be in the same state!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meg, It's good to know other people have similar problems and how they deal with them.  I'm quite happy without my partials in and often forget I have them.  I'll have to have them re-aligned if I want to use them in a social setting, something to think about.  I must admit they are not comfortable to eat with and on occasion I'v furtively removed them hoping no one notices. I have a feeling that I won't be in a hurry to get them fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2018 at 17:01, momac said:

Teeth can pose unexpected problems, hope yours are soon solved Iff.

 

 

 

thanks :)

i had the consultation with the dental surgeon today so still some time but it is in progress at least :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good for you iff, you're a young man and need your teeth in good shape for many years to come, they work a lot better than the commercial ones!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-07-31 at 16:22, iff said:

 

thanks :)

i had the consultation with the dental surgeon today so still some time but it is in progress at least :)

 

I've given up on the dentist; every time I go, I feel worse. The past cavities they gave me (which I don't even think existed) made my teeth hurt so much that I could barely eat soft white bread for a month. Even drinking water hurt my teeth. It took almost a year to finally fix itself. Funny how I went 10 years without going to the dentist and was fine, and once I go, my mouth is in the worst shape it's ever been in.

 

Never again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, bedtime said:

I've given up on the dentist; every time I go, I feel worse. The past cavities they gave me (which I don't even think existed) made my teeth hurt so much that I could barely eat soft white bread for a month. Even drinking water hurt my teeth. It took almost a year to finally fix itself. Funny how I went 10 years without going to the dentist and was fine, and once I go, my mouth is in the worst shape it's ever been in.

 

Never again.

 

And yet you keep saying that you will bite if disagreed with ……………………………..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bedtime said:

I've given up on the dentist; every time I go, I feel worse. The past cavities they gave me (which I don't even think existed) made my teeth hurt so much that I could barely eat soft white bread for a month. Even drinking water hurt my teeth. It took almost a year to finally fix itself. Funny how I went 10 years without going to the dentist and was fine, and once I go, my mouth is in the worst shape it's ever been in.

 

Never again.

 

Unfortunately my  recent dental visits have been out of necessity because of this.

 

The garda officer on the case of whose loose calf it was could not identify the owner of it, unfortunately though I wasn't surprised that it was fruitless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having a bit of a difficult time lately as husband sometimes tries to fix something he figures is wrong and ends up causing some upset.  We had our bed anchored to the wall as the headboard was from a previous bed and it needed to be stationary.  Got it fixed by the people who do our alterations and renovations and Dave was trying to adjust the rail which he has on his side of the bed and ended up pulling the whole thing apart, now it's worse than it was and I don't know if they will be able to fix it, he's also complaining about the mattress which isn't very old.  It's a different problem each day and it's a bit hard to deal with, some days pass quite normally and then there are the others!  Part of growing old I guess. :(

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, momac said:

Having a bit of a difficult time lately as husband sometimes tries to fix something he figures is wrong and ends up causing some upset.  We had our bed anchored to the wall as the headboard was from a previous bed and it needed to be stationary.  Got it fixed by the people who do our alterations and renovations and Dave was trying to adjust the rail which he has on his side of the bed and ended up pulling the whole thing apart, now it's worse than it was and I don't know if they will be able to fix it, he's also complaining about the mattress which isn't very old.  It's a different problem each day and it's a bit hard to deal with, some days pass quite normally and then there are the others!  Part of growing old I guess. :(

 

Momac not sure if it's a solution but a friend of mine sleeps in a separate room to his wife and for many years this as worked. She has an en suite bathroom and lots of wardrobes, he has a computer and stacks of biking magazines. She told me confidentially it was because of his snoring but neither want to go back to sharing. There is the added frisson of the occasional visit to the others bedroom :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, momac said:

Having a bit of a difficult time lately as husband sometimes tries to fix something he figures is wrong and ends up causing some upset.  We had our bed anchored to the wall as the headboard was from a previous bed and it needed to be stationary.  Got it fixed by the people who do our alterations and renovations and Dave was trying to adjust the rail which he has on his side of the bed and ended up pulling the whole thing apart, now it's worse than it was and I don't know if they will be able to fix it, he's also complaining about the mattress which isn't very old.  It's a different problem each day and it's a bit hard to deal with, some days pass quite normally and then there are the others!  Part of growing old I guess. :(

 

 

It sounds like he's bored Momac.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clavain, thanks for the response, gave me a wee bit of a smile as we are coming up to our 62nd wedding Anniversary and all 'frissons' are somewhat unlikely, given our advanced years, but thanks for the suggestion of different bedrooms, he does have a bed for his afternoon nap but not roomy enough for overnight sleep.

