Sign in to follow this  
David

Have a Rant!

As much as I could find in the cache:

Artegall 15th January 2007 09:30 PM

Have a rant

And why not? They're always the most fun things to read. I look on this as an angrier version of the waste of space thread. This is my friend talking about the phenomenon of 'Oyzumping' (for anyone who lives in London):

To be "oyzumped" is as follows. A familiar scene: you are approaching a ticket barrier at a London Underground station in a large, rapidly-moving crush of people, so that you move through immediately following your predeccessor, who, unbeknownst to you and perhaps even to him, has a defective oyster card. His attempt to "touch out, in order to avoid paying the maximum cash fare" (in the words of the invariably Indian announcers who so enliven and enrich our commuting days with this strangely Vedic mantra) is of course unsuccessful, and provokes only the dreaded electric angst of the Seek Assistance message, which always seems to me to be more of a nihilistic statement on the parlous condition of co-operation in modern human society rather than a specific injunction (And shouldn't we all seek a little more assistance from time to time, people?)

But I digress.

His little face contorting with dismay, our man in front steps back from the resolutely steadfast barriers, but JUST AT THE SAME MOMENT your own oyster card is irreversibly descending towards the reader. You try to pull back, possibly to tear it from the machine with a cry of NOOOOO and perform a perfect duck-and-roll into the ticket machine, but it's too late. Our man in front veritably squeals with delight as, inexplicably, the barriers foreclosing his future progress are abruptly flung asunder! Marveling at this minor technological miracle, he quickly darts through, like an eager salmon returning to the fabled breeding ponds of his youth. In his wake, the barriers snap back with a scornful retort, entombing you within their claustrophobic embrace and divorcing you, perhaps forever, from the sunlit uplands of the ticket hall beyond. You, my sorry friend, have been OYZUMPED!

The worst part of it is that the clever computer system decrees that you have now left the station. You are dead to the Oyster. You are, in truth, an Anoychronism, out-of-place within the universe of Ken's all-seeing plastic eye. Any further attempt to scan your card leads only to further exhortations to "Seek Assistance! Seek Assistance!" as the machine grapples helplessly with the existential conundrum your unexpected presence within the station has provoked.

Now there is no alternative but to back apologetically through the accusatorial throng who have accumulated behind, like human sediment, during your predecessor's short altercation with the barrier. "It's not my fault!" you want to blather. "My card is fully charged! You, sir! You accuse me, with your glare, of having mounted at a Docklands Light Railway station and failing to touch in, which lamentable lack of foresight has led to the sorry debacle you now see before you! But I tell you the truth, sir: the monster here is not I!" But of course you don't say any of this, because there is no point - your fellow commuters will despise you regardless. There is one form of acceptable behaviour at the exit to a Tube station in rush-hour, and only one, namely, to exit the station as fast as humanly possible with the absolute minimum disruption to anyone else's efforts to do the same. Any deviants from this simple path are roundly condemned as antisocial lackwits and enemies of humanity on a par with malarial insects, no matter where the blame for their insufficiently rapid exit can be laid.

But to my mind, the worst part of the whole ghastly experience comes when you mumblingly approach the attendant stood by the gate they have installed specially for the overly-baggaged and wheelchairbound. You brandish your dishevelled oyster in the general direction and open your mouth to begin setting out the detail of your misfortune. Now, I know these guys are busy. They have whole daysful of standing about and looking surly to do. So, in my own head, as I near them, I work out what I am going to say and how I'm going to gabble it out as quickly as possible. I have it down to something like "I'msryguyscardinfronnamedinworkIswipedmineanhewent through", which I think is pretty good, but before I can literally get past the first syllable the attendant is already opening the gate with an aggressively bored expression that eloquently informs me that I am a mentally subnormal troglodyte whom the intricacies of the oyster card system are several million years of evolution beyond, and look, never mind if I have stiffed London Underground out of the price of a fare here, he's a generous sympathetic kind of guy and he's going to give me this one just because it's in everyone's interests to get an idiot like me out of the station as fast as possible before I crush a small child with my distressed elephantine blunderings, or something.

Now utterly humiliated, I shuffle out of the station, darkly cursing the damnable eyes of the blackguard who put me in this sorrisome state. Oyzumpers are of two kinds: incompetents and opportunists - but both cause the same damage to innocent lives. Commuters, beware.

My Friend Jack 16th January 2007 09:20 AM

Blimey, mate, how can anyone follow that?!

Seriously, I have seen this happen many times and something similar happened to me (can't recall the details, but I got through the barrier) a year ago. The odd thing was that I topped up my Oyster card several times afterwards, but on my 3rd or 4th top-up, a message appeared on the screen saying I should seek help. The guy I spoke to inserted my card into his magic machine and told me the exact date of my "unreconciled journey" some 4 months previous. It took him about 10 seconds to resolve.

I've had one or two incidents of my card not working but (because of my laptop bag, the person behind me has never been able to reach the card reader to become a victim of Oyzumping. A quick check with the nearest TfL employee has always led to my getting through the barrier. And I always make a mental note of the remaining total on my card, and haven't been diddled yet!

I feel I should have a rant myself, but I couldn't summon sufficient vitriol to do it justice. The subject, though, would be: why do so many lorry drivers manage to roll over just before they reach Junction 9 of the M25?

Royal Rother 16th January 2007 10:21 AM

I don't even know what an oyster card is.

As for the lorry drivers, maybe the ones who roll over are top heavy due to their leather heads.

Deinonychus 16th January 2007 12:04 PM

This is an Oyster card:

Sent to save us underground users a whole shedload o' money. Yet I seem to be paying more than I used to these days...

...and don't try and use it on certain rail networks.

Grammath 16th January 2007 01:24 PM

Bad commute yesterday, Artegall?

elfstar 16th January 2007 01:57 PM

I'm not going to join in on this thread, life's too short....

***Goes off into a corner from which can be heard the odd phrase ... empty supermarket shelves... shops with no prices marked....school shoes....telesales....MUD....pop ups....early mornings...teenagers....bus fareincreases...***

MarkC 16th January 2007 03:55 PM

I could do one on traffic on the A369 leaving Portishead at 8.30am and the stupidty of the head of the DETR (or whatever they were called - I mean John Prescott anyway) forcing N.Somerset council to allow thousands of homes to be built on the old power station site and other places without doing anything to sort out traffic congestion on the A369 caused by the inability to get onto the roundabout to get on the northbound M5.

