Sign in to follow this  
Abbynormal92243

Bookcrossing

I first heard about THIS group from someone in Bookcrossing-- Has anyone else ever heard of the bookcrossing site? Oh, my gosh---it dovetails neatly into this one---it's about setting books free--making the world a library, basically. I've been a member for a few months, and have already read several books I wouldn't have known about otherwise.

I'm tickled to find a way of tracking where my books go---I've given books away for as long as I can remember----and now I have a chance to peek in on their journeys.

here, if it's not too forward of me: http://bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/abbynormal92243

I have a tutorial link midway down the page that you can check out.

I occasionally trade with others on the site, but usually I just leave my books in odd places all over town.

Please PM me if you have any questions. It's all free, and totally addictive.

I have just joined this because a member (BrumB) of this bookgroup sent me a bookcrossing book. I had never heard of it before and once I realised what it involved I was so excited! I plan to release my first book this weekend, I hope it is logged, I don't think I could take the disappointment of it not being found :(

How much success have you had with your released books?

I have released any number of books and have only had one found in the wild. However, other Bookxers have reassured me that sometimes people don't log them on for a year or more! I suppose it doen't really matter - the point is that someone has found a free book and, hopefully, enjoys it. On the other hand, it is very exciting when your first book is logged on. I think the key may be in leaving them where people are likely to have access to a computer. The one I had found was left in Staff House at Birmingham Uni - the two I left in the Sports Centre never got logged!! It's just as good tho to pass the book on to someone who appreciates it and logs it on - thanks.

I'd love to have the courage to release books in the wild but it hurts to get rid of any of my books, even the ones I didn't really enjoy. I'll have to wait until my bookshelves are bursting and do a cull.

I learnt about bookcrossing ages ago when there was a news report on a mass release in Manchester and I signed up on the site then, but I have yet to release anything...gotta be braver! I do think it is a brilliant idea though.

I joined 'Bookcrossing' (under a different name) last March, very excited at the idea of all these books being 'released into the wild'. I'm afraid it has not lived up to my expectations. Of nearly 70 books 'released' only 5 have been 'found'. Admittedly one went from here in Essex over to the USA, which was exciting, but since then has, like most of the books I have parted with in this way, disappeared from view.

The most successful site for releasing books (with 2 having been found there) has been the physiotherapy department waiting room at the local hospital. An internet cafe has drawn a complete blank!

Mrs Slowreader and I had a look at this but decided that it would be best to continue to give spare books to charity shops as (a)they will make a few bob on them for a good cause and (B) if you leave a book somewhere how do you know that it won't just get thrown in the garbage?

Well, it might get thrown in the garbage but it might not. Someone, who wouldn't otherwise buy or read a book, might find it and read it. What have you got to lose?

There is nothing to stop a Bookcrossing member 'releasing' their books into Charity shops after registering them and inscribing them with Bookcrossing details.

In fact, that is probably the best method, as they are more likely to be picked up by someone who wants a book, and you will be helping the charity. Indeed, someone might buy the book just because they are intrigued by the reference to Bookcrossing.

Must try that myself, I've got a few books ready to go.

Well, it might get thrown in the garbage but it might not. Someone, who wouldn't otherwise buy or read a book, might find it and read it. What have you got to lose?

Well given that the book would be leaving my ownership and I'd recieve nothing for it then I'd lose nothing. That's obvious isn't it? The point I was making was that the book may be trashed, which would be a waste, would it not? Anyway, I'll try Megustaleer's idea - seems like a good one.

I've been a member for nearly two years now and of the 103 books I've released into the wild, 2 have been caught. One I left outside the library and one I donated to charity. I live in an area where there are a lot of retired people who cannot afford computers so I'm not surprised my catch rate is so low. I've probably released half of the books to the charity shops (and I've probably bought half my books from them as well). I like releasing to charity shops because I know the books won't get thrown in the bin without at least an attempt at selling them and given that I live in Wales they won't get wet either :)

Anyone going to the UK (Un)Convention this year?

Well given that the book would be leaving my ownership and I'd recieve nothing for it then I'd lose nothing. That's obvious isn't it? The point I was making was that the book may be trashed, which would be a waste, would it not? Anyway, I'll try Megustaleer's idea - seems like a good one.

Point taken. I am a bit of an optimist and think most people find it difficult to trash a book. However, I think it is a great idea to release books to charity shops and I have found two that way.

I've decided to follow your lead Brum and release books to people from this group, that way I know the book is going to a good home (btw I have listed two books in the book swapping thread!) I still think I will leave some in public just to see what happens, I would be so excited if a book I had left got registered.

Had a book found yesterday, only my second, by a rather grumpy person who said they doubted if they would read it! But it's a result. Will have a look at your list - good idea.

NONE of my wild releases have been journaled----but they've all been picked up!

Something that makes up for that is the delight fellow BXers have gotten from surprise RABCKs from me (Random Acts of BookCrossing Kindness).

They do journal the books, usually, and I know positively that the books have gone to a happy home.

abbeynormal, how do RABCK work? Do you pm the recipient asking for their address? Sorry if this is a stupid question with an obvious answer. Incidentally, in the last few days I have released 4 books and had two journalled - whoopee!

abbeynormal, how do RABCK work? Do you pm the recipient asking for their address? Sorry if this is a stupid question with an obvious answer. Incidentally, in the last few days I have released 4 books and had two journalled - whoopee!

:)

not a stupid question at all!

Yes, you PM the person, tell them you have a book you want to send, and ask for their address.

I was wondering how many of my fellow BGO members also belonged to BookCrossing? If you don't then why not?!!!

The reason being that I was interested in making my own BookCrossing bookring which is where you send a book to one person who then passes it on to the next etc and I would like to do this with BGO members. Each time the book is read a journal entry can be made online and the book should eventually be returned to the original owner. I think its a nice way of sharing some of your favourite books without having to part company forever, it also gives the book the opportunity to see some more of the world!

So are you registered with BookCrossing and what is your username? My BookCrossing name is Izzles.

<A HREF="http://www.bookcrossing.com">BookCrossing</A>

I'm a BookXer too.(Irene45 on that site).

Sadly I have too many reading commitments to join in a bookring at the moment, but hope it goes well.

I too am a Bookxer. My name is Brumbie - no surprise there. Am feeling very smug at present as I took a book to Prague, left it in a phone kiosk and it has found its way to Poland, duly journalled on my Booksing bookshelf. Right now am overwhelmed with books but would be happy to join a bookring latert on in the Autumn.

I'm one too! I'm GirlFromMars84 on there. I joined cos of a book being passed round here, so haven't really used the site much!

I like the idea of a bookring - I do have a lot on my to read/currently being read list at the mo, but I'd be interested in joining!

I'm a member too - BX name - Starry-Starry.

I have two bookrings in the house at the moment and I have been trying to cut back so I get to the TBR pile {sigh} So I would have to say no to your ring at the moment, perhaps later in the year though :)

Good luck