Workin' It!: RuPaul's Guide to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Style

RuPaul Charles to be exact.  He (or she when in drag) is the most famous drag queen on the planet. This is his guide to achieving anything you want to achieve.

The book is expensive but when you hold it it looks and feels expensive. It has a hard cover with rounded corners, glossy pages, also with rounded corners, is full colour and has very many photographs of Ru in drag. He describes in detail how he gets into full drag and it's a lot of effort - six hours apparently. So when he says workin' it he's being serious. 

It is not as pithy as advertised, I was looking for a lot more of the life lessons that he'd learned along the way and that is touched on but he does not go into it in depth. For example, he constantly repeats on his show (RuPaul's Drag Race) "If you can't love yourself then how are you going to love someone else?" which is true and he touches on that in the book but does not say how to love yourself. I suppose that that would be different for everybody but I would have preferred to have been given an example of how he came to love himself, and not become arrogant.

It's an easy read and not long, I read it in one sitting but I'm glad I did read it and I certainly enjoyed it. 

Recommended.

• lunababymoonchild changed the title to Workin' It!: RuPaul's Guide to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Style