"Everyone who buys the new houses will work in Portishead" was the cry from central government in the late 1990s/early 2000. No they wont. Waitrose and the Co-op can only employ so many people and the wages they pay will not strech to "town houses" located in a "prestigious marina development". I can't afford them either. Nor will one bus every half an hour going the centre of town help the huge number of people who don't work in the centre of town (me being one example).

I tend to get a bit unimpressed when my 25 minute journey to work becomes 30 minutes to do the first two miles :grumble:

Quote:

Originally Posted by elfstar

....MUD...

Multi User Dungeon?

elfstar 16th January 2007 04:02 PM

No just ordinary common or garden mud, the kind which covers my older boys' school trousers,shoes,blazers........sports kit after one wearing.

David 16th January 2007 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elfstar

No just ordinary common or garden mud.

Still, you've gotta admit, those Multi-User Dungeons are a bit of a swine!

;)

Go on, MarkC - enlighten me. Is that an online gaming environment or a CIA facility?

And...

Hazel 16th January 2007 04:09 PM

Lost - Channel 4 - need I say more?

David 16th January 2007 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hazel

need I say more?

Absolutely not!

(Shouldn't you be covered in jelly and cream by now?)

(Not a proposition, of course, but an earlier reference on another thread to a children's birthday party)

MarkC 16th January 2007 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David

Still, you've gotta admit, those Multi-User Dungeons are a bit of a swine!

;)

Go on, MarkC - enlighten me. Is that an online gaming environment or a CIA facility?

I thought it might be the garden variety, but the use of capitals made me wonder if it was the acronym.

MUDs were text based online "role playing" games that were simple precursors to the current crop of grapical online role-play games (EQ, WoW etc). They were similar in feel to the single player text based "adventure" games that you could by for things like the ZX spectrum and also owed a lot to pen and paper Dungeons and Dragons. Someone I know still runs a MUD server, on the days he can get his computer to work.

Nothing to do with the CIA (I hope!)

chuntzy 16th January 2007 04:44 PM

trolls spoiling good boards

Deinonychus 16th January 2007 06:21 PM

Blimey, I'd love to lead the kind of stress-free existence where 'mud' is considered a major problem..!

elfstar 16th January 2007 06:32 PM

You have to see it and when your washing machine blows every fuse in the house trying to cope and the blazers aren't tumble dryable and are too expensive to have 2 each of because of the fancy braid......

And I didn't create the problem but I still have to deal with it....and when did a rant have to be about something serious rather than something seriously annoying?

Tell us yours then Deino, and if you could spare one of those precious kisses it might make it better ;)

p.s I looked for your book in Waterstones when spending my Christmas book token but they didn't have it. :mad: Got Topcat's anyway (half price)

Thanks for finding some of this thread David. I felt the need to bring it to the fore today after my visit to Tescos.

It really makes me mad to see cars being driven the wrong way down the lanes in the parking area. :angry: Our Tescos has just recived a re-vamp, costing, so I was informed, one million pounds. Part of the money was spent in the car parking area. We now have covers over the trolley parks - I asked for this ten years ago, so I was pleased to see that. We have also had all the white lines repainted and bright new No Entry signs put up in the appropriate places. Yes today, I calculated that at least half the drivers ignored these signs - not an unusual occurrence in my experience.

Oh, and while I am on the revamp I might add that the new check-our desks have less space for packing than did the old ones. And because the check-out machines are more efficient the purchases come through faster so there is no chance to pack your goods up at the same rate. Stupid :angry:

Well, now I've got that off my chest I think I'll have a nice cup of tea.

Looks like you found page 1, David, I knew I had posted on this thread and found page 2 (first part):

Hazel 16th January 2007 07:17 PM

(Not a proposition)[/Quote]Damn, my loss. ;)

--------------------------------------------------

Lady Lazarus 16th January 2007 07:58 PM

My lovely next-door neighbours (ahem) played music at 6.30am this morning so loud it woke me up... this is after they kept me awake until 4.30am shouting at their dog and running up the stairs... roll on next tuesday when we are moving out!!!

Deinonychus 16th January 2007 08:05 PM

(Sorry, elfstar - just having a crap day today. For my daily rant, go to the CBB thread...)

tagesmann 16th January 2007 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Lazarus

My lovely next-door neighbours (ahem) played music at 6.30am this morning so loud it woke me up... this is after they kept me awake until 4.30am shouting at their dog and running up the stairs... roll on next tuesday when we are moving out!!![/Quote]

Have you seen this site?

Stokos 17th January 2007 07:36 PM

My turn.

I'm an easy going sort of chap but every now and then.......... grr.

Ebay ratings really get on my tits.

*****+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++[/Quote]What the heck is that all about?

I have for the past 6 months waged a one man campaign to devalue the Ebay ratings. My crusade started when a CD arrived after 8 days when they said 3.

I rated the company 2 stars, it turned up, but it was late, I felt justified.

So heres is how I do it.

My basic requirement is that the goods arrive, on time and undamaged. For that the seller gets 3 stars, only because I cant give 2 and a half stars.

If it arrives early, the packaging is excellent or they excel in some other way then they might get 4 or heaven forbid 5 stars.

Last week I deigned to give 3 stars to a CD supplier that supplied a disk on time and undamaged. I got a snotty email from the seller demanding that I rate him 5 stars. When I replied and explained my rating (Like I should even do that), I was told that I was on his "black list" and would never sell to me again. Whose loss?

Bill 17th January 2007 07:48 PM

Stokos, do you mean Amazon Marketplace? Ebay is either positive, negative or neutral, surely.

Momo 17th January 2007 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Stokos

...My basic requirement is that the goods arrive, on time and undamaged. For that the seller gets 3 stars, only because I cant give 2 and a half stars.

If it arrives early, the packaging is excellent or they excel in some other way then they might get 4 or heaven forbid 5 stars.

Last week I deigned to give 3 stars to a CD supplier that supplied a disk on time and undamaged. I got a snotty email from the seller demanding that I rate him 5 stars. When I replied and explained my rating (Like I should even do that), I was told that I was on his "black list" and would never sell to me again. Whose loss?[/Quote]I never buy at ebay. But at amazon marketplace. If a seller supplies the goods at the time they say they will supply it and in excellent condition, then he deserves 5 stars in my opinion. After all, what could the guy have done more? Wrap it in gift paper? Deliver it to your house personally?

I would give 3 stars if, for example, the goods arrived a little later than told. Because, after all, sometimes it's the mail's fault and I wouldn't know who was to blame.

But, of course, it's always up to the buyer to do his or her rating, I guess.

