Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Great Expectations

I've just finished GE : my first Dickens since school, I'm ashamed to say!

I loved a lot of the incidental characters: Wemmick and the Aged Parent, Mrs Joe, the Pocket family. I liked the way that Pip was an unlikeable narrator at times - Dickens got across the idea that Pip was trying to justify his behaviour but we, as readers, shouldn't, which was a more sophisticated narrative technique than I was expecting.

I thoughts bits of the story descended into "action movie" territory, particularly the "chase scene" on the river - not my thing, but that aspect would have attracted some readers and was nicely balanced by emotional and humorous moments. I loved the bit where he goes back to see Joe at the end. And overall, I loved the evocation of place.

It would be nice to try reading a Dickens like that in weekly instalments, as it was meant to be read: I might try another one like that. Maybe Bleak House?

I've just started Mister Pip, so I'm still thinking about GE.

One thing puzzled me. As I remember it, one of the conditions as laid down by Jaggers at the start for the inheritance was that Pip should always go by that name - am I right?

So why does Magwich have no problem with Herbert calling him Handel? And, in fact, why does Dickens bother to have Herbert call him Handel? When he did, my first thought was, oh, disaster - he's supposed to always go by the name of Pip. Then, when Magwich turns up at his London flat, I thought he'd disinherit him when he heard him called Handel. But no, the issue never seems to come up.

Unless I missed something ...

The terms do stipulate that, but since Handel is only a nickname it's not really such an issue, I'd say. In society and all official contexts he's still Mr Pip and so the child who helped Magwitch is preserved in the adult, which is essentially what Magwitch wanted.

In society and all official contexts he's still Mr Pip and so the child who helped Magwitch is preserved in the adult, which is essentially what Magwitch wanted.

Aah. Thanks, David. I just wondered why Dickens had the terms stipulate the name thing in the first place, particularly as it then isn't an issue. But I get the child thing.

GE is my favourite Dickens novel and infact one of my all time favourite books. I didnt really find the coincidences to bad considering that many other books from the period were so blindingly obvious, infact GE had many unforseen twists which made it all the more interesting.

Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Dickens tells an intriguing yarn, creates suspense and amuses us with a range of eccentrics, friendly such as Wemmick or Herbert Pocket, or macabre as with Pumblechook or Jaggers. As in David Copperfield, he gives us strong and often threatening women, like Betsy Trotwood, and here Mrs Joe. Both of these semi-autobiographical novels begin with a shock to a child that reverberates through the rest of the action. Both are seen from the dual child-adult perspective; both belong to the Bildungsroman genre. Both have been repeatedly adapted for stage, screen and radio drama, and yet both have their weaknesses of characterisation and narrative tedium.

Several decades ago it was not unusual to find a Dickens novel as a set text for public examinations. Today this would be unheard of: ‘Too long, Sir!’ ‘Boring, Sir!’ I recall attempting to ‘teach’ Nicholas Nickleby to secondary modern school pupils in the Sixties. Then that now outmoded method of ‘reading around the class’ was still in vogue. The lads enjoyed that and were doubled up laughing as Nickle Arse and Queers went about their business. Those who say they still love Dickens today, are probably thinking of one or more of the excellent BBC adaptations rather than the text of the book itself. Reading a Dickens novel today, except as a Simplified Classics text, is no mean feat.

It has taken me several weeks to get through Great Expectations, reading it in bite-sized pieces, often as a Book at Bedtime treat. That is probably the best and most appropriate method, since like most Victorian novels it was designed for serialisation, which also of course accounts for the repetitiveness and the prolonging of tension by ending each Part on a cliff-hanger. It is not easy for the modern reader to read with the eagerness and innocence of his Victorian counterpart. The sheer thickness of the books and the at times plodding nature of the narrative demand a time and patience that for most of us today is in short supply.

Nevertheless, I am pleased to have made the effort, and was for the most part captivated by the narrative and relished the sheer exuberance of the language, as when Dickens allows Pumblechook or Joe Gargery to indulge in their respective bumbling monologues. True, I got tired of Pip’s continual self-analysis as he expounds on his guilt in rejecting the advances of good friends like Joe, Biddy and, later, the convict Magwitch aka Provis. I cringed, too, at the moral miracles of a converted Miss Havisham, kneeling before Pip. And the fire was an unconvincing contrivance. As for the cooked-up non-serial happy ending, the less said the better.

I really enjoyed this one. Another friend mentioned she prefered Bleak House, like FirelightSpirit but I haven't read that one, will have to put it on my wishlist.

Anyway, I loved the story, don't think I have to mention his style, it's impeccable, as always.

So nice to find this thread. I last read Dickens at school, and wanted to do something about it but never quite managed it. I am now almost at the end of GE on audio narrated by Simon Vance, I'm really enjoying it. I should be ready to try another soon.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Carly
      This is my favourite of Dickens' novels, it's so complex. It's long but if you're thinking of reading Dickens for the first time I don't think you can really go wrong with this novel. The story is complex and intriguing. It's maybe a bit predictable to the modern reader, but at the time readers would have been on tenterhooks, especially as it was published episodically!

