Comedy Gigs

There's a comedy club at the LSE. We went on a friend's birthday and it was fantastic. A small venue, some may find it too intimate. It's only a tenner and you get free entry to the club downstairs afterwards that's open 'til three and plays banging indie tunes. Highly recommend it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Glad I found this thread, as I was at a gig the other night, and I also have a question for the good people of BGO.

The gig was at the Edinburgh Fringe. I went to see Micky Flanagan, mainly because he's a friend of my sister - she and his other half met at their ante-natal class - so I was curious to see what he's like. It was very observational stuff, all about getting older and coping with fatherhood and stuff. Really funny, though he took a while to get going.

On that subject, my new favourite comedian is Michael McIntyre, who seems to be everywhere just now. He really makes me laugh.

But I wanted to ask: I want to use some stand up for an activity I'm doing at school. Can anyone recommend a comedian who is suitable to show to 12 / 13 year olds? I'm looking for some obervational, personal experience sort of stuff, but it has to have no swearing. All the DVDs I have at home have bad language. Many thanks for any ideas!

I'm not sure they fit the bill as observational humourists, but as far as I can recall Ross Noble, Dave Gorman and Bill Bailey aren't potty mouthed.

Also, it might not be bang up to date, but as a Jew I feel obliged to mention Woody Allen at this point.

Glad I found this thread, as I was at a gig the other night, and I also have a question for the good people of BGO.

The gig was at the Edinburgh Fringe. I went to see Micky Flanagan, mainly because he's a friend of my sister - she and his other half met at their ante-natal class - so I was curious to see what he's like. It was very observational stuff, all about getting older and coping with fatherhood and stuff. Really funny, though he took a while to get going.

On that subject, my new favourite comedian is Michael McIntyre, who seems to be everywhere just now. He really makes me laugh.

But I wanted to ask: I want to use some stand up for an activity I'm doing at school. Can anyone recommend a comedian who is suitable to show to 12 / 13 year olds? I'm looking for some obervational, personal experience sort of stuff, but it has to have no swearing. All the DVDs I have at home have bad language. Many thanks for any ideas!

I would second Bill Bailey and Eddie Izzard could be a possibility. There is some bad language (nothing kids that age wouldnt have heard) but a lot of the sketches contain none.

I was watching some Ross Noble clips on You Tube last night and there wasn't any swearing (as far as I can recall). The bits I saw weren't really observational though, but I'm sure you could while away a pleasant hour finding some stuff that was.

I've got tickets to see Reginald D Hunter in November and then Frankie Boyle next year. Both a bit sweary but very very funny.

I've got tickets to see Reginald D Hunter in November and then Frankie Boyle next year. Both a bit sweary but very very funny.

Yes, a bit sweary!

Have you seen Frankie Boyle live before? We went to see him earlier this year and I was really looking forward to it. I felt he was a major let-down, not half as funny as he thought he was, or as he appears to be on Mock the Week.

I was expecting near-the-knuckle, but there was too much reliance on rape and paedophile jokes for my liking.

My husband runs a venue that does comedy gigs. They had Reginald D Hunter a while back and he was amazing, apparently.

I'm seeing the wonderful Daniel Kitson there in a few weeks. Can't wait.

My husband runs a venue that does comedy gigs. They had Reginald D Hunter a while back and he was amazing, apparently.

I'm seeing the wonderful Daniel Kitson there in a few weeks. Can't wait.

Oh, I've seen him on TV and thought he was very good - really thoughtful and thought-provoking as well as funny.

I heard Rich Hall on the radio at the weekend - he's very funny too.

I'm going to see him fairly soon at the SECC, I'm still excited about it but I'm worried about overkill having seen him on TV so much! Still, his sketch about the 'man drawer' had me laughing so much my belly ached. You could use some of his observational stuff maybe.

A lot of Eddie Izzard is definitely sweary btw!

Oh, I hate him. He forms the modern trinity of crap, along with those two off Mock The Week, Andy Parsons and Russell Howard. As usual, a case of the bland always rising.
Andy Parsons
Argh - his voice drives me crazy and I haven't ever found a single thing he says funny. He just belabours the joke long past the point where it could have, might have been funny. Argh.

I used to like Eddie Izzard, I went to a few of his shows, but I think he kind of just stopped being funny, started taking himself seriously and promptly disappeared up his backside. Now, he barely raises a smile.

Michael McIntyre, I've not seen much of. I think I have seen him on MTW a couple of times but again, his voice irritates me to the point that I can't listen to him.

For happy chuckles, Rich Hall and Bill Hicks will always do it for me. And Billy Connolly pre-globe-trotting escapades.

I used to like Eddie Izzard, I went to a few of his shows, but I think he kind of just stopped being funny, started taking himself seriously and promptly disappeared up his backside. Now, he barely raises a smile.

I was a massive fan of Izzard when he was at the top of his game in the mid-late 90's, but haven't enjoyed much of his stuff since he went all Hollywood on us. That said, his last shows got pretty good reviews and that convinced me to get some tickets to see him at the O2 in December. I'm hoping for a return to form, but to be honest, I fear the worst.

As for the 'modern trinity of crap', I'd swap McIntyre for Jimmy Carr, who is one of the worst stand-ups I can ever remember seeing. He's like a bland, middle-class Jethro - plenty of shock value, but absolutely nothing interesting to say.

As for the 'modern trinity of crap', I'd swap McIntyre for Jimmy Carr, who is one of the worst stand-ups I can ever remember seeing.
Oh no you don't. McIntyre is not getting out of the trinity that easily. There's a special category for Carr on his own, because he's not trying to be a comedian that gets you onside like the others are. (Or not, as their case is.) Arthur Smith gave a nice little quote on Carr, which says that Carr "makes jokes like little clocks. He has no interest in their context or meaning, only that they cause an explosion of laughter. I want a comedian to have a hinterland. The best comedians are interested in jazz, poetry, and the world"

:yup:

I used to love EI too, but I tried to watch one of his DVDs recently, and it was as if he was just going through the motions. I prefer to remember him in his heyday.

Would you count Peter Kaye (Kay?) I watched a show of his with my parents and didn't get embarrassed so that's probably a plus point.

I wanted to go and see Reginald D Hunter but time and place didn't match up for me.

• 7 months later...

We went to see Frankie Boyle in Bristol last night. I love what he does on Mock The Week but was slightly nervous that uncensored by the BBC he'd be more offensive and bullying than edgy. This worry wasn't helped by the furore in the press this week over some of his material about Down's Syndrome children.

Happily, my fears were unfounded, he was very funny. Sure, there was plenty there to take offense at if you chose to but I thought he managed to keep it just the right side of the line. The Down's material wasn't at all bad, only about 5 jokes and more about their parents than the children. The press do like to have something to squak about and it's all good publicity for Frankie.

As with most comedy gigs (not that I go to many) I find that I'm all laughed out after about 45 mins, a reflection on me more than the material offered.

• 3 years later...

A friend posted this article on Facebook.  I love David Sedaris and so I read it.  I thought it was funny, hoped those of you in Edinburgh saw him, and enjoyed that he managed to insult most of us based on where we live:  a little about Edinburgh, a knock on Glasgow, a complaint about the U.K., and then a critical--yet accurate--comment about the visual loveliness of Texas:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/aug/04/david-sedaris-edinburgh-festival-interview

From Binker's link about David Sedaris

In another new story, called Rubbish, he excoriates his Sussex neighbours for what they have done to their countryside, suggesting DNA tests be done on every discarded can and wrapper. Culprits could then be arrested, perhaps shot. A touch extreme? "I don't think so."

:D Maybe this is the answer for all the Litter complaints on Pet Peeves.