Stokos 17th January 2007 08:51 PMQuote]Originally Posted by Bill

Stokos, do you mean Amazon Marketplace? Ebay is either positive, negative or neutral, surely.[/Quote]Doh my bad. I was so into my rant. Amazon of course.

Mungus 18th January 2007 10:10 AM

I'll tell you what really annoys me: young, fat, slobby women in tracksuits who slump over the handle of their shopping trolleys and let it drag them around the supermarket. I can forgive older people who may have mobility problems and need to use the trolley for support. I'm having trouble articulating quite why it annoys me so much, but it's the fundamental lack of grace, smacks of deep seated laziness and lack of self respect. :grumble:

(Usually when I have this rant, the listener looks up and says "I do that...".)

Barblue 18th January 2007 10:35 AM

Another windy day. Another refuse collection. Street full of empty plastic milk cartons and paper AND empty recycling containers rolling around in the roads. All unavoidable in my opinion if they were diligent. Do you think I could invoke a local by-law, about the Council causing litter, and get them to pay a fine :thinking: No, that probably means my Council Tax will go up even higher this year. Oh well, I suppose I will have to go out and clean up again.

megustaleer 18th January 2007 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Barblue

Oh well, I suppose I will have to go out and clean up again.[/Quote]I'd wait until the weather calms down if I were you.

My husband is the village litter-picker, and he has just given up for the day.

It's hard going when you have to chase the litter and then peel the wet paper from the from vertical surfaces, rather than just pick it up from the pavement :rolleyes:

And here is the second part of page 2:

Momo 18th January 2007 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mungus

I'll tell you what really annoys me: young, fat, slobby women in tracksuits who slump over the handle of their shopping trolleys and let it drag them around the supermarket. I can forgive older people who may have mobility problems and need to use the trolley for support. I'm having trouble articulating quite why it annoys me so much, but it's the fundamental lack of grace, smacks of deep seated laziness and lack of self respect. :grumble:

(Usually when I have this rant, the listener looks up and says "I do that...".)[/Quote]No, you're right. I'm already annoyed seeing them in a tracksuit outside their home, even if they're not slumped over the handle of their trolley. I hate tracksuits. They are meant for sports and don't look good on most people (especially on those who don't use them for sports because they don't do any - like me). I never even dressed my children that way. When my eldest was about three, I visited a friend whose neighbour child was their. My son asked him why he was in his pyjamas in the middle of the day.

:D

Grammath 18th January 2007 11:57 AM

Surely this rant just needs to be expanded into a general diatribe against the shell suit, and those that wear them? Or would that be class snobbery?

David 18th January 2007 12:16 PM

I'll tell you what really annoys me: young, fat, slobby women in tracksuits who slump over the handle of their shopping trolleys and let it drag them around the supermarket.[/Quote]Okay, if we're onto supermarkets, here's mine.

People who leave their trolleys in the middle of aisles while they go and rummage around on the shelves, meaning that a whopping great obstacle is left for everyone else to negotiate or push out of their way. Or having conversations in the middle of aisles, avec trolleys, bringing about the same effect. Or going to the shelves holding handle of trolley so that it's at right-angles to the aisle, thereby blocking it for everyone else. Or...okay, you're catching the drift here, doubtless.

People at the back of queues who when a new checkout is opened don't offer that the people in front of them might like to go first but instead become Linford Christie and charge to stake their claim.

People who decide they don't want something so just put it back on any old shelf, so that you might be perusing the ground coffee only to find a half-thawed frozen chicken staring back at you.

Checkout staff who've said "Would you like any help with your packing?" so much that it just becomes an indecipherable drawl: "d'yerliknhrpthyrpukn?" I just automatically say 'no thanks' when a noise emerges from their mouths, but they could just as easily be saying, "Would you like me to ram this tube of toothpaste through the back of your head?"

Picking up a copy of the Radio Times from the shelf only to find half a rainforest of crap falling out of it on the floor, which I feel obliged to pick up.

"10 items or less" signs.

Checkout children who wear that smile when running your purchases through the scanner. You know the one.

We could be here all day...and I really need to do some shopping.

MarkC 18th January 2007 12:37 PM

Picking up a copy of the Radio Times from the shelf only to find half a rainforest of crap falling out of it on the floor, which I feel obliged to pick up.[/Quote]I am very careful when picking up my Radio Times to ensure the additional material remains on the shelf from which the magazine came. They can put it in their recycling, rather than me put it in mine.

I agree about your other supermarket rants, I always use a basket to avoid trolley rage and to use the "Baskets only" checkouts in my local Waitrose.

Page 3

Mungus 8th January 2007, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Grammath

Surely this rant just needs to be expanded into a general diatribe against the shell suit, and those that wear them? Or would that be class snobbery? [/Quote]My rant is much more about the slumping over the trolley than the person doing the slumping.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Barblue 18th January 2007, 02:52 PM

Re supermarkets, I agree with all the above from David but would also like to add to the list. I get very angry with people who find it impossible to walk the trolley back to the parking area for said article. Sometimes the trollies are left just anywhere around the cars and even when they are returned to said designated area, they are just pushed in blindly so that you get then at awkward angles, sizes mixed up and end up not having enough space to put one in yourself. I can't tell you how much time I spend sorting out the mess trolleys get into in parking area. And I know they employ people to do this job, and I know the bays should be emptied often but they are not soooo somebody has to do it. Don't they?

Hazel 18th January 2007, 03:28 PM

"10 items or less" signs. [/Quote]10 items or fewer?

I know it should be this but I can't confidently identify why. David, I hear a calling for your expertise...

Mungus 18th January 2007, 03:31 PM

The 'x items or less' thing is one of my husband's pet peeves. Only M&S and Waitrose seem to be able to get it right i.e. 'x items or fewer'.

David 18th January 2007, 04:30 PM

10 items or fewer? [/Quote]'Less' is actually the comparative form of 'little' and so can only refer to something that can be viewed in singular terms. If you talked about there being 'little cows' for instance, you know very well that the reference is to the size of each cow, because 'little' refers to the size of an individual object rather than the number involved. 'Few cows' would tell us that. In a nutshell, 'less' refers to the reduced size of something whole whilst 'fewer' refers to a reduced quantity of more than one item.

So, if you talked about having 'little' items in your shopping basket you could only be saying you have produce that is small in size. What you'd want to say is that you have 'few' items in your basket.

Saying it like that makes it sound obvious, but as soon as we change the forms to the comparative everyone gets confused and they start saying 'less' to convey a reduced quantity, when they should say 'fewer'.

