Sign in to follow this  
Abbynormal92243

Bookcrossing

I am a member of Bookcrossing too, using the same name as I do on here.

I have registered several books but not released many of them yet. I find it very exciting when I release one however and have made a (mid-year?) resolution to release more. Would love to meet you on this site if you're a member.

Any idea what happened to the Shipping News? It's been more than 3 years and I'm still waiting!!!

Just looking at the Bookcrossing shelf, it looks like it got a lot further along than I thought.

I'm a member. My name is tagesmann there as well.

I regularly join bookrings and bookrays and am in the process of registering some spare books which I plan to release on 0246125748.

Guest Ian

Hi,

Yes I am a member, but have no idea what my details are/were. It was quite addictive and after sorting out loads of books to put into circulation, my wife felt like a widow due to the time I spent deciding how best to get them out there.

One day when I was out at work, she binned everything and I haven't been back since (web-site, not home)

I signed up a year or two back. Put a few books out there and picked up one or two, but somehow I've not had access to anything for ages - or put any more out. My username is 1734GCR - weird I know but it means a lot to me and my family! ;)

There was a small segment about Bookcrossing on Broadcasting House (Radio 4) this morning.

For anyone wanting to find it on Listen Again the piece was on at about 9.30am

I'm a member. Don't often drop a book, nor that much check the site. I'd be more interested in swapping than crossing, but that is an option too now.

I had my first book journalled and am so excited! It was found by someone who hadn't heard of bookcrossing so I had the added bonus of introducing someone to something new.

Great to see that there are more Bookcrossers here. I'v been a member for almost 3 years and released over 1400 book in that time. I don't wild release that much, most of my books are left at three Bookcrossing zones that I manage. It's quite a job keeping the supply going and it's great when others release books there too. It is a real buzz when you get a message to say one of your books has been caught and maybe even a new member. The books leave the coffee shop shelves at a steady rate and the bonus is that you can be reasonably sure someone who actually wanted the book took it. Otherwise they would just have put it back. I'm not too bothered about getting journal enteries, that is just the icing on the cake!

One of the best catches I had was a book left in the coffee shop and taken by an unknown person and left on a cruise ship in the Red Sea, where it was found by an active Greek Bookcrosser who was on the same ship while on her honeymoon. Now that really made my day.

To my shame I still haven't released a book into the wild :o

I guess releasing the first book is probably the hardest? I know my wife would love me to release some books so we don't have to buy more bookshelves but so far it's been tough to actually do it! :)

I guess releasing the first book is probably the hardest?
I must admit I find it quite hard releasing completely wildly - it's a strange feeling wandering off leaving the book behind. I tend to stick to "safe" situations like Bookcrossing Zones and Hotel bookshelves...

I started BookCrossing enthusiastic about the prospect of releasing books into the wild, and seeing where they get to, but after a couple of years of not hearing any more about the further travels of my books I gave up and started to dispose of my surplus in more traditional ways.

This morning, to my amazement, I received an email from Bx notifying me that one of my books has, at last, been 'journalled' .

One I released five years ago.

Obviously I have been too impatient, and gave up too soon. :D

edit:

I have merged the two BookCossing threads, as they cover pretty similar ground.

So, it does work! I've only been on it a couple of years and have yet to hear. I think I've only dropped 3 books though, so must hold breath for a few years.

I've released quite a few books into the wild and had 2 journalled. I also release books by other methods. It is perfectly acceptable to put a BookCrossing ID (BCID) in a book before giving it away to charity or even when selling second-hand via Amazon Marketplace. Mind you I have never had a journal entry from a book released this way.

I think the idea of releasing books into the wild that were just going to be thrown away is a great idea but I now prefer to donate to charity as I doubt that people who don't normally read books will pick up wild releases (which was the original object of BookCrossing) and so someone should benefit from my discards.

My thing with Bookcrossing was that I wouldn't pick up a book if I saw one lying, it would feel dishonest, so I felt odd about leaving them.

I always put one of the official BookCrossing stickers on the book. It is a yellow post-it and says (in big letters) Free Book. I also have some clear plastic bags for winter (and summer!) releases.

I always put one of the official BookCrossing stickers on the book. It is a yellow post-it and says (in big letters) Free Book. I also have some clear plastic bags for winter (and summer!) releases.
Oh, well, that helps! I'd still feel like it was a trick. I am far too cynical for my own good.

A few of my books have been picked up, there is a large entry way in front of our library where I tend to release as I know readers will be going by. Mainly I swap books or RABCK books to other readers

A friend I had years ago did this regularly - long before the internet was so common - although she wouldn't have called it book crossing! What she did was a read a book wherever she happened to be and then left it there because she didn't see the point in carrying a book that she had already read. So, she regularly left books on trains etc and reckoned that if someone else picked it up and read it that was good thing but if it was binned, then it was binned. Needless to say, she never did find out what happened to her books.

I'm with Hazel, if I saw a book lying around I'd assume that somebody had forgotten it and hand it in somewhere in the vain hope that they would come back for it or that it would be donated to charity. If it had a sticker on it I'd make sure that somebody else in the environment got it because I already have more than enough books to read as it is.

I prefer the idea of giving books to charity shops because it's always a donation to the charity (book and the revenue generated from said book, ideal really) and you are more likely that someone will read it. It also provides some kind of choice for the reader of the book. With book crossing it strikes me that the receiver gets to read the book on offer, or not. In a charity shop you get a choice whilst donating to the charity and getting a book out of it (ideal really).

Somewhat wet and windy up here in Scotland for leaving books out in the open, but as I said, my friend left them on trains the vast majority of the time.

I have found a bookcrossing book in a charity shop which I promptly bought, journaled, read and released. I have also had one of my releases found (don't know how it arrived there) and journaled. My own option is the Bookcrossing release zone rather than the charity shop, as a large number of books donated get pulped anyway and some charitys don't like labeled books, it's better to check with them first. I do take books in good condition to Oxfam and Gift Aid them, but only the type that I think won't be popular on a Coffee Shop shelf.