Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Subscribe to Book Group Online and have your own avatar!

This Tuesday December 6th is the first anniversary of Book Group Online. This is a time for celebration, a time to look forward as well as back, and back as well as forward, but it is also a time when I have to stump up a considerable sum to pay for the next 12 months! As I have said elsewhere on this board, I have decided to introduce a voluntary subscription system. I must emphasise that this really is purely voluntary. If you want to carry on using Book Group Online for free, that is no problem whatsoever. If you are only an occasional contributor, I certainly wouldn’t expect you to fork out any money to use this site.

However, if you use this forum regularly enough to feel that you would like to make a contribution to its upkeep, then you can for a strictly one-off once in a lifetime fee of £10.

The single perk we can offer subscribers at this time is that you will be permitted to upload your own avatar, ie a small picture to go beside your username. You can also have the word ‘Subscriber’ added to your user title. Other perks may follow in the future, when I’ve thought of some.

To subscribe, you need to access Your Settings, which is in white writing at the top of every page, towards the left hand side. Click on this, then scroll down the Control Panel on the left until you reach Paid Subscriptions three from the bottom. Click on here, and you will open up a new page called Available Subscriptions. The default is $19.00, but if you click the down arrow, you have the option to pay £10 or 15 euros. Choose your option, then click ‘Order’, and then ‘Order Using PayPal’.

You do not have to have a PayPal account to pay by PayPal. Just follow the simple instructions and the rest will be done for you. However, if you do wish to subscribe, but don’t want to pay via PayPal, you can send a cheque instead. Either email me via Contact Us near the top of any page, or send me a PM, and I will give you the details.

All contributions will be received with enormous gratitude, and will go directly towards the running of the site. And once you pay, I will never ask you for money again. Honest.

The moment you subscribe, you are automatically permitted to upload your own avatar. Go back to Your Settings, and the Control Panel on the left-hand side. Click on Edit Avatar. For a non-subscriber, there is nothing to see. For a subscriber, a whole new magic world opens out before you.

You can either upload from your own computer or from an existing website. Photo imaging services like http://www.photobucket.com can do the job, but it may be easiest simply to upload from your own computer. If you need any help, please let me know. Be warned though, the size of the avatar must be 80 by 80 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller), so you may need to use software (Photoshop being the most famous, but they are legion) to bring it down to size.

It doesn' t for me. I wonder what I am doing wrong?

Unfortunately, at the moment of joining us here at BGO, Virginia, you have wandered into a rather spiky current thread. Please have a look around the books threads, maybe even open up threads for books that you know and love and you are sure to meet like-minded book fans.

For a subscriber, a whole new magic world opens out before you.

It doesn' t for me. I wonder what I am doing wrong?

Are you still being told you can't upload an avatar?

I have a vague memory of someone else having this problem. IIRC, it had to do with Bill (the site owner) not having checked on subscriptions recently, and needing a reminder.

Does this ring any bells with anyone else?

Nothing happens on the edit page. ie none of the tabs work. I am wondering if this is because I use an Apple Mac and not a pc. Has anybody else had this problem?

I have an iMac, and it is trouble free, so I doubt if that's the problem

I have checked Virginia's settings, and they are normal, so I'm afraid it's very difficult to know where the problem lies. It sometimes turns out to be that security settings on the computer are set too high.

Just subscribed, Bill. Never used PayPal before, but it seemed to go OK.

Do I need to click on a link to upload an avatar? Don't even have an image in mind, but I guess I can always use a photo from my facebook page.

I notice in another thread that MarkC had a problem uploading an avatar, which was resolved by uploading one from his computer, rather than directly from some online site.

It took me a long time to upload an avatar, partly because I took a long time to choose one, but mainly because I was very ignorant as to what I could do with my computer - and how :o I got the hang of avatars eventually!

So, a simple guide to getting your avatar on your posts.

First of all, download the picture you want onto your own computer (Into the 'pictures' application on your Mac, Virginia - no idea where they go in a pc, sorry leyla)

then resize it to 80x80pixels, using something like http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/, or other resizing tool

then follow the instructions in Your Settings/Edit Avatar/Use Custom Avatar

There are no Generic Avatars.

Hope that helps

:)

Do I need to click on a link to upload an avatar?

If you click on 'Your Settings' in the dark blue band at the top of the page you'll then see 'Edit Avatar' amongst all the other options on the left - you can follow the instructions there.

If you need to alter the size to fit the restictions I find the avatar sizer program from this site works a treat. Thanks for subscribing, leyla!

EDIT: It would appear Mods are like buses...

;)

Virginia123 - you can also 'export' a picture from iPhotos into the 'Pictures' application, resizing it yourself in the process. (Have just tried that myself, which is why my Don Quixote avatar is having a holiday :rolleyes: )

which is why my Don Quixote avatar is having a holiday

Gave me quite a shock! I'm not used to your avatar changing, meg. Actually, it looks a little like a moddy eye staring out to keep tabs on users! ;)

- you can also 'export' a picture from iPhotos into the 'Pictures' application, resizing it yourself in the process.

Thanks for the suggestion. But.....what is the 'Pictures' application? Sorry to be thick about this : I hate being defeated by the computer. I am being singularly unsuccessful with this avatar business so far. I have tried resizing a photo in iPhoto but it won't go small enough. Can't remember your Don quixote, your flying saucer looks rather good.

OK, can you find 'Finder'?

Once you click on that you should get a page up with lots of folders, and an index down the left hand side.

On mine I have 'applications' 'documents' 'movies' 'music' and 'pictures'. Lots of stuff finds its way into 'pictures', I'm not always sure how :o .

If you can find that, I will post the next step for you (only I have to go and cook tea now :sorry: )

Current avatar is a round window in the breakfast restaurant of the 'La Posada Del Mar' restaurant in Denia, overlooking the marina. It's much better full size, as it shows the view.

Make the most of the change, DQ will be back soon ;)

Virginia123, I'm sure I'm being much more dense than you. I tried to upload a photo from my computer and was told it was too large, so I shrunk it down using the avatar shrinking link meg gave in a previous post. Then I entered that into the http:// space on the edit avatar bit in my settings, but to no avail.

If I paste the url of the shrunk photo here, would any clever mod be able to help?

Here it is: http://www.shrinkpictures.com/processed/php6k12Ve_c3PM.jpg

EDIT: Success! Virginia, try the link meg gave in a post on the previous page of this thread. You'll be able to shrink your photos there. Just type 80 in the size box. Then click the resize button, then when you get the question about whether to open or download the file, click download. Then you can go to the 'my settings' and 'edit avatar' bits in bgo, click the last option (I think it's for a customised avatar), and download the photo from your 'recent downloads' file (or equivalent on a Mac).

Current avatar is a round window in the breakfast restaurant of the 'La Posada Del Mar' restaurant in Denia, overlooking the marina. It's much better full size, as it shows the view.

Make the most of the change, DQ will be back soon ;)

I really like the new avatar. It looks like an aeroplane window, only round.

Leyla - are you supposed to be horizontal?