Remember, of course, that some nouns can suggest quantity, but grammatically are singular concepts, so:

Fewer coins but less money

Fewer bottles of wine (my resolution!) so less shopping to bring home.

Hope that clarifies it!

(Mentioning little cows immediately brought to mind one of my favourite Father Ted moments: Ted holding up a toy cow to Dougal in their holiday caravan, "You see, Dougal, this is near by, whereas those (pointing out window) are faaaar awaay..." Brilliant.)

Deinonychus 18th January 2007, 05:42 PM

We've done this, guys.

'Less' - mass ('less coffee')

'Fewer' - collection ('fewer coffee beans')

David 18th January 2007, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Deinonychus

We've done this, guys. [/Quote]I know, but if someone asks it seems reasonable to offer an explanation.

Hazel 18th January 2007, 07:03 PM

I know, but if someone asks it seems reasonable to offer an explanation. [/Quote]Much appreciated it was too David. :flowers:

David 18th January 2007, 07:06 PM

Much appreciated it was too David. :flowers:[/Quote]You're very welcome, Hazel.

Deinonychus 18th January 2007, 07:24 PM

Just saying, that's all!

Barblue 18th January 2007, 08:41 PM

I'd like to add my thanks too David.

As a fairly new member I am aware subjects may have been covered in the past, but trying to dig them out is not always possible - well not for me anyway. Having them explained again may seem tedious, but I certainly appreciate every bit of help I can get. I seem to learn something new every day I'm here. That's what I love about BGO.

Momo 18th January 2007, 09:49 PM

As a fairly new member I am aware subjects may have been covered in the past, but trying to dig them out is not always possible - well not for me anyway. Having them explained again may seem tedious, but I certainly appreciate every bit of help I can get. I seem to learn something new every day I'm here. That's what I love about BGO. [/Quote]Don't worry, it happens from time to time but nobody will tell you off for that. Someone might even find the thread and post a link.

David, thanks for your great explanation. I remember you explaining other grammatical points and it's wonderful that you do this. Not everyone was lucky enough to have it explained properly in school. I always remember "fewer" when you can count the items, "less" if you can't. But that's only a very short help and doesn't explain it in every occasion. So, thanks.

People who leave their trolleys in the middle of aisles ...

[Colour=DarkRed]People at the back of queues who when a new checkout is opened don't offer that the people in front of them might like to go first but instead become Linford Christie and charge to stake their claim. [/Colour]

People who decide they don't want something so just put it back on any old shelf ...

Checkout staff who've said "Would you like any help with your packing?" so much that it just becomes an indecipherable drawl: "d'yerliknhrpthyrpukn?" ...

Picking up a copy of the Radio Times ...

"10 items or less" signs .... [/Quote]I just had to laugh about this post. I had to laugh so much, especially about "d'yerliknhrpthyrpukn?" (where on earth do you live) and wanted to read it to my husband. But I was probably talking the same way because he couldn't understand a word, I was laughing too much.

I agree soooo wholeheartedly, e.g. people blocking the aisles really get on my nerve (you forgot the ones who stand right in front of the shelves so that you can't possibly get to them). And as to the people in the queue, be glad you have a queue. It's sport no. one over here to get in front of anybody who might have been in front of you for ages! The same with parking and taking away the spot of someone who is just about the reverse into a parking spot ... Here I could go on forever ...

Originally Posted by MarkC

I agree about your other supermarket rants, I always use a basket to avoid trolley rage and to use the "Baskets only" checkouts in my local Waitrose. [/Quote]I would love that. But, with a family of four, I'd either have to go three times a day or my children would get hungry. :rolleyes:

tagesmann 18th January 2007, 10:21 PM

People who leave their trolleys in the middle of aisles while they go and rummage around on the shelves, meaning that a whopping great obstacle is left for everyone else to negotiate or push out of their way. Or going to the shelves holding handle of trolley so that it's at right-angles to the aisle, thereby blocking it for everyone else. [/Quote]I just push them out of the way with enough force that they notice (hitting them gently in the ankle is always good) and smile politely. I especially enjoy it when the offender looks at me in surprise that anyone would dare interfere with their trolley.

My pet hate is when people return their smaller trolley and attach it to a larger trolley meaning that I can’t return my full-size trolley without turning it through 180 degrees and trying to stretch the chain to get my money back.

My second pet hate is that supermarket shopping is my job in the family.

Grammath 19th January 2007, 01:04 PM

It is so nice to know that my beloved employers and their competitors are providing you, the customer, with such excellent service.

It would seem that there are a lot of the wrong sort of customers as well. Didn't some shrewd observer of human nature once say "hell is other people"?

If you think they are bad to shop in, try working in one. I did it for two years before moving into a Head Office job, and frankly you couldn't pay me enough (or "incentivise me", to use proper corporate speak) to go back.

megustaleer 19th January 2007, 01:27 PM

(or "incentivise me", to use proper corporate speak) . [/Quote]Now there's something worth ranting about!

On we go with page 4

Momo 19th January 2007, 01:29 PM

... I get very angry with people who find it impossible to walk the trolley back to the parking area for said article. ... [/Quote]That usually stops as soon as they make you pay for it. If you have to leave your pound or 50p in the trolley unless you return it, you won't find an abandoned one anywhere. Guess why you found the ones you have to pay for on the continent first?

Mungus 19th January 2007, 02:07 PM

If you think they are bad to shop in, try working in one. [/Quote]I was once a checkout girl for the much beloved Tesco. This was their Green Street branch in lovely Upton Park, East London. I worked 5pm-8pm, five nights a week to supplement my student grant. This was before the days of scanning items, all that reading and typing prices in was quite demanding, I can tell you! Thinking back, I think I'd have to say it was the most mind-crumblingly boring job I've ever had, and there's been a few.

Hmm... I feel a new thread coming on.

megustaleer 19th January 2007, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Momo

That usually stops as soon as they make you pay for it. If you have to leave your pound or 50p in the trolley unless you return it, you won't find an abandoned one anywhere.[/Quote]I won't use a trolley that I have to 'pay' for. If I have to shop in one of those supermarkets it will only be as an emergency measure, and I will only take a basket...no stocking up, and no impulse buys

lucyb 19th January 2007, 04:14 PM

Rant#1: Sentient computers with a sick sense of humour. You know what I mean...the pc that waits until you've typed a good thousand words and has an 'irrecoverable error' just as you're moving the mouse to the save key. Or the pc that won't boot up properly for you, but will work perfectly when the IT support guy turns up (Not being sexist, just ours happens to be a guy). And it wonders why I poured tea into the keyboard. Sugared tea, of course.

The above wasn't going to be my top rant, but guess what happened when I was about four rants in on my first effort to post on this thread? :grumble:

Supermarket rants: Shop assistants that ignore your query to continue their (non work-related) chat with a colleague. Supermarkets that claim to be open 24 hours. Technically this is true, but it's no good if they don't keep their bl**dy shelves stacked!

Work rants: Having a complaining customer put through to you as a manager because they don't like what they've been told already and then have them be happy when you tell them the same thing. I did an unofficial experiment once...noted down what was said from the start of the call and then when the complaint was escalated to me, I repeated the same advice back word for word, with exactly the same intonation. No problem - the caller actually thanked me for my time.

People who assume the supervisor is going to be male. I used to work in a call-centre where the staff make up was about 8 women to every two men. Most of my team was female, my boss was female and her boss was female. A request to speak to "the man in charge" didn't usually go down well...

Incidentally, David - I wish you'd been my English teacher! You do have a knack of making explanations easily understandable.

I'm wary of passing comments on tracksuited women in supermarkets. As I'm a naturally early riser, I do my weekly shop in the early hours of the morning. I throw on a pair of trakkie bottoms and a sweatshirt, run a brush through my hair and head out. Make up does not play a part in my weekend routine (doesn't play much of a part in my weekday routine either but that's not the point) and I have to admit I probably don't look my best. That's still no excuse for what happened one morning in Tesco. I'm short and usually need help to reach things on the higher shelves. Due to general staff inattentiveness (see Rant #2 above...) I usually just pick the tallest passing shopper and ask them to get it for me. This particular morning I singled out my victim and made a polite request for help. He obviously didn't listen to a word of what I was saying (Yurrlritewthyrpkng?), mumbled "Sorry, luv, I haven't got any change" and sidled off. Since then, I do a final check in the mirror for general signs of vagrancy before I leave.... sigh.

David 19th January 2007, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by lucyb

Incidentally, David - I wish you'd been my English teacher! You do have a knack of making explanations easily understandable.[/Quote]Ta muchly! Nice to see you back around, Lucy - I was thinking only a while back that I was missing your contributions!

Opal 19th January 2007, 05:58 PM

I've got a feeling this is the same thing I complained about last time this thread came up, but... Other drivers. Namely people who...

1. Go below the speed limit on a dual carriageway in the fast lane and make me late for work.

2. Let others out when you're on a roundabout. I don't care if the traffic is moving slowly, it's a roundabout, you don't stop!

3. Drive close behind you when you're going at the speed limit.

4. Drive close behind you when you're speeding.

5. Don't indicate.

6. Don't check their mirrors before pulling out.

7. Check their mirrors, see you and pull out regardless.

8. Slow down to look at a crash on the other side of the road.

9. Aren't looking for the green light when waiting for lights to change, and make the whole queue of traffic wait while they find the right gear.

10. Forget to put their lights on after dusk. No excuse for it, and it's unbelieveably dangerous!!!

Anyway... you can tell I had a few bad drives home this week can't you?

and part 2 of page 4

David 19th January 2007, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Flingo

The solution to your supermarket woes = SHOP ONLINE! Then you don't have to worry about trolleys, viewing other shoppers, opening hours, fighting for tills, etc etc etc! And you avoid all those impulse buys as well![/Quote]Then all you have to worry about is whether they're out of mayonnaise at the warehouse and send you ultra-mouth-incinerating chili sauce instead, to be delivered just as you've lathered up your hair in the shower...

The number of times I find myself cutting someone up, and then getting beeped for it is incredible.[/Quote]Cor! I'd beep and flash you (so to speak) if you cut me up, Flingo! One of my hates! (Since it's you, though, I'll forgive you... ;) )

Flingo 20th January 2007, 12:06 AM

Cor! I'd beep and flash you (so to speak) if you cut me up, Flingo! One of my hates! (Since it's you, though, I'll forgive you... ;) )[/Quote]To clarify, David - I wouldn't cut you or anyone else up if they used their bleedin' indicator!!!!

Adrian 20th January 2007, 07:19 AM

Rather worryingly I found it difficult to come up with anything. All I can offer is Lift Etiquette. Apparently I am now supposed to stay in the lift and hold the doors open for the women so that they can exit before me. I admit it's refreshingly old-fashioned but it just doesn't work. The ones who got on last get off first. if I'm last one in I stand resolutely in front of the doors and get out first.

Even worse are those people (invariably men) who keep the lift doors open whilst they finish their conversation with the person who isn't getting on the lift.

And finally those people who run towards a closing lift and shout "Hold the lift!" No please equals no door open button. It's all in the timing but it's best if you pretend to be pressing the door open button whilst surreptitiously pressing the door close button and they just miss it.

lucyb 20th January 2007, 08:48 AM

Should we ever wind up on the same continent Adrian,I won't shout at you for not holding the lift doors open for me as I leave.

I have to admit that the omission of the word 'please' at the end of any request really bugs me. Thanks largely to my parents, I don't think I could ask for anything without saying 'please' - it would be like having an itch I couldn't scratch. It's just common courtesy. I think you're being very tolerant just not pressing the hold button, Adrian - I think I'd go for the one that closes the doors earlier! :rant:

Mungus 20th January 2007, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by lucyb

Shop assistants that ignore your query to continue their (non work-related) chat with a colleague.

Worse than that are shop assistants who stop serving you to answer the phone! Like the person on the other end of the phone is more important than you trying to give them some money! I've walked out of shops because of this before now.

Last edited by Mungus : 20th January 2007 at 11:53 AM.

lucyb 20th January 2007, 10:57 AM

I don't mind so much if they apologise and keep the call short, or ask the caller to hold, but when they just ignore you and answer the phone......I'd be walking out with you. Especially if the call turned out to be personal!

Page 5 of the original thread - part 1

Stokos 20th January 2007, 01:59 PM

Worse than that are shop assistants who stop serving you to answer the phone! Like the person on the other end of the phone is more important than you trying to give them some money! I've walked out of shops because of this before now.

I hate that with a passion.

Walk out every time and do it very loudly, preferably with the manager and lots of customers in earshot.

Better still reach over an disconnect the call....... oh now I have a new goal in life.

Its doesn't make any difference but you feel better.

Momo 20th January 2007, 02:05 PM

*Sits feeling supercilious about Supermarket rants*

The solution to your supermarket woes = SHOP ONLINE!.