I do think the main narrator, Esther is a bit of an old priss, but it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the book. What do other people think? Do you think Esther is a bit two faced or just a wet rag?!
    • By Claire
      I know that Dickens is one of the big names of English literature and all that - but whenever he comes up in conversation the only response I hear is people saying, "I know he's supposed to be good.....but I find him really, really hard going"

I'd love to hear from those who do genuinely enjoy reading him. What are the rest of us missing out on? Why is he such a good read?

Have tastes changed, so he's temporarily out of favour? Anyone else struggle with him?

I tend to get stuck after a couple of pages and give up, I'm afraid. Though somehow, I made it all the way through "Great Expectations" and I really enjoyed it - especially the first half with the convict and the moorland and the grave yard. It was wonderful stuff - so why do I struggle with the rest of his novels so much?
    • By David
      Restored Thread

#1 17th September 2006, 10:32 PM
      Phoebus

I'm going to start reading Little Dorritt in about six weeks. Is anyone interested in reading it with me?

Phoebus

Post Script: Have just realised that I've already asked this in another post but never got around to starting it with anyone...

#2 19th September 2006, 07:01 PM
      Barblue

I am on a Dickens trip at the moment. After getting involved with the Great Expectations thread I feel totally immersed in it. Added to this my local reading group has decided to read Hard Times over the next few weeks. I have also promised myself I will go back to The Old Curiosity Shop if only to look at Nell following some comments made by David recently.

I have never read Little Dorritt but would love to. Provided I can find the time in a few weeks, I will start to read it and watch for any further comments on this thread.

#3 21st September 2006, 06:41 PM
      Phoebus

Thank you Barblue. I'll look forward to reading this with you. Let me know when you're thinking of starting it about two weeks before and I'll try and pace myself to finish the books that I'll be reading in time. PM as well just to make sure that I see your post.

All the best,

Phoebus

#4 1st November 2006, 07:57 AM
      Barblue

You know Phoebus, I really do intend to read Little Dorrit just as soon as I can, but somehow a lot of other books have got in the way lately. I have two reading group reads, one of which is Middlemarch - slightly time consuming - and also some other reads I have committed myself to for various reasons. It looks, at this moment in time, as if I will be making Little Dorrit a New Year's Resolution. Not sure if you want to wait that long, but I thought it only fair to let you know my situation. Many apologies for my tardiness. Barblue

#5 5th November 2006, 12:10 PM
      Phoebus
      No worries Barblue. I've lot of other reads to ge through. Ready when you are !

Phoebus

#6 5th January 2007, 08:13 PM
      Phoebus

I've been moving house in the last couple of weeks so haven't had much time for reading and posting. I started Little Dorrit on New Year's Day and having read a couple hundred pages, I'm loving it. I'll keep you all informed.

Phoebus

#7 5th January 2007, 08:45 PM
      Mungus

Well done, Phoebus. There seems to be a general groundswell of good vibes towards Dickens on the forum at the moment so I'm sure someone will join you soon, especially if you are able to tempt us with an effusive review.

#8 Yesterday, 07:46 PM
      Barblue

Phoebus, I am so sorry that I have not joined you on this exercise. I will try and start it this week, but can't promise anything. Great to know that you are enjoying it though and like Mungus I will be delighted to hear more of your comments in due course.
    • By Jen
      Having been encouraged to read this book by the lively discussion about Dickens that have recently taken place on BGO, I feel I should start a new thread. This seems like an onerous responsibility. How to summarise the plot...? Amazon have this neat one-liner:
      Anyone who has read this book will realise that this is a succinct but woefully deficient summary of this wonderful, complex novel. I'm (very) slowly getting to know Dickens and his work and I'm hoping that others will enter in to discussion on this book to help me appreciate it more. To me, this seemed like a social commentary, rich with minor characters (caricatures?) allowing Dickens to satirise the extremes of the class system of the time. It explores the effect of money, the lack of it and the desire for it on human nature and human relationships. There are also many examinations of the institution of marriage, both good and bad, and the effects that this has on people. Plenty, in fact to exercise the mind. 
      The book itself is 900+ pages and I did find it hard going at times, especially the third of the four books into which it is subdivided. By the end, I was keen to find out how it all worked out (and was nicely surprised by the ending) but I really sat and forced myself to get it finished. This is not to say that I didn't enjoy it, just that long books do take a toll on me personally. I did like the way that all of the loose ends were tied up so neatly (which I understand was required of Victorian authors) and that the goodies generally did well and the baddies got their comeuppance in a number of appropriate and amusing ways. There was a lot of humour running through the book, but a fair dose of cynicism too, not a bad thing.

To summarise, a fantastic read, worth sticking with. I will be attempting more Dickens, but a little light reading will do me fine for now.
    • By tagesmann
      I've just finished listening to an excellent audiobook of this novel that was read by Frederick Davidson. It was unabridged and lasted for 36 hours 13 minutes.
      The narrator handled all of the characters very well even if some of the female characters sounded a bit weak.
      I haven't read any Dickens for a long time. I have problems committing to long works. So I thought I would try an audiobook. Perhaps unsurprisingly, it worked really well. The medium could have been made for Dickens.

This is a fantastic story which I thoroughly enjoyed. It tells the story of David Copperfield (in the first person) from childhood to adulthood.

That summary doesn't do the story justice. The characters (minor and major) and so well imagined that you can't help but believe that they could be real. The villains of the piece are particularly well drawn and believable.
      But what stood out for me was how Dickens used the comedic features of many of the characters. This book is so funny.