Sign in to follow this  
Krey20

JPod

Cathy

Subscriber and Permanent Resident

JPod

Has anyone read this yet?

It was reviewed on Newsnight review on Friday (run to the hills!!!). Lionel Shriver (who I'm not a fan of) said 'Its so pre-9/11'... which makes me defensive and want to go straight out and buy it!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

katrina

Permanent Resident

Not read it or heard of it, who wrote it?? And why do some authors feel that everything has to reflect 9/11? It was a huge event and changed the world for sure but not everything has to refer to it

Cathy

Its by Douglas Coupland. I'm a big fan though I haven't loved everything so I can't really defend it before I've read it.

Yeah I thought that comment was really weird. Maybe after I get hold of it that will make more sense. I can't think what being 'so pre 9/11' even really means because we didn't know we were being pre-9/11 till it happened...

angel

Subscriber

I haven't read it, but I remember it got a good review, when Douglas Coupland was interviewed on Radio 4 (I think it was Front Row June 1st). I took note because our youngest daughter and her boyfriend are big fans. What came strongly from the interview was that he writes for the present climate and that although he felt Generation X, depicting the 'whatever' geration - comfortable, Twenty-something sons and daughters of post-war parents - was apt when written, he would not write that now.

He talked about how, as a writer, he used to spend hours in the reference section of his library, but that, now of course most people use google. He said 'Jpod' is about our present twenty-something googlers.

I was intrigued by the pages of prime numbers where one has to find the one non-prime and other similar tests (I don't think this needs a spoiler as he talked openly about the puzzles).

Cathy

That sounds really interesting, about what he's trying to capture. I'm not sure I can be bothered with puzzles though! I'm re-reading Generation X right now partly because of seeing this new book reviewed and partly because its one of my favourite books. I wonder why if he's addressing more up-to-date stuff Shriver found it dated?

Mungus

Subscriber

The reviews I read seemed to describe it as an updated but very similar story to Generation X, which I haven't read and I think might now be dated. I don't think either reviewer was impressed - I read The Guardian and The Observer - and I haven't been inspired to add it to my mental TBR library list.

I've recently read this and was blown away by it. It's the first time I've read anything by Coupland and it definetly won't be the last.

It's basically about a few people working in the computer industry that like their job but find it too easy so they invent increasingly strange activities and habits to distract themselves from their work. I think that's why I connected wth it so much.

Coupland writing matches my own sense of humour, he basically communicates in various degrees is sarcasm.

Undoubtly, people will say that Coupland is making a serious social statement, which is true. It's about clever people wasting their talents. Having said that, this element can be ignored if you just want to be entertained.

If you are easily annoyed by puzzles, wordplay and "page wasting" gimmicks, this book will drive you crazy.

Douglas Coupland ia great writer and this time he even makes an appearance in his own book.

Jpod revolves around a central character and his close friends and family. Whilst the main character works in software (not a great departure for Coupland) its the side stories that make this particularly interesting. If you've never read Coupland before then you will find the layout of his books unusual - I don't see it as "page wasting gimmicks" but think it reflects Coupland's art combining with his writing - make up your own mind

Im a massive fan of Coupland, and i almost forgot this book was out - i need to check it out!

Girlfriend in a coma blew my mind, as did Hey Nostrodamus. the latter hit me more personally, ive read it numerous times - cant recommend it highly enough if you like his stuff.

I remember reading Life after God - a book of short stories first of all, and vividly remember crying on the train reading it! Girlfriend.. and ..Nostrodamus also had me blubbing like a baby. Any writer who has the power to do that I always love. I agree that not all of his novels have the same effect, but look forward to reading J pod.

it's not my fave coupland book by any means, but still worthy of investigation.

when it's funny it's very funny, and when it isn't... zzzzzz!

POND

Just finished JPod, very enjoyable, although not my fave Coupland. Didnt have much of an emotional impact, like a lot of his other novels. Still I would recommend it, very imaginative, very funny, and classic Coupland. The idea at the end was absolute genius I must admit!! One of those great ideas you can definitely see happening in the future!

just started Eleanor Rigby!

peace

Thanks for posting that soundsofibis.

I look forward to seeing your thoughts on Eleanor Rigby. There isn't a thread for that, yet, so perhaps you could start one when you have read it...if no-one's beaten you to it :rolleyes:

Just re-read this, and I still absolutely love it!

I especially enjoy Coupland's own little cameos in it, and the way he satirises the way some of his past work is now seen.

I agree doesn't have the emotional impact of some of his other books, but his wit is sharper for it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Cathy
      Having come back to this book that I haven't read in ages , its interesting to realise the thing I thought was just the coolest when I was about 17 is maybe not as cool any more! (oh so true for lots of things!)

I like the 'vibe' of the book, I generally sympathise with the feelings it encapsulates and the desire to just chuck it all in and run away to the desert (or camping near Loch Lomond or wherever...) and not to be a blind consumer. But coming back to it, the stories they tell to each other seem a bit cheesy.

Having said that, I'm not reading 'Life after God' by the same author, its very similar (the same sort of idea, but plus relationship and child, so far) but I much prefer Generation X.

I suppose I'm not in generation X anyway, I don't know what we are now...what do you reckon? Post generation X...
    • By Krey20
      Bill is wise,
      Bill is kind,
      Bill is benevolent.
      Bill, be my friend... please!

The premise of Microserfs is that if you work in a large corporation like Microsoft, you can work as hard as you can, you can put as much effort in than is humanly possible but you'll never be a rich and powerful as Bill (Gates).

Dan is a small cog in the Microsoft machine, he tests computer code looking for bugs, he's reasonably paid and likes his job because it's all he has. He's surrounded by people exactly like himself. They all proudly proclaim themselves to be geeks. They are well educated and their whole life is work.

Large corporations like Microsoft collect all of these twenty-something people together, put them in a stifling atmosphere and let them fade away into their work. The geeks know people have lives, but can never figure out exactly what that means. Some people try to fake having a life, like buying golf clubs or a kayak, but never use them.

For me Microserfs was ultimately about how people feel lost in the modern world, as though they have been cast adrift. Then they have the choice of drifting along, going with the flow, wondering if there is more. Or grasping and clutching at thin air in the off chance that there is something better to be had.

I read this after JPod, another Coupland book that was billed as an updated version of Microserfs, the parallels are clear and I definitely related to JPod a lot more. Microserfs had dated a bit, but the humanity remains at it's core as does it's sarcastic humour, which really appeals to me.

Overall I found this book to be quite uplifting. Like most of the characters in this book, I'm early to mid-twenties, searching for a way to break the Work/sleep rhythm that seems to override my life. Uncertainty is everywhere and answers are elusive. The strength of this book is that almost everybody has felt this detachment in their own lives, no matter how dated the setting is Microserfs will uplift anyone who feels lost, searching for a life... whatever that is.
    • By Mouse
      Having read most of his recent books, I have gone back to some of Douglas Coupland's earlier works. Shampoo Planet covers familiar subjects - consumerism, complex family relationships and the future. There are some brilliant lines - let's just hope we accidentally build god - and the ending is a fantastic set piece combining the mundane and the bizarre, where the animal menagerie from the flat above gradually falls through a hole in the ceiling (made by the indoor carp pond).
    • By Krey20
      WOW!

I could just leave it at that instead of blathering on because it sums things up nicely.
      Firstly this is a different Douglas Coupland novel. It isn't "technology based" like his better known books (at least to me) such as Microserfs and most recently JPod. This is a study of loneliness, and what makes life worth living for someone who feels that everything has passed them by.
      The story is told through Liz, a chubby, red-haired, self proclaimed spinster. She stumbles through her life resentful of it's emptiness, until one day the phone rings and events collide to introduce her to the grown-up son she's never met.

Douglas Coupland has created a character in Liz that I wish I could befriend. She is part of a Couplandish dysfunctional family. Written with charm, warmth and biting cynicism. The story unfolds gently, the reader discovers the characters while the characters discover one another.

I've said it here before, Coupland is still the only author to make me laugh and cry within the same sentence. The story isn't laden with morality, isn't loaded with lessons it's a story about people. One of the defining things about Coupland's writing, for me, is that he's brave enough to let you draw your own conclusions from what he writes. It's not all neatly tied up, you might not get the whole story but you get to experience a small part of, what seems to me, a vivid depiction of life and the beauty that is there if you're prepared to look.

This book feels so personal because it tackles a universal theme. Everyone has experienced loneliness in their life-time. Everyone can relate to Liz. You might find yourself pitying her, you might like to wish her happiness, she and her family might really annoy you in parts but Coupland lets you understand his characters so well.

This is probably the most accessible Coupland book I've read so far, it's appeal is wider than his other titles. I've loved them all apart from - Life after God - it was too experimental in it's format, for me, but I still enjoyed his voice which soaks into every letter of his books, a voice which I'm increasingly growing to love.
    • By Krey20
      This book is about friendship and that rare occasion when you become friends with someone you never really noticed before, by complete accident.

Bethany is a stroppy goth. Roger is a forty-something alcoholic, no-hoper.

One day Bethany discovers a diary/novel in the canteen where they both work (A Staples, a large office supplies superstore). At first she is outraged about the things he has written about her, but then she begins to reply.
      Their story is told through correspondence, while Rogers book is also included in excerpts as he uses Bethany as a sounding board for it.

I really enjoyed this one, Coupland's characterisation is always top notch. He creates people that are damaged but you're still able to relate to them.
      It was refreshing to read a Coupland book featuring written correspondences. He's known for his more technically based stories, but I just found something fulfilling it the format (format is a crap word, but I can't think of a better one).

Overall, Coupland does what he does best, tells a story about universal apathy but manages to show you hope in the little details.
      I love getting to know his characters, and have missed a few after finishing a book. This title didn't have such a strong impact on me but was very enjoyable.