Sign in to follow this  
Starry

Comedy Gigs

I just wanted to brag about going to see Ben Elton doing stand-up last night. I was worried it would mostly be gags about having kids, but I shouldn't have because it was his unique blend of political lecture and nob gags. Very, very funny.

So anyone want to make me jealous by bragging about their latest comedy gig? Who did you see? Were they any good?

A few weeks ago I went to my first ever comedy gig - Ross Noble. He was absolutely amazing! I'd seen a few DVDs of him and thought it might be fun to go to, but it was definately worth the money! I'm keeping my eyes open for anyone else who comes up to Nottingham, I'd love to go to more gigs if I can. Top of my list of people to see would be Billy Connolly and Ben Elton. (So I'm feeling very jealous of Starry ;))

"Is there anybody here from...Europe?"

I went to a comedy club regularly when I lived in Belgium (Adam Hills was the worst, Reginald D. Hunter the best). I hated the way most would come out and try to make the audience the act. Why don't stand-up comedians tell jokes? It's a passive medium, I'm there to be entertained, not to have the spotlight on me cos' I'm wearing a yellow shirt and matey-boy thinks he's so funny that a man should wear a yellow shirt.:mad:

Kevin B***** Wilson is the funniest guy I've seen live this year. Catch him tomorrow in Dublin!

I went to a comedy club regularly when I lived in Belgium (Adam Hills was the worst, Reginald D. Hunter the best). I hated the way most would come out and try to make the audience the act. Why don't stand-up comedians tell jokes? It's a passive medium, I'm there to be entertained, not to have the spotlight on me cos' I'm wearing a yellow shirt and matey-boy thinks he's so funny that a man should wear a yellow shirt.

Sounds like the start of your own monologue there..!

I agree though - far too many stand-ups rely on this to pad out their twenty minutes. If you think of it in terms of a lack of material in the first place, it's a handy yardstick for judging a comedian's talent...

I agree though - far too many stand-ups rely on this to pad out their twenty minutes. If you think of it in terms of a lack of material in the first place, it;s a handy yardstick for judging a comedian's talent...

I agree! Last night, there was no audience participation and no heckling, the only person who spoke was the man we had all come to see, the rest of us laughed.

I went to see the very funny Jeff Green back in July and he was supported by a reasonably funny comic and a god-awful local compere, whose act consisted entirely of taking the mick out of the audience. The difference showed in the laughs.

Opal, Billy Connelly is top of my list too, but only in he stops gigging for a while and comes back with some decent material. I'd also love to see Jasper Carrott and Peter Kay

So it was a series of jokes about the aristocracy?

LOL!

Can you can do stand-up these days without finding some way to take the mick out of the Royal Family :)

Apart from going to Jongleurs Comedy Club a few times the only stand-up I've seen has been on DVD. My favourite has to be Lee Evans, his Bohemian Rhapsody sketch was pure genius :D

I saw Ross Noble twice - both times good, perhaps better the first time because his mad random style is a big surprise first time (and he wasn't famous then.

Also saw Dylan Moran about 2 years ago, we were in row 3 which sounded like a good distance (i'm a bit scared of the interaction thing) but the stage turned out to be curved so rows 1 and 2 were just at each end and the first row to go right across the middle was us...and we were right in the middle, approximately 1 metre away from him!! He didn't do any interaction though, thankfully.

I also saw an extradordinary gig by a 70s comedy writer for the BBC, i won't name names in case he turns out to be Bill's best mate or something, but he was very bitter and made a point of saying he was pushed from the bbc rather than jumping and proceeded to make racist jokes and sing a 'folk' song about asylum seekers getting too much money. We left half way through which was a bit embarrassing as i was on work experience at the venue - needless to say I didn't go back!

I'm going to see The League of Gentlemen at Hammersmith Apollo tomorrow night. Not stand-up as such, they have described this show as their panto.

This will be the second time I have seen them, as I saw their Theatre Royal Drury Lane show too. Very funny, and the technical achievement of the three of them moving between costumes etc. so quickly is impressive.

I get to a fair amount of comedy, but then being in London I'm somewhat spoilt for clubs. I find Jongleurs a bit soulless and corporate (I've been to the one in Camden Lock quite a few times); of the big clubs I prefer the Comedy Store. I've also been subjected to some truly awful compèreing at Jongleurs.

I've been to smaller clubs around London too but since I tend to seek these out on the basis I want to see a particular performer, its hard to say if they are normally good or not. They can be uncomfortable, especially in hot weather - basement or upstairs rooms in pubs rarely have enough air conditioning to cope with 100 people being crammed into them. If you want the roar of the greasepaint and the smell of the crowd, however, they can't be beat.

I consume the majority of my stand up on Radio 4 and BBC7. I've been enjoying "The Problem with Adam Bloom", which has just finished on Wednesday nights on R4. David Baddiel also presented the first part of a documentary on Woody Allen's stand up on R4 last night, which contained some superb material.

I went to see the very funny Jeff Green back in July and he was supported by a reasonably funny comic and a god-awful local compere, whose act consisted entirely of taking the mick out of the audience. The difference showed in the laughs.

'It's odd you should say that!' I first met Jeff Green around 1989 when he decided I was the audience member who should be singled out! (I wore a beret in those days, so I probably had it coming...) He ended up staying at the flat of a friend of mine that night (also on the bill) and we hit it off after that. Haven't seen the guy for a while but I worked with him a couple of times a few years back and he was pretty funny then. Of the current crop, I've always liked Milton Jones' take on things, also Stewart Lee and Sean Locke. Cannot share the enthusiasm for Ben Elton, however..!

Milton Jones is truly wonderful - but I never seem to come across anyone else who's ever heard of him. But, in my ignorance, it never occurred to me to think of him as a stand up comedian - I've only heard him on Radio 4.

I also saw an extradordinary gig by a 70s comedy writer for the BBC, i won't name names in case he turns out to be Bill's best mate or something, but he was very bitter and made a point of saying he was pushed from the bbc rather than jumping and proceeded to make racist jokes and sing a 'folk' song about asylum seekers getting too much money. We left half way through which was a bit embarrassing as i was on work experience at the venue - needless to say I didn't go back!

Oh do tell, Cathy! It doesn't sound like anyone I know personally. Was it John Dowie? He's a very bitter and angry man.

:o I don't want to in case he's lurking somewhere and will jump out and start singing again! I believe he lives in Hampshire, if that's any help. I'd never heard of him at the time to don't know what he wrote for. Something rubbish, I hope!

Edited to say: having looked him up, the last things he wrote for were Billy Connelly and Jim Davidson.

Milton Jones is truly wonderful - but I never seem to come across anyone else who's ever heard of him. But, in my ignorance, it never occurred to me to think of him as a stand up comedian - I've only heard him on Radio 4.

If you get the chance to see him live, then do so. Great random humour. He still plays small-ish clubs (such as The Banana - just five minutes from this flat).

"Bought a new game the other day. 'Find Us Fish Fingers'. Opened the box and there they were. They wouldn't give me my money back."

I own a few stand up DVDs - Bill Bailey, Dylan Moran, Lee Evans and the like.

I've not been to a show for years (the closest that I have would be the Reduced Shakespeare Company). I did see Craig Charles (who swore far too much for my liking, and was very abusive towards the audience), Ross Noble (who had us all in stitches) and Rhona Cameron (whose warm-up act was better than her) when I was at university, as well as numerous other acts who never made it "big" and whose names I have forgotten!

I have been enjoying Jeff Green and Adam Bloom on the radio recently, too.

If you get the chance to see him live, then do so. Great random humour. He still plays small-ish clubs (such as The Banana - just five minutes from this flat).

Any clues at all how I might go about doing this?? I tried trawling the internet last night, to see if I could find info on when and where he might be seeable, but came up with a list of two dates, one of which had already passed.

A few weeks ago I went to my first ever comedy gig - Ross Noble. He was absolutely amazing! I'd seen a few DVDs of him and thought it might be fun to go to, but it was definately worth the money! I'm keeping my eyes open for anyone else who comes up to Nottingham, I'd love to go to more gigs if I can. Top of my list of people to see would be Billy Connolly and Ben Elton. (So I'm feeling very jealous of Starry ;))

I was going to see him, but after me and 2 other friends got the tickets we found out you had to be over 18 and so we thought it better we get a refund rather than the chance of us being rejected. I love Ross Noble he is hilarious! I have both his show DVDs and I think he is one of the funniest comediens around,

I was going to see him, but after me and 2 other friends got the tickets we found out you had to be over 18 and so we thought it better we get a refund rather than the chance of us being rejected. I love Ross Noble he is hilarious! I have both his show DVDs and I think he is one of the funniest comediens around,

Awww... Poor you! I wasn't aware you had to be 18 to get into the show - there were a few young (and I mean pre-teen) kids there with parents when I saw him! Maybe it depends on the venue you go to or something like that... :confused:

Any clues at all how I might go about doing this?? I tried trawling the internet last night, to see if I could find info on when and where he might be seeable, but came up with a list of two dates, one of which had already passed.

I'm surprised the fella doesn't have his own website, I must say. A bit lax on the part of his management - Avalon - who usually firebomb every available pocket of media resistance. However, this may be of some use to you for the time being:

http://www.ents24.com/web/artist/7982/Milton+Jones.html

I see the guy's playing my local once more on New Year's Eve. (Sadly I'll not be around to enjoy it..!)

No probs - I note that http://www.miltonjones.com is a site 'under construction', so maybe he's getting his act together for 2006? (In this sense, I mean - he thrives on his act 'not being together' otherwise...)

(Trivia spot: did you know that Mr Jones is a practising Christian? Hard to believe, but he used to go out with a girl I knew and she met him at one of their 'meets'.)

When I was googling for websites yesterday, I did come across a mention of him performing at Greenbelt next year, which is a big Christian arts and culture type festival thingy, so I did wonder.

Maybe Miltonjones.com will be home to a very different miltonjones, who I also found on google.....

(You're right, I really do need to get out more :rolleyes: I'm supposed to be filling in a application form, I'm just very, very easily distracted :rolleyes: )

Way back in the late 80s / early 90s I saw Billy Connolly and Ben Elton (not at the same time!). Both were excellent; both were trying out material for their forthcoming TV series; Ben Elton didn't need to use a microphone, but nevertheless did so, and it's one of only 2 occasions when I have felt pain through the volume being too loud.

You're right, I really do need to get out more :rolleyes: I'm supposed to be filling in a application form, I'm just very, very easily distracted :rolleyes:

It is amazing how much the "having to write that application form" issue gets so many other things done instead - a couple of weeks ago, I did the hoovering (even though it didn't need doing), tidied the spare bedroom and all the drawers (on the computer desk in there) and reorganised my wardrobe to put off the application form!

It's worth it though, when you get offered the job!!!

Chortle has a pretty good nationwide what's on listing for comedy gigs, as well as news of new releases, TV shows and MP3s of various comedians in full flow to download.