If only I could. Online supermarkets are not available over here. :(

Anyway, since someone mentioned cars. The thing that annoys me most is when I see people with children in their car and they are 1. not strapped in because they are 2. not in their car seats because they 3. climb around on the back or "in" the little spot behind the back window. If people cannot make sure their children are safe, they shouldn't be allowed to have children!

Sorry, but this really is annoying.

minxminnie 28th January 2007, 12:26 PM

:rant: As I said on the gadget thread a couple of weeks ago, I bought a hard disc recorder thing for my TV in Sainbury's sale.

I loved it for ten days, then it started to have a bit of a breakdown every time I tried to use the programme guide. The whole box would freeze, and I would need to unplug it.

So, I took it back. I got a replacement, and would you believe, it was a used one! Someone else's return had been put back out on the shelf!!

(I could tell since the items weren't packaged properly, the batteries were in the remote etc.)

I took it back and waited ages for a manager to arrive. He could barely be bothered to apologise, and gave me a refund, but nothing for all the time and petrol I had wasted. (It wasn't my local store.)

:mad:

David 28th January 2007, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by minxminnie

:rant: As I said on the gadget thread a couple of weeks ago, I bought a hard disc recorder thing for my TV in Sainbury's sale.

Not a Digifusion one by any chance? Mine would be useful for throwing at the office windows at Digifusion HQ, but beyond that...

minxminnie 28th January 2007, 08:02 PM

Not a Digifusion one by any chance? Mine would be useful for throwing at the office windows at Digifusion HQ, but beyond that...

No, it was Sony, believe it or not. So, Digifusion's to be avoided, then?

I was in Asda today, and they were selling one for £80 by "Duel" or something. I resisted. Why are they all made by unknown companies?

Incidentally, I may have to visit this thread more often, just for the fun of the "rant" smilie!

And Page 5 Part 2

tagesmann 28th January 2007, 09:28 PM

That's the make that What Hi-Fi Sound & Vision recommend. I always worried that reviews don't take account of how well kit lasts.

David 28th January 2007, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by tagesmann

That's the make that What Hi-Fi Sound & Vision recommend.

:eek:

You're joking?! Well, I'm astounded. Here's the link to Digitalspy's online forum about the FVRT100, which is the model I bought.

Digitalspy on Digifusion

Some people liked it, but the common faults are outlined, not least the under-powered adaptor that blows. They've now rectified that problem, but it took me a lot of research to find out about it. Did they know about this at Curry's, Comet etc.? No. All they wanted to do is sell me a new digi-box. As for Curry's Partsmaster, from whom I tried to order a replacement adaptor...don't get me started! Still, the problems with freezing are the ones that have continued.

It is truly bizarre that there are so few familiar, big brands who manufacture Freeview boxes. A friend suggested this was because they would only be for the UK market, so not worth the investment for multi-nationals. I don't know how true this is, but I do regret buying Digifusion.

The response by the guy in Comet, by the way (four months ago) was "Digifusion? Never heard of them, mate." He promptly went on to try to sell me a Humax box.

Humax? Never heard of them, mate.

Mungus 29th January 2007, 08:38 AM

Our first digibox used to freeze quite often, you'd have to pull the power supply out of the back to get it to restart. The one we have now doesn't freeze but the program guide often just says 'No Event Information' so you can't scroll up and down the channels to see what's on and what's coming up. Does anyone else get this? We don't know whether it's down to a poor signal (although the box says we have good signal strength) or a dodgy box.

tagesmann 29th January 2007, 08:58 AM

I had an ON Digital box made by Nokia and it would freeze regularly. As the standby button no longer worked I would have to power it off and on to clear the fault. I finally got fed up and bought a cheap (and a lot smaller) replacement from Sainsbury. £25 well spent.

Bill 30th January 2007, 12:57 AM

I'm a WH-FS&V subscriber and must defend them here. The one thing they can't possibly test for is durability, and to be fair, Which? (which does, on a longer term basis) also recommended the Digifusion. I bought one for someone, who loved it until it froze and died a few months later.

The response by the guy in Comet, by the way (four months ago) was "Digifusion? Never heard of them, mate." He promptly went on to try to sell me a Humax box.

Humax? Never heard of them, mate.

I HAVE heard of Humax and they are a very well-respected brand. Their PVR9200T got 5 stars from WH-FS&V, as did TVOnics (not heard of them) with their DVR-150, which has just come out and which you can buy in Tesco's, apparently.

(The above both being Freeview hard drive recorders.)

David 30th January 2007, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bill

I HAVE heard of Humax and they are a very well-respected brand.

Well, I exaggerated slightly for the sake of the response, which was meant more as a jibe at the ignorance of a salesman who's supposed to know about these things than at Humax. Also in irritation that instead of attempting to help me with the situation he was intent on selling me a whole new box at around £200.

Mind you, I'd only come across Humax as I searched around trying to find an alternative to Digifusion. If you read magazines about the subject clearly you'll know about them, but I seriously doubt they have wide brand recognition. My amazement is that the big companies haven't sailed on this particular boat and I wondered why. Have the magazines given a reason for this? Not that the size of the company is any guarantee of reliability, of course, as my various dodgy Sony buys will testify.

MarkC 30th January 2007, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Opal

Drive close behind you when you're going at the speed limit.

Drive close behind you when you're speeding.

I wont drive close behind someone whether they are under, at or over the speed limit. However if they are in the right hand lane and the left hand lane is empty and they are going slower than I want to go, I will give them a mile or so to pull over then undertake them rather than drive on their bumper.

Bad lane discipline is my favourite driving rant. Not pulling over to the left when there is space, even if you are exceeding the speed limit, should be an automatic ban, like exceeding the speed limit by 30mph or more is. That might encourage people to learn proper lane discipline . :P

On the way back from London the other weekend as I was going through Reading I pulled out to let someone join from the junction I was passing. As I was going to pull back in again they moved into the middle lane behind me. Not to overtake. Just to be in the middle lane. They stayed there all the way to the M5 interchange at Bristol - about 80 miles - irrespective of the amount of traffic in the inside lane (often none).

megustaleer 30th January 2007, 11:25 AM

a salesman who's supposed to know about these things

Oh, you sweet, innocent, old-fashioned boy, you! :D

and the last part of page 5

David 30th January 2007, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by megustaleer

Oh, you sweet, innocent, old-fashioned boy, you! :D

:D

I know...it's touching, isn't it? Still, in my defence he wasn't of the spotty, lank-haired, just-got-his-one-GCSE-in-media-studies type. He was of the middle-aged, beer-bellied and bearded type, and they can actually be quite knowledgeable...sometimes! ;)

Actually, I was even more annoyed by the 'local' independent audio-visual outlet and it's well-into-middle-age proprietor. When the adaptor plug blew (as they nearly all did on those models for a year or so because Digifusion supplied the box with underpowered versions) I took the box to this store and asked if he could help me buy a replacement. He was brusque to the point of being rude and his whole manner suggested he wanted me out of the shop as soon as possible. It was only later when I thought about it that I realised he probably assumed I was a burglar, since when DVD players etc. are stolen the thief often leaves the plug in situ because it would take too long to extricate it from the usual bundle of wiring.