 

Luna, he is bored and annoyed as his physical condition does not allow for much in the way of exercise, not too good with memory either so we just have to manage as best we can.  I just have to sound off every so often.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, momac said:

Luna, he is bored and annoyed as his physical condition does not allow for much in the way of exercise, not too good with memory either so we just have to manage as best we can.  I just have to sound off every so often.

 

Of course you do, and we are here every time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, momac said:

Clavain, thanks for the response, gave me a wee bit of a smile as we are coming up to our 62nd wedding Anniversary and all 'frissons' are somewhat unlikely, given our advanced years, but thanks for the suggestion of different bedrooms, he does have a bed for his afternoon nap but not roomy enough for overnight sleep.

 

Luna, he is bored and annoyed as his physical condition does not allow for much in the way of exercise, not too good with memory either so we just have to manage as best we can.  I just have to sound off every so often.

 

 

If your husband likes fixing things, do you think he would enjoy model making, if the instructions were easy to follow......or a jigsaw?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, momac said:

 

 

Luna, he is bored and annoyed as his physical condition does not allow for much in the way of exercise, not too good with memory either so we just have to manage as best we can.  I just have to sound off every so often.

 

 

Sounding off can be good. A good form of release.

 

I see the similar kind of boredom with my own father (he's 63). I think boredom and not be active physically or socially are part of the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes iff, and I do sound off and the dogs run for cover. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Loretta said:

 

If your husband likes fixing things, do you think he would enjoy model making, if the instructions were easy to follow......or a jigsaw?

Hi Loretta, he used to do a lot of carpentry and we have several nice furniture pieces in the house but is not able to do that now, very poor balance and legs don't work well.  He has never shown any interest in jigsaws but does read a bit. He sleeps quite a bit, if he is sitting for any length of time he falls asleep.  He is interested when there's tennis on as we have a couple of good tennis players who do well in the televised tournaments, he became interested because I always follow the tennis and it gradually caught his interest and he watches the Toronto baseball team - end of season now. He has a tablet and often watches YouTube music videos.  Just gets annoyed because of physical problems. Thanks for the suggestions though.:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our internet provider has really let us down

We had no internet Tuesday night and got in contact with them. Still not fixed by Wednesday evening, in contact again and they had a condescending "did you try plugging it out and back in again" yes several times. 

 

Still no fix six days on which is disappointing.

 

Thankfully, Vodafone did give me free 2gb mobile data as a Christmas gift so I can access the internet on mobile only but I am a bit of a miserly Scrooge when it comes to the mobile data. No I need to preserve the data and ration it out.

 

If it continues much longer, I might soon be getting a visit from 3 ghosts. 

 

Hope they are the same ones as the muppetts Christmas carol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not so much of a rant as a question.  How do other BGO'ers manage when it feels that every damn thing is going wrong and you have no back up for advice or words of wisdom on how to pick yourself up and get feeling positive.  At least today there is brilliant sunshine.:banghead:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, momac said:

Not so much of a rant as a question.  How do other BGO'ers manage when it feels that every damn thing is going wrong and you have no back up for advice or words of wisdom on how to pick yourself up and get feeling positive.  At least today there is brilliant sunshine.:banghead:

 

I resort to my book and try very hard not to sulk.  Or I just have a go at my dad (who is usually the cause anyway)

 

I hope life picks up for you, Momac

Edited by lunababymoonchild

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good that you have a strategy Luna.  Reading helps if the book is interesting. It's just that some problems have no answer.  Anyway, thanks for responding. Even having a few words with someone on the other side of the Atlantic helps.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, momac said:

Good that you have a strategy Luna.  Reading helps if the book is interesting. It's just that some problems have no answer.  Anyway, thanks for responding. Even having a few words with someone on the other side of the Atlantic helps.  :)

 

Ah yes.  The old 'no answer to it' problem.  That always has my father at the centre of it, in my case.  He just won't be told!  Something we are dealing with just now.  I say what I need to say to him and thus get it off my chest.  I know that it won't make a difference so, having gotten it off my chest, I ignore it until it crops up again and we do the same thing.  I have also been known to talk to myself.  You'd be surprised how useful that is, especially when the other person in the house is very hard of hearing.  

 

Or you could just chuck it in the f*** it bucket

 

Donald Trump isn't worth worrying about imho, if that's the problem

Edited by lunababymoonchild

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×