Subscribe to Book Group Online and have your own avatar!

Bill

This Tuesday December 6th is the first anniversary of Book Group Online. This is a time for celebration, a time to look forward as well as back, and back as well as forward, but it is also a time when I have to stump up a considerable sum to pay for the next 12 months! As I have said elsewhere on this board, I have decided to introduce a voluntary subscription system. I must emphasise that this really is purely voluntary. If you want to carry on using Book Group Online for free, that is no problem whatsoever. If you are only an occasional contributor, I certainly wouldn’t expect you to fork out any money to use this site.

However, if you use this forum regularly enough to feel that you would like to make a contribution to its upkeep, then you can for a strictly one-off once in a lifetime fee of £10.

The single perk we can offer subscribers at this time is that you will be permitted to upload your own avatar, ie a small picture to go beside your username. You can also have the word ‘Subscriber’ added to your user title. Other perks may follow in the future, when I’ve thought of some.

To subscribe, you need to access Your Settings, which is in white writing at the top of every page, towards the left hand side. Click on this, then scroll down the Control Panel on the left until you reach Paid Subscriptions three from the bottom. Click on here, and you will open up a new page called Available Subscriptions. The default is $19.00, but if you click the down arrow, you have the option to pay £10 or 15 euros. Choose your option, then click ‘Order’, and then ‘Order Using PayPal’.

You do not have to have a PayPal account to pay by PayPal. Just follow the simple instructions and the rest will be done for you. However, if you do wish to subscribe, but don’t want to pay via PayPal, you can send a cheque instead. Either email me via Contact Us near the top of any page, or send me a PM, and I will give you the details.

All contributions will be received with enormous gratitude, and will go directly towards the running of the site. And once you pay, I will never ask you for money again. Honest.

The moment you subscribe, you are automatically permitted to upload your own avatar. Go back to Your Settings, and the Control Panel on the left-hand side. Click on Edit Avatar. For a non-subscriber, there is nothing to see. For a subscriber, a whole new magic world opens out before you.

You can either upload from your own computer or from an existing website. Photo imaging services like http://www.photobucket.com can do the job, but it may be easiest simply to upload from your own computer. If you need any help, please let me know. Be warned though, the size of the avatar must be 80 by 80 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller), so you may need to use software (Photoshop being the most famous, but they are legion) to bring it down to size.

• 3 years later...

I am so impressed by BGO that I have become a subscriber, although still a very new member. Yesterday I was struggling with Peter Carey's "Theft" and wondering whether to continue. I looked it up on BGO's website and found a v. interesting discussion about it. This explained to me why I was not making any headway, though the book had been given to us by my son-in-law who said it was a great read. The answer is, I think, that 'Theft' is a bloke's book. I liked Oscar & Lucinda, but this one lacks any sort of femininity : now it could be argued that women and men should like the same sort of books - organisers of the Orange prize are criticised for limiting it to women writers - but there are blokish books such as Frederick Forsyth's, Len Deighton's; there are writers of girly books such as Gilly Cooper, Joanna Trollope, and there are writers who appeal equally to men and women : Dickens, Jane Austen (strangely), A.S. Byatt - I guess one could say that first class writers appeal equally to men and women. But Carey on the basis of Theft falls into the bloke's books category. I am not going to continue reading it.

Don't know how to make it smaller.

If you received the message it was too large then it sounds like you were doing everything else right.

In order to reduce the size I use the Avatar Sizer program. I've downloaded it myself (obviously!) and it's got no hidden nasties. It's also very easy to use and free (though they ask for a donation).

Give that a try and if you still have problems post again!

• 2 months later...
Due to the start i have had since becoming a new member i think i will wait until you have earnt my loyalty. Sorry but you scrub my first post, you wait for my subscription...(i do have an avtar in mind but i can wait) :mad:
I hope you are not going to hold a permanent grudge. We can only react to the words as posted, and yours looked like the kind of spam we get on a regular basis.

I guess one could say that first class writers appeal equally to men and women.

True, though we all have our preferences and predilections. Thus I don't especially like Sci-fi or Magic Realism, David doesn't care for historical novels, but I'm sure we'd all take a Dickens or an Austen with us on that mythical desert island.

No grudge held (i'm over it) . Just seemed a bit unfair as i had only just joined and my had post removed. I just thought people would be interested and it was a good way (or so i thought) to introduce myself. At least i know how strict the site is run now.

I hope you are not going to hold a permanent grudge. We can only react to the words as posted, and yours looked like the kind of spam we get on a regular basis.