So much for your friendly neighbourhood independent!

Momo 30th January 2007, 04:46 PM

Drive close behind you when you're going at the speed limit.

Drive close behind you when you're speeding.

I wont drive close behind someone whether they are under, at or over the speed limit.

Sometimes that's unavoidable. Especially when you leave some space between you and the next car and then some kind of jerk (that's the mildest word I could think of) overtakes you and gets into your security gap!!!

:yikes:

Page 6 – I think this is the rest, if anybody finds something after post 90, please, add

This is retrieved on 1 Feb, so “yesterday” probably means “31 Jan 2007”

nospacesallowed 30th January 2007, 06:18 PM

What rhymes with 'orange' ?

---------------------------------------------------------------

nospacesallowed 30th January 2007, 07:10 PM

A chair; because a vest has no sleeves :thinking:

megustaleer 30th January 2007, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by nospacesallowed

What rhymes with 'orange' ? [,quote]

A chair; because a vest has no sleeves :thinking:

Are you in the right thread?

tagesmann 30th January 2007, 07:49 PM

Anyway... you can tell I had a few bad drives home this week can't you?

Bad lane discipline is my favourite driving rant.

I agree with all of Opal's rants. I am very particular about observing the speed limit in built-up areas (less so on dual carriageways and motorways). If people drive too close behind me I just slow down. But I am afraid I do undertake if people don't observe lane discipline. My pet hate is people who drive at 40mph in a 30mph zone and continue to do so when the limit changes to sixty, and people who drive at 40mph in a 60mph zone (where overtaking is not possible or prohibited) and the continue to do so when the limit drops to 30mph. :banghead:

nospacesallowed 30th January 2007, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by megustaleer

Are you in the right thread?

OMG!!!!........YES!

minxminnie 30th January 2007, 08:08 PM

Bad lane discipline is my favourite driving rant. Not pulling over to the left when there is space, even if you are exceeding the speed limit, should be an automatic ban, like exceeding the speed limit by 30mph or more is. That might encourage people to learn proper lane discipline .

I'm right with you, Mark. I hate this! It happens a lot on the motorway near me. I even remember a colleague telling me the junction where she had to "get over into the inside lane" if she was going to her mum's, so she could exit the motorway. :banghead:

Part 2 of Page 6

Momo 30th January 2007, 10:09 PM

My pet hate is people who drive at 40mph in a 30mph zone and continue to do so when the limit changes to sixty, and people who drive at 40mph in a 60mph zone (where overtaking is not possible or prohibited) and the continue to do so when the limit drops to 30mph. :banghead:

So true. Maybe they have cars that can only drive at a certain speed.

They like that on the motorway. First they overtake you in a building zone where you stick to the limit, then they crawl in front of you when they could be driving at a higher speed.

@nospacesallowed? Could you explain the link between your joke and this thread? And, if you're already at it, maybe you can explain the joke, too??? :thinking:

Hazel Yesterday, 09:35 AM

@nospacesallowed? Could you explain the link between your joke and this thread? And, if you're already at it, maybe you can explain the joke, too??? :thinking:

Maybe he hates surreal jokes?

Momo Yesterday, 12:07 PM

Maybe he hates surreal jokes?

Possible.

MarkC Yesterday, 02:01 PM

My pet hate is people who drive at 40mph in a 30mph zone and continue to do so when the limit changes to sixty, and people who drive at 40mph in a 60mph zone (where overtaking is not possible or prohibited) and the continue to do so when the limit drops to 30mph. :banghead:

I was going to ask if you lived near me, then I saw "South Yorkshire" as your location. The road between Clevedon and Portishead is a perfect example of this behaviour - it has two villages on it which have 30 limits, rest is NSL but with limited safe passing opportunities and the number of people that maintain a steady 40 the whole way is scary.

And the absolutely last part of page 6 - I replaced the smilies in the quotes with the words they stand for, so these posts would fit into one.

nospacesallowed Yesterday, 04:08 PM

nospacesallowed? Could you explain the link between your joke and this thread? And, if you're already at it, maybe you can explain the joke, too??? -thinking-

Oh, I don't know why I did it in this thread and the joke actually doesn't have a meaning, that is why it's so funny

Munugs Yesterday, 07:33 PM

If people drive too close behind me I just slow down. But I am afraid I do undertake if people don't observe lane discipline. My pet hate is people who drive at 40mph in a 30mph zone and continue to do so when the limit changes to sixty -banghead-

Tagesmann for Prime Minister! :D

tagesmann Yesterday, 08:37 PM

Tagesmann for Prime Minister! –grin-

While I would never want, or put myself forward for, such an important position; it would be remiss of me to ignore the wishes of such an enlightened and forward-thinking member of the electorate. ;)

nospacesallowed Yesterday, 09:04 PM

While I would never want, or put myself forward for, such an important position; it would be remiss of me to ignore the wishes of such an enlightened and forward-thinking member of the electorate. –wink-

I think we should have a vote for Presidency of Anything But Books...should I make 'The 2007 ABB Elections' Thread.

Momo Yesterday, 10:16 PM

Oh, I don't know why I did it in this thread and the joke actually doesn't have a meaning, that is why it's so funny

Aaah!

confused0019.gif :speechles

Picking up from my earlier rant about supermarkets and people's aisle habits, an anecdote from the other day...

In the Sanisbury's dairy aisle, picture a stationary woman with her trolley on one side, then another woman with her own trolley on the other at exactly the same point. This means there is just enough room in between the two for you to go through with your own trolley.

Fair enough.

Third woman then goes to the gap, pushes her trolley through so that it is nearly out the other side, then leaves it there to have a casual browse of the products. Her trolley has now perfectly plugged the sole gap while she's having a good old rummage nowhere near it.

I stand in disbelief, but then one of the women at the side moves on and I can negotiate a way round, but at my noise of disapproval gap-plug woman gives me a look as if I'm some shopping Nazi.

