What is next for BGO?

Hello everyone.

About a year ago I took over BGO - not took control but some of the administrative stuff.  And in June I was happy to cover the fees for a year.

To be honest the stie really hasn't moved on much since then.  In anticipation of the arrival of the fees for the next year I wanted to get your views.  Should we continue with the site or should we close it down?  Personally I am happy to keep the site going (it's not that expensive) but it's not my call it is yours.

If it continues I will still keep wandering in to post the odd poem, or add to an old thread, and rot do any 'housekeeping' that needs doing.

If it closes I will miss it after all these years, and I do still pop in most days to take look at any recent activity. 

But as I read nothing these days my presence here doesn’t add to its viability, so my opinion shouldn’t carry much weight.

edited to remove the draft version which should have e been edited before I posted!

The issue is finding a way to bring more people in. Otherwise it's the same problem.

And I don't really see how or why new people would join (let alone be active on the board).

One last push to increase traffic might be worthwhile but I wouldn't know where to start. Maybe send a private message to the people that follow my reviews on Goodreads but that would be a drop in the ocean. 

A forum, after all, is a place of interaction, a place of exchange.

But these days people are far too spontaneous. You think of something, it feels important, you have to say it, you say it...
(It's a bit like peeing in the street actually.)

12 minutes ago, jfp said:

A forum, after all, is a place of interaction, a place of exchange.

That's half the problem. Even here, people don't really seem eager to discuss books or exchange ideas. It can feel confrontational for many.

The other forum (https://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/) seems to encourage blogs rather than individual book reviews which, in my opinion, also doesn't lend itself to discussion. 

The internet might just have made us all a little insular, detached, and lazy.

17 hours ago, hux said:

The internet might just have made us all a little insular, detached, and lazy.

I think you may be right.  I know that when I join conversations on a forum I have to take a long time to frame my answer, ensuring I get my thoughts across without causing an argument.

• 4 weeks later...