Terry Pratchett - Discworld series.

I've only read a few of them, but I've found that the ones with Death in are so much funnier and easier to get into than the ones without. My favourite's Mort, mainly because of the big part Death plays in it, and its got some of the funniest lines, e.g......'Why is there a cherry on a pole in this drink?'....'Mort realised that, with some difficulty and embarrasment, Death was attempting to wink'.

Discuss...

I've only read a few of them, but I've found that the ones with Death in are so much funnier and easier to get into than the ones without. My favourite's Mort, mainly because of the big part Death plays in it, and its got some of the funniest lines, e.g......'Why is there a cherry on a pole in this drink?'....'Mort realised that, with some difficulty and embarrasment, Death was attempting to wink'.

Discuss...

I too love Pratchett's humour. My introduction was "Weird Sisters". I love the beginning - a take on the opening scene of Macbeth. Cue: Thunder, lightning, witches round a cauldron, "When shall we three meet again?". "Well I can do next Tuesday" comes the reply. So, I like the Witch books. However, I find the humour pushes you back a bit from getting too involved. I feel a bit detached, so I cant read one after the other, I have to have a rest in between.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess there must be getting on for 30 Discworld books by now. The thing that I find so impressive is that the quality of the stories and the way in which they are told, is consistently high. Many of the books have taken a poke at institutions within modern society (newspapers, the music industry, universities, authority figures, politicians), but I always find the incredible, far-fetched, outlandish world in which the stories take place so utterly believable - which is a tremedous achievement for an author with such a regular output.

I don't think (correct me if I'm wrong) that the stories follow on from each other.

I actually think they do! I mean they all work well as stand alone books, and have self contained plots, but I've read all of them and there are things going on in the background.

For example in the City Watch books. The back story behind Sam Vimes is kinda funny, he starts off as a drunk who falls asleep in gutters, and by the end of Night Watch he's a duke and married with a child! And the "romance" between Carrot and Angua is kinda funny, but mostly because of what isn't written if you see what I mean! ;)

The Rincewind books are quite good too, although if anything he's proof that dead doesn't mean you're gone....

I could talk for hours about Discworld, but probably shouldn't, so I'll just say that in my opinion, as long as you're aware you aren't reading books in order it doesn't matter too much, as long as you like them! And I think they're some of the best books I've ever read! :D

• 2 weeks later...

The "watch" books are my favourites. I love Vimes and his sparring with Vetinari. But all the ones set in Uberwald and places like that are cool too. Basically I love everything Terry Pratchett has done except The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic - which I never recommend to anyone as good Discworld books.

Not so much of a surprise Granny, given your name!

I think Granny Weatherwax and Vimes are fantastic characters... I am always delighted to learn that another book is coming out featuring either of them. I wonder how he decides whether to follow up or not. I've liked some of the 'one offs', like Teppic in Pyramids... but like others I suspect he'll never be heard of again... I'm not that bothered that Rincewind has disappeared though!

• 2 weeks later...

Massive fan ,have all his books-luckily my father-in-law is a book rep so I get them all free(but don't tell his boss)! ;)

I tend to go through phases of what's my favourite, witches,watch,death,rincewind-but for a while now it's been the watch ones as I think Night Watch is one of the best books he's written!(along with Good Omens) My best pressie was getting a signed copy(how sad am I :D )

• 1 month later...

I love Terry Pratchett. Death started out as my favourite character, probably because the first book I read by him was Reaperman. It's now changed to Vimes, and I'm sure it'll change again.

I love his kids books as well....well the ones that are kind of still in the discworld. Wee Free Men and A Hatful of Sky are brilliant.

Ok, I want to start reading these books but I am at a loss as to which one to start off with, there are just so many (Which will be great if I like them, because I'll never have to wait for the next one to come out, there are just too many to get through) so anyway can someone recommend what one I should start off with? I'd like to also read them in some sort of order!!

Hope someone can help. :D

Colour of Magic is the first, although someone on here recently said they thought it wasn't as good as some of the later ones. Each book is a self-contained story which can be read in isolation, but there is some character development if you read them in the right order, and it'll help with understanding how Discworld works if you read them in the right order, I suppose.

Start with CoM, and the list of other books by Terry Pratchett at the front will give you the correct reading order.

Oddly enough, I didn't rate Soul Music as highly as most others, but I particularly liked the one about the newspaper indusrty (was in Interesting Times?).

Do you mean The Truth? With William de Worde... I think that was his name.

I really enjoyed that one as well.

I think one of my favourite things about the Discworld series is how he has regular characters who make appearances in most of his books.

I enjoyed Soul Music, but I think one of my fave Susan books is Thief of Time. I think that was the one with the auditors and the death by chocolate (what a way to go). I thought it was a shame in Soul Music that you never got the chance to see if her and the harp player got a chance to have a little romance.

I've only read a few of them, does it matter if you read them in order??

Sequence is not critical IMHO as if you like the books you'll probably end up reading them again anyway.

One of the features of the Discworld series though is that characters reappear, sometimes several books later or in unexpected locations. And of course Cut-My-Own-Throat Dibbler could appear in any crowd scene anywhere. So sometimes it helps to know their back story. On the other hand, I guess it could be nice to discover their initial minor role when you go back to an earlier book (eg LuTze in Night Watch cf Lu Tze in Small Gods).

Unfortunately I can't say from personal experience as I got hooked from the first in the series and have read every one as soon as it came out (in paperback anyway). A new Pratchett is always an immediate purchase.

I've read all of the Discworld books since being introduced to them back in 1998.

The first 3 books are my least favourite's, but I think that's probably due to the fact that I've loved exploring the Disc as I've read more.

The Watch books are my favourites at the moment, but this will change every now and again.

• 1 month later...

Love all the discworld series and I know it was originally meant for younger readers but Hatful of Sky and The Wee Free Men are hilarious! I love the scene when they are in the pub in the scarecrow clothes and, oh well you'll just have to read it yourself if you haven't already.

I have been a fan since The Colour of Magic came out in paperback and devoured each one as it came out. Among my many fave lines are:

'Crivens ya scunner!'

'He's no happy unless he has the wind under his kilt'

'...like the ghosts of beans at bathtime.'

'I aten't dead'

Music with rocks in

Love all the characters, especially Death, the Luggage, Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, The Librarian, Vetinari, Vimes, and, and oh all of them.

I once travelled in the first class compartment of a train to London, not my idea ticket was booked for me, I got some very annoyed and curious looks from the sober suited businessmen seated there, as I giggled and guffawed my way through my Discworld novel. I felt quite sorry for them after a while.

Oh, reminds me, I better get that book back that I lent my nephew, he likes Hatful of Sky too! :D

~ sunny