WHAT GOES THROUGH THESE PEOPLE'S MINDS? Does it not even REMOTELY strike them that they are being shockingly inconsiderate? Are they in such a dreamworld that nothing registers, or do they really believe the whole world should stop so they can do exactly what they want to do, since moving their own trolley to the side would just be such an imposition, wouldn't it?!

I... :mad:

I... :angry:

I... :rant:

I need to go and lie down...

In the Sanisbury's dairy aisle, picture a stationary woman with her trolley on one side, then another woman with her own trolley on the other at exactly the same point. This means there is just enough room in between the two for you to go through with your own trolley.
And you weren't on your knees because they left space between it rather than standing between their two trolleys talking about their grandchildren's latest conquests?

:rolleyes:

(BTW, I know exactly what you mean!)

Do you know that there was a pregnant lady whose child is at the same school as my eldest, who was smoking every day? She recently had her baby and just now in the playground I overheard her complaining that the doctor has prescribed her baby some medication and she is horrified at the the thought of giving this 3 week old baby medicine. This lady smoked every day of her pregnancy and she is worried about medicine! Do these people have blinkers on? :mad:

Yes, Hazel, this really is shocking. I once heard someone mention that it was even worse for the baby if you stopped smoking all of a sudden only because you were pregnant. This is quite a while ago and I thought those kind of people were extinct. But I was wrong, stupidity never dies.

Do you know that there was a pregnant lady whose child is at the same school as my eldest, who was smoking every day? She recently had her baby and just now in the playground I overheard her complaining that the doctor has prescribed her baby some medication and she is horrified at the the thought of giving this 3 week old baby medicine. This lady smoked every day of her pregnancy and she is worried about medicine! Do these people have blinkers on? :mad:

Was the dr prescribing nicotine-replacement medicine?! Poor baby probably needs it.

Definitely a case of out of sight, out of mind! although you'd think the large bump that was making her uncomfortable would be reminder enough!

I have a subscription to Setanta / NASN, soley for the purpose of watching the NASCAR races (I guess someone thinks all the baseball they show is interesting, but I'm not that person). They show the Nextel Cup races live on NASN2 which co-exists on the Setanta Ireland channel, normally all well and good. However since it is an Ireland channel there are some things they broadcast on it where they only have rights for Ireland (ie Formula 1 and some football, where other UK broadcasters have the UK rights), so the channel vanishes for UK viewers during those times. Not normally a problem.

Last night I was watching the race from Martinsville which started at 7pm UK time and following some accidents and a lengthy stoppage due to rain (as well as not turning right they also don't run in the rain) still had 75 laps to go at 11pm when the next programme was due to start. It just vanished without warning, I was not impressed :(. Apparently the next programme was Ireland only so they simply cut the feed to the UK while the event was still running!

Not happy :mad:. In fact I'm even going to complain!

Oh it's been a while since I've had one of my regular supermarket rants (why do these places annoy me so...? Ah yes, because people use them.)

Anyway, as an entrée (don't think I've done this one), checkout operatives who swipe and deal with your card and then just sit there holding it while the receipt is unfurling from their machine, which they then fold elegantly before returning the gift-wrapped bundle to my hand. Why not just give me the card? Then I can put it away in my wallet and be ready to walk away with my shopping when I get the receipt instead of holding up the hapless shopper behind me. Instead I now have to disentangle my card from the receipt and then get rid of the receipt so my hands are free to replace the card in the wallet. It's just stupid and pointless and doubtless trained into their very fibre by the marketing morons who believe we would rather have a neat little till bundle.

Main Course

Shopping in M&S I arrived at the checkout pleased to see just one woman in front of me. Moving down the very narrow checkout aisle I nearly trip over a full basket on the floor. I'm in the middle of looking down to assess what's going on when a woman says, "Excuse me," and sidles past to pick up her basket and unload it onto the belt.

She was dressed very much in the trendy eco-concerned fashion. The sort of middle class eco concern that would recycle everything, buy only fair-trade goods that are ecologically sourced, and would pile the shopping into the 4X4, which is just vital for the school run to keep Tarquin and Sadie safe, ready for their three flights a year to Klosters for all that fresh mountain air.

Why do people feel entitled to stick a basket down and carry on shopping whilst people like me have the fanciful notion that you queue when you've finished? It irked me particularly since I'd got in a queue myself a minute earlier and realised I'd forgotten something, so left the queue to fetch it. I didn't plant a spurious flag of rights at the checkout like some Russian sub in the Arctic.

Dessert

Daydreaming woman in Sainsbury's throws two items in the middle of an otherwise empty belt whilst shopper in front is dealing with the last few items at the till. She splays herself along the side of the belt so I can do no more than put a couple of items from my groaning basket at the tip of the belt. She remains oblivious to the fact that this is deeply anti-social.

Why don't I just remove a chicken from my basket to slap these people round the heads? I mean obviously by all human standards I would be entitled to do so, wouldn't I? Frankly it's what they deserve....

David's Supermarket Travails Vol. V will be available in all bad bookstores from the end of the month.

Has anyone else noticed that it is becoming more and more common for people to not say thank you to the thoughtful person (i.e. me) who has held a door open for you? (This is along the same lines as pulling over in your car so an oncoming vehicle can get through only for the driver of said vehicle to not even slightly acknlwledge your kindness). I was at the supermarket the other day and was kind enough to hold the door open for a lovely elderly lady behind me, she said thank you and I felt good, albeit temporarily. Then before I could let go of the door 4 more people went through and not one - yes, that's right, not one - thanked me!

I am bound to get myself in trouble one day as I am known to shout after the impolite offenders, "That's No Problem, anytime". Grrr........

:rant::angry:

I'm not even going to mention the work colleague who obviously does not believe I have a bad back as I have no outward physical signs of pain (I had surgery 18 months ago and according to this "lovely" man I should be cured and therefore not be experiencing any more twinges etc.). i am currently off work as I am unable to sit properly and I will get some smart arse comments from him when I return, he sickenly (pardon the pun) has only taken 2 days off sick in the last 3 years (lucky him is all I can say!). Still, I'm not going to mention him so I won't :rolleyes:

David's Supermarket Travails Vol. V will be available in all bad bookstores from the end of the month.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

And what makes your 'rant' so funny? It is all so very true. And I hate those people too.

And another thing. What about the sales person/service provider/whatever in a shop or bank who, just as you get to the head of the gueue, picks up the receiver of a ringing telephone and deals with that customer first before you! Grrrr

I'd like to send a message to the person(s) who stole two bottles of milk from my doorstep this morning to please think of the gene pool, and to remove yourselves from it. Thank you.

:mad: