Sign in to follow this  
Abbynormal92243

Bookcrossing

Thank you for all those wanting to join my bookring, all I need to do now is choose a book!

If anyone else wants to join in then you are most welcome. Please note there needn't be a rush to read the book as the idea behind this is the novelty factor, I like to think of my book travelling and would enjoy the journal entrys so please don't be put off by time constraints. I do however appreciate how the TBR pile can get out of hand!

I'm now going to peruse my bookcase for a suitable book, if it’s an awful choice then you are always free to drop out :D

Yes, I think I'm interested - I am on BookCrossing, but I, er, can't remember what I registered as :rolleyes: I'll have to go away and investigate!

Do we all choose a book and send it round at the same time? Or just you? I'm a little unclear what I'm agreeing to, (but as long as it involves books arriving by post, it's got to be a good thing!)

Claire your username is Second-Mouse - I have this from when you sent me Zen :)

The bookring works like this - I pick a book, make a list of members in the ring and post this on my bookcrossing user page. I then send it the first person on the list who should read the book (just incase that part was unclear!!) and journal their thoughts upon completion. They would then need to contact the next person on the list for their address so that the book can be sent on again. If all goes well this should continue down the list where the last person should return the book to me.

Some bookrings seem to have time constraints, for example it is thought each person should have the book for no more than X weeks. I'm not fussed about this but would suggest that if the book is unlikely to ever be read or doesn't appeal to tastes that it should be sent on and not gather too much dust!

It’s a little extravagant maybe but I think its fun - I get the enjoyment of my book travelling and those on the list the nice surprise of a book arriving by post.

This bookring would be for just the one book that I choose but if anyone would like to start another one of their own then I would like to be involved too!

I'm registered on book crossing too and my user name is the same as here.

I actually found it through this site. I use the forum on there for bookrings and book rays and I've joined quite a few. Its always nice to get a book in the post and its a good way of 'borrowing' books.

I had a request from someone when I registered my copy of the Time Travelers Wife that we read in the bookgroup on here. I decided it would be a good idea to start my own bookring from that. My copy has 'travelled' through Scotland, the Netherlands and France so far.

I've made a couple of wild releases but none of them have been picked up - I live in hope!

I'm happy to join your bookring for a surprise read so stick me on your list!

I'm on Bookcrossing, same name as here... only signed up as there was a book being passed around here. Incidentally I still have the Time Traveller's Wife available for a bookcrossing journey if anyone's interested! I might be interested in the bookring thing, depends on what the book is! :D

I am a member too - but I only released 3 books, never picked up, and I lost interest. Maybe I will try again and get more into the spirit of it!

I used to belong to a different forum for booklovers where Bookcrssing was brought up by a few ardent supporters.. I actually never got around to doing anything until last night actually.. I decided to release a few books that I no longer read or have duplicates of. Released my first book yesterday :D Hope somebody finds him so he won't be lonely too long....

The book I have chosen is The Shipping News by Annie Proulx.

If you still want to be part of the bookring PM me and I shall put you on the list.

I'm a bookcrosser too - my name is "Flingo" funnily enough.

I have just received the book crossing merchandise that I bought about a month ago - with release kit - so am looking forward to freeing some books!

Claire your username is Second-Mouse - I have this from when you sent me Zen :)

Thanks Tess! (I don't suppose you know the pin for my co-op card as well do you.......no? Oh well, never mind....)

Yup, sign me up, please. I've heard of The Shipping News, but I know nothing at all about it - how exciting!!

I'd like to join too please! Im Zippy32 in Bookcrossing. I've always meant to read The shipping news & never got round to it.

I've only released 2 books so far and had not much success - one went abroad which I was v. excited about but no word since. The other I left in a local restaurant under my chair and they've put it in their bookcase!

If anyone's in Glasgow and visits Mother India's Cafe on Argyle St feel free to pick up the copy of Anita & Me - It's bright pink so you can't miss it!

Hmmm.... long time since this thread was started! I'd actually forgotten all about it until I got The Shipping News from MFJ this morning! Was there ever a thread set up to discuss it...? I have looked but couldn't find anything! :confused:

Anyway, I'll be making a start on it soon I hope, just got to remember to pack it for the final move back to uni this weekend! :D

I didn't set up a thread to discuss it on BGO, the idea instead is to make a journal entry with your thoughts on the bookcrossing website, this therefore becomes a record of where the book has travelled and what people have thought. Incidentally, MFJ hasn't posted his thoughts on the book so a slapped wrist for him! :P

It would be nice to also have a discussion on BGO so I may start a thread soon (or MFJ could, to make up for his scandalous bookcrossing effort!!)

Er... I'll consider my wrist well and truly slapped, then. (Note to self - show no sympathy to Tess after next Tuesday's game! ;) )

In advance of my posting some thoughts on BXing, I will say that I really enjoyed this highly unusual book. An odd narrative style, but very effective. I was several chapters in before I realised that the story is set in modern times - I thought it was taking place at least 50 years ago - no idea why, but I did! I enjoyed the way that the thoughts of the main character were occasionally expressed as newspaper headlines - I even found myself doing this earlier today ("Man in hurry pees on own shoe").

I'm also a member of Bookxing and have read any number of books I would never have heard of until I joined. Here in Birmingham we have two Official Bookxing zones i.e. a shelf in Hudson's Coffee shop in Colmore Row and the Electric Cinema in Station Street. People leave books there, after they have been registered on Bookxing, and anyone can take them - hopefully they will then join and journal which book they have found.

Page 3 of original thread

Mungus 3rd July 2006 10:06 PM

I've just clicked on Abbynormal92234's link in her first post. From her listing and the other posts here, I'd say bookcrossing is doing much better in the US than in the UK!

Starry 3rd July 2006 10:17 PM

I've just clicked on Abbynormal92234's link in her first post. From her listing and the other posts here, I'd say bookcrossing is doing much better in the US than in the UK!

Are you going by her release stats? The releases caught figure includes books that she has sent out to other bookcrossers so may not reflect her actual wild catches. Take a look at my shelf if you like:

http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/Starry-Starry

I've actually had 5 wild catches not the 268 shown there. The average catch rate is between 15% and 20% and the UK is no better or worse than the US, it all depends on where you live and how many active bookcrossers are in the area. Your chances are higher if you release in an Official Bookcrossing Zone or in an area where there has been a lot of publicity. For example, Radio Shropshire has a regular Friday slot where bookcrossing activities are discussed and Radio Coventry does regular updates and interviews with bookcrossers. Chances are also higher if you talk to the person who picks up the book. Some bookcrossers are shameless in their promotion of bookcrossing, but it does work

Flingo 3rd July 2006 10:20 PM

The monthly (fortnightly?) bookcrossing newsletter gives a breakdown of books released and caught for the period.

The US does have a much higher percentage of these, but I wouldn't have thought these were statistically significant (ooh-er, I didn't think I even knew phrases like that!) if you compared them to population figures. Next time I get one of the newsletters I'll have a closer look and copy the stats in here.

r3nu4l 4th July 2006 03:02 PM

I heard about this on BBC Radio4. They did a pilot study of 10 books and obviously must have inscribed the books with a BBC email address because they got responses for all released books. Amazing stuff and I definitely agree that they should be donated to Charity shops so they can make a few bob on them :)

I found a book on the train a few months ago and thought it might have been a free book in the wild but there was no inscription so I read it and re-released it onto a train. Haven't heard anything back yet.

Mungus 4th July 2006 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Starry

Are you going by her release stats? The releases caught figure includes books that she has sent out to other bookcrossers so may not reflect her actual wild catches. Take a look at my shelf if you like:

http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/Starry-Starry

I was going on the release stats, I hadn't realised that there was a difference. Still, a lot of books sent out there!

PinkyWolfy 13th July 2006 04:56 PM

I'm a huge fan of Bookcrossing, have had about 5 books found and journalled. You don't necessarily have to release books into the wild to enjoy this site - I have traded with many other bookcrossers and read books I wouldn't normally have considered. Here's the link to my shelf - feel free to visit!

http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/DianeO

Adrian 8th August 2006 11:42 AM

From Jebbie74's bookcrossing page I see AVL used. Could someone enlighten me, please.

I really should update my own bookcrossing profile and actually do something :rolleyes:

Adrian 8th August 2006 11:47 AM

It's OK, I got it. AVL=Available.

jebbie74 9th August 2006 12:37 AM

I find bookcrossing is a great place for me to keep my books organized :) I don't do much forum surfing there anymore, but I've met a lot of great people from there, and if I remember correctly, it turned me onto this site. It also got me in touch with a spin-off group called Bookrelay where most of my trades come from, and most of my forum hours are spent :)

I haven't had very many wild catches. 3 in total I think, so I tend not to wild release very often.

Whilst nowhere near as literary as bookcrossing I do like the idea of postcrossing
That sounds interesting. Have you tried it?

That sounds interesting. Have you tried it?

Yes, I've sent three (to Helsinki, Portugal and Germany) but it was only a couple of days ago and they haven't been received and registered by the recipient.

Due to my geographical location I'm hoping to be a high-mileage user (the total miles your cards have travelled) :D

Due to my geographical location I'm hoping to be a high-mileage user (the total miles your cards have travelled) :D
I notice that you have moved from Wellington. Did you move far?

I notice that you have moved from Wellington. Did you move far?

I've moved to the top of the South Island - biggest town in Marlborough in the middle of the biggest wine region